Is any running linux? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > ASSOCIATED INTERESTS > Gaming & Technology
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-11-2006
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Is any running linux?

Windows crashed on my laptop @%*&^%$#@<> and despite many hours of trying the only way I could get it to boot up was to reformat the drive .Seeing how I was given a starter pack for open SUSE Linux 10.1 and am currently cheesed off with XP I thaught about installing it the only reservation I have is will it be stable enough to run Ozi explorer through WINE and do I need windows on a seperate partition for it to work
Old 24-11-2006
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts

I ran Linux for a while (can't remember which one now). It was really stable and didn't waste CPU on paper clips that keep popping up to try and help you. But I couldn't get a driver for my old network card and thus couldn't connect to broadband, as my other PC is using the only USB port available, so I reverted back to Microsoft.

As a UNIX administrator it pains me to say this, but I have decided, for me, microsoft is better for the home PC and I'll leave UNIX for the mission critical enterprise class servers.
Old 26-11-2006
AJOR Silver

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I have a triple boot (Linux, MacOSX, WINXP) on my laptop and due to the same reason as Hillsjeep, WINXP gets used all the time. I like OSX (runs heaps faster then WINXP) but can't get drivers working.

BTW Norton System Works is pretty good at cleaning up your registry and making your PC run a lot more stable.
JMHO
Old 08-03-2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankieone
Windows crashed on my laptop @%*&^%$#@<> and despite many hours of trying the only way I could get it to boot up was to reformat the drive .Seeing how I was given a starter pack for open SUSE Linux 10.1 and am currently cheesed off with XP I thaught about installing it the only reservation I have is will it be stable enough to run Ozi explorer through WINE and do I need windows on a seperate partition for it to work
According to there website it does work under linux http://www.oziexplorer3.com/support/...her/linux.html pretty good write up on how to get it working using wine.
With Linux it would be a good idea to look for a live cd to test on the laptop to make sure all the hardware is detected correctly, most modern distributions have a livecd version, runs entirely from cd. This allows you to play with linux with out having to partion drives and leaves the existing setup as it is.
If the livecd works then most have an option to install to hard drive, just read everything presented to you onscreen as the install proceeds, as some dont have any provision for partitioning the hard drive.
Old 12-04-2007
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What other applications/programs do you need to run on in?
Usually unstable XP installs are due to what you've installed.

If you click yes to all the pop-up's on sites you visit then it's gonna have alot of spyware/crap installed.
Old 14-04-2007
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have 2 kids who will click on anything

I ended up running duel boot linux/XP
Old 14-04-2007
Rock Munki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey mate,

You can try using the Ubuntu Live CD to give it a try, the linux OS runs off the CD, if you like it then install it. Personally i wouldnt use it cause of compatibility issues but you can give it a crack and see how you like it without installing it.

Ubuntu is a more modern windows style linux.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Cheers
Joe
Post New Thread  Reply