Stalling on warm up cycle - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-08-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Default Stalling on warm up cycle

I've had this issue intermittently for over a year now and thought it would just be a matter of replacing the TPS, I was wrong...

...after replacing the TPS I still have an intermittent stalling issue, that is until the motor reaches operating temp and then it idles OK?
I was told to have the injectors cleaned and see if that fixes it but does anyone here have any other thoughts on what should I check or replace next?

01 Manual TJ stock 4.0L K&N 160,000k 3" 33x10's 4.10 lower long arms SYE 4wheel disk's
Old 18-08-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/je...d-out-1357978/

Give this a try...
Old 18-08-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 145 Times in 89 Posts

Also don't think that because the TPS has been replaced , that its not the issue.
Have heard of heaps of dodgy new TPS's.
Old 18-08-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 288 Times in 210 Posts

I have read that the 4.0L engine can be a little unhappy with platinum plugs on some topic threads on the US forums.
Yet my daughters 4.0L WG had well used copper champion plugs when we purchased it at around 177,000kms, in the subsequent service I swapped in Autolite double platinums and they were faultless for 90,000kms they were only swapped out to troubleshoot another engine problem which turned out to be a worn out cam sensor drive, not the sensor the actual drive unit suffered a bearing failure causing the cam timing to scatter.

Recently I swapped in Bosch Platinum plugs and the car is now going through 300,000kms without and spark plug related issues.

It did sometimes stall in the hot weather a few summers ago only when the A/C was running but cleaning the IAC valve fixed that fault.

Last edited by Classic Boy; 18-08-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 19-08-2017
Established Member

Thanks for the responses. Guess I'll replace plugs, clean the IAC valve and its high time the injectors were cleaned, I'll post back when that's done.

Funny thing is, since I changed out the TPS I seem to be getting better acceleration, also, when stopped at the lights it either stalls or drops to about 3 or 400rpm and juuuuust keeps ticking over, again, only when warming up and to be clear, it's running really smooth, even when the idle does drop to 300rpm

rant...
So, it feels a bit like I'm driving my old V8 SS Hatchback, (less the 350 bhp that is) when you come off the juice it's like standing on the brakes, right down until your almost stationary. I need to be really precise with gear changes but I like it, it's more fun to drive.
I'm guessing whatever's not working correctly must hold the butterfly open a little to help negate gear changes by keeping the revs up, or rather, stopping the revs from falling too quickly?

If it wasn't for the stalling issue and provided you don't need to come to a complete stop, I'd prefer it the way it is, you get more compression braking from the 4.0 when you come off the skinny pedal and that's handy offroad and more fun to drive on road.
Old 01-10-2017
Established Member

I cleaned out the throttle body (was filthy), replaced the TPS and installed new plugs.

The stalling has stopped but now the engine's running rough during the warm-up cycle" and when I first start it it's over-revving to about 2-2500 RPM.
Once it's at operating temperature it's mostly fine again.

I'm hoping to get the fuel system checked and the injectors cleaned next week, hope that fixes it.
Old 01-10-2017
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Does the jeep motor have an IAC valve? Sounds like an IAC valve or equivalent. They gunk up pretty frequently on folks who use throttle body cleaners. My old Mazda had the same symptoms till I replaced the valve. On inspection the old one was full of dried crud.
Post New Thread  Reply