KJ dual battery - Installed! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2004
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default KJ dual battery - Installed!

Does anyone know if its possible to fit a second battery under the lid of the 2.8L diesel KJ? With a little bit of creative re-arrangement, it looks like it might be possible make up a new battery tray, and move the battery and fuse box around to accomodate a second battery.

Before I start to experiment myself, has anybody else already tried?

--
-= Mark
Old 09-05-2004
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are acouple of older threads on this topic, you might want to do a search. I dont know how different the engine placement is between the petrol and diesel but there is no way I (or piranah) could see getting a 2nd battery under the bonnet.
Old 11-05-2004
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmm.. couldn't find any posts particular to a KJ dual battery. Anyway, called up Piranha and I'll try to drop in there later this week for them to offer their opinion
Old 11-05-2004
UH OH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If they have a solution I'd be interested in knowing as well.
Old 14-05-2004
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Took the KJ to Piranha last night, and they had a bit of a look, and an umm and an aah about it, and they reckon they can squeeze another battery in there.

Only issue is that the guy I spoke to wasn't entirely confident that a standard battery would fit in, and I may be forced to fork out the $400-$450 for the lower profile Optima deep cycle to sit next to the Optima cranking battery. Which wouldn't be an all bad thing, except I don't think I'd get my money's worth out of an Optima.

Next week the Jeep is going in for the long range tank and ARB bull-bar, but when I get it back I'll be dropping it off to Piranha for them to have a play with it. Will keep you posted on progress.

--
-= Mark
Old 27-05-2004
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dropped the Jeep into Piranha this morning for them to see what they can do about making a tray. By the time I pick it up this evening, they should have a template to make a jig from, and also be able to tell me if a standard battery will fit, or if I have to go for an Optima.
Old 27-05-2004
UH OH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

See if ya can get some piccies of the progress. Tell them they'll have another customer in me when it's all sorted out.
Post New Thread  Reply