Civilian Owned Firearms, what do we think? - Page 13 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-09-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 95 Times in 63 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvesdodo View Post
That little fact needs to be repeated often .. and loudly ..

... and a slingshot, is illegal in most states ..

Seems back in '96 when the rules were bought in ... and a 5round magazine capacity, pump action shotgun was deemed still "legal" ... The "scary looking", 8round magazine capacity version was not "legal".

Scariness is a big factor in our firearms legislation ... particularly "scaremongering" ..
slight adjustment, the 8 round pump shotgun is still legal, its just a different category. the smaller capacity is category C, the largert category D. there are still psople with cat D, the aerial cullers mentioned earlier would be. cat c is smaller capacity pump shotguns, and semi auto rimfires, cat D is semi auto centre fires and larger capacity pump shotguns. no point shooting at a mob of pigs (or any pigs) with a rimfire, they probably wouldnt even feel it. i believe the minimum calibre for aerial culling is around a .308. smaller wouldnt be humane.
Old 29-09-2013
Established Member

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
yeah its a good bus

1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo its mostly for dirt roads and slightly rough tracks as most of my hunting and other pass times involve me walking etc

i am not big into "4wding" as such any more as it costs lots and if you dont have 35's or similar your not going many places down here any more

have fun in NZ....its a one day dream for me to get there.....Hunting and Riding

Cheers Steve
Cheers mate! I enjoy a good ride too, I have too many expensive hobbies, but a bloke needs his fun escapes! Hope you make it there one day

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvesdodo View Post
That little fact needs to be repeated often .. and loudly ..

... and a slingshot, is illegal in most states ..

Seems back in '96 when the rules were bought in ... and a 5round magazine capacity, pump action shotgun was deemed still "legal" ... The "scary looking", 8round magazine capacity version was not "legal".

Scariness is a big factor in our firearms legislation ... particularly "scaremongering" ..
Too true, like how "military style" firearms are illegal because they're too scary. It is illegal to carry a firearm that looks like a fully auto military firearm even if it is not. A bolt action .22 that looks like an GSG-5 is illegal to possess.
Furthermore you can even be charged for the possession of an imitation firearm if you have a plastic toy gun bought at a children's toy store when you remove the orange tip.
I remember removing the tip when I was 5 or so on my cap guns, I had no idea it was illegal!

Another backwards arse restriction in relation to the topic; it is illegal for me to obtain any pump action shotgun** but it's perfectly legal for a pump action centerfire, classified the same as a bolt action rifle. In addition to this, I own a lever action 12ga shotgun which can hold 7 rounds total and can fire a little slower than a pump action, yet it is completely legal and is a Category A firearm, the same as an air rifle.

**As wombat stated, you have to be a professional shooter to obtain Cat C or D firearms which I am not, but it is possible for those who are primary producers, pest controllers, etc to obtain.

Last edited by aido_3927; 29-09-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 29-09-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Old 29-09-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 95 Times in 63 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aido_3927 View Post
Cheers mate! I enjoy a good ride too, I have too many expensive hobbies, but a bloke needs his fun escapes! Hope you make it there one day

Too true, like how "military style" firearms are illegal because they're too scary. It is illegal to carry a firearm that looks like a fully auto military firearm even if it is not. A bolt action .22 that looks like an GSG-5 is illegal to possess.
Furthermore you can even be charged for the possession of an imitation firearm if you have a plastic toy gun bought at a children's toy store when you remove the orange tip.
I remember removing the tip when I was 5 or so on my cap guns, I had no idea it was illegal!

Another backwards arse restriction in relation to the topic; it is illegal for me to obtain any pump action shotgun** but it's perfectly legal for a pump action centerfire, classified the same as a bolt action rifle. In addition to this, I own a lever action 12ga shotgun which can hold 7 rounds total and can fire a little slower than a pump action, yet it is completely legal and is a Category A firearm, the same as an air rifle.

