1 Speed Auto or Manual - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > MK Patriot
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-06-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 1 Speed Auto or Manual

What is better, The Manual or the 1 Speed Auto? a friend of mine is looking at buy a Patriot but isnt sure about the 1 speed. Anyone had any issues with the 1 speed or should it be something that she keeps away from?
Old 28-06-2011
Sideways Slammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I would say the Manual rather than the CVT.

Google Jeep Patriot Forum.

A lot of reading reagarding the CVT tranny.
Old 30-06-2011
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

I had an X-Trail with a CVT and in the end that was the reason I got rid of it. With the X-Trail specifically there were issues with the CVT getting confused and going into limp mode (not nice when you're half way up a steep fire trail believe me). Nissan had no clue what the issue was and in the end started fitting new gearboxes under warranty when a few people started having the same issues. That said, I can't comment on the strength/durability of the CVT boxes used by Jeep as I know nothing about them but I've heard of a lot of manufacturers having issues with them, particularly in larger cars.

For me the most difficult thing to get used to was the way the CVT works. It was actually quite good on the freeway, when you needed to overtake you put your foot down hard, it found the most suitable revs for max power and kept the revs in that spot giving you max power until you eased off. It worked well in situations like that and made overtaking effortless and in theory as quick as it could possibly me. The bit I didn't like was when it did the same thing around town. If you were pulling away up a slight slope for instance it would detect you needed more power and then take the revs sky high, relying on power rather than torque. It always seemed like it was pulling too high revs and you feel stupid pulling away in a quiet suburban area with the engine reving twice as hard as it would be if it were a manual or a standard auto.

Reliability problems aside, I wouldn't personally have another one just purely because I didn't like the way they drove. For me it spoilt the experience of driving. However, that is a very subjective thing as other people may like (or at least not care about) the way they drive. My advice would be to search the forums specific to that gearbox/car and see if there have been any reliability issues and if that looks OK then see if they can get one for an extended test drive so that they can get a feel for whether they like the CVT or not before they decide.
Old 01-07-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

CVT - best left to scooters and heavy agricultural equipment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continu...e_transmission
Old 03-07-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, Gold Coast living....suspect you'll do best with the manual. I've had my Patriot less than a year and do have the CVT. I love it - but mainly because I live in Perth and have to contend with 2 hours, or more, of rush hour traffic every day. It is superb in stop and go traffic. It gears way down so you don't have to touch the brakes anywhere near as often as a 'normal' car. It also, as mentioned, moves along nicely when overtaking etc....Quicksmart passing....I am impressed.
I haven't done a lot of bush-bashing - nor do I intend to. My job takes me out to the goldfields/agricultural areas and I have done some decent trailing with it....Even with the CVT it does handle that as well, probably even better, than an early Forester I previously had. I say better - only because the suspension on the Patriot is first class soaking up the bumps....and it is much better highway cruising. Haven't bogged it, and it seems happy enough in reasonable mud levels and soft sandy areas....
All that said - if I wasn't contending with stationary freeways from hell....I'd go with the manual. But the CVT has been working fine for me in the city and the light bush work I've thrown at it. With the 2010 CVT Patriot you also get the privacy glass (superb quality too - really blocks vision into the vehicle - and keeps your belongings safe - a bonus for me with my tools etc) and adds steering wheel audio controls. Hope that helps....as a sidenote my wife had a CVT Mitsubishi Cold for three years...no issues with that one either. She recently traded it for a larger car that suits her work and (LOL) shopping better.
Old 27-07-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I have CVT and never will again.
Old 29-08-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love CVT's, all depends on your driving style...