**As wombat stated, you have to be a professional shooter to obtain Cat C or D firearms which I am not, but it is possible for those who are primary producers, pest controllers, etc to obtain.
yeah, the definitions are ridiculous. i actually own a remington 7615. fires the same cartridge as an AR15 (the full auto version is the M16), pump action so i can still fire it fast, i can even legally own a 30 round magazine (however customs will stop me importing replacement magazines, dont get me started on that) for it here in SA (it actually takes AR15 magazines), but if i want a 4 round pump shotgun im not allowed...... the rifle has a significantly longer range than any shotgun too....

im looking into getting a lever shotgun as well, much better for spotlighting on my mates farm (im a city boy, but have access to shooting ferals on farms in the mallee) more rounds the better, its not easy to hit a moving target while standing on the tray of a moving ute. i need the extra shots
Old 29-09-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMeat View Post
For those that wonder why law abiding firearms citizens get super annoyed when more restrictions are placed on them: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-2...lunder/4031190

Just one of the failings at the border - yet the law abiding citizens get reamed even more...

GariJ, not trying to pick a fight here, but can you please let us know what you had to go through to get your bow - which, when you break it down - is considered a 'weapon' just like a firearm - and if not a weapon, please justify

Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Whitemeat I am more than happy to field any question that’s what makes this a healthy debate and an excellent thread. As I am sure you and most of the hunting community are aware I went through nothing to purchase the bow. I even had it shipped by Fed Ex and Australia post from overseas with its ammunition. In fact the only issue with its import was the wood it was made from lol.

I most certainly agree with you to a point, the bow is a weapon. And I mean that in the strictest sense of the word. By its design it was created to inflict damage. The point at which I disagree with you is the “considered a “weapon” just like a firearm” statement. There is a vast contrast between bows and guns and to a lesser extent bows and crossbows with respect to their lethality.

This is largely a function of projectile velocity I think the highest poundcrossbows fire a quarrel at about 600fps while big draw weight compound bows are around the 450fps mark. Some major league baseball players can pitch at 150fps that would be equivalent to say a 45lbs bow. The average bows used for deer are about 200 fps so you can see they really aren’t similar to guns in that respect. I think the average .308 rifle fires a round at about 2800fps so not really the same thing.

I also believe that’s bows are so culturally accepted and thus un regulated because they predate written history and have for the last 200 years been used solely for hunting.

When hunting deer I have to get within 10m to ensure a kill 15m to wound and chase. And this is hunting with an 80lbs recurve. With the 110lbs longbow I might be able to get the same animal from maybe 25-30m. What could you shoot the same deer at? 400-500m? So again the lethality is very different. Regarding rates of fire I reckon I could get off maybe three well aimed arrows at a 50m target in a minute. Maybe 8-10 with zero accuracy with either bow before my shoulder and arms are done for the next few minutes.

Anyone can pick up your rifle even a child and fire it increasing its lethality. If and child could draw either of my bows I would awe struck. I’m impressed when a full grown man can draw either of them.

Cross bows are regulated because they are concealable and store their energy in a similar way to a gun. Thus a gun and cross bow can be discharged unintentionally a bow obviously needs to be drawn and released by the user. This combined with its low lethality and cultural acceptance make them unrestricted in my opinion although I’m sure most of you will disagree.

Yes they are dangerous but by comparison they aren’t really in the same ball park.

Having said all that I do believe compound bows should have some form of regulation due to their increased lethality. And I also believe that cross bows should be regulated just like low powered firearms. But the last thing I want is to turn this into a guns vs bows debate. I’m more than happy for people to use guns for sport as long as it’s strictly regulated. I don’t because for me the health benefits of owning a firearm don’t out way the health risks.
Old 29-09-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat756 View Post
They aren't cowboys. Semi autos are perfectly legal under the right licence. There is however a difference between semi auto ( fires once each time the trigger is pulled) and auto (pull and hold the trigger and the gun continues to fire until the magazine is empty). As said previously, full auto hasn't been legal on this country for decades. Semi auto still is legal, just more restricted than before 96.

Semi auto is definitely needed for the aerial cullers. It would just not be cost effective with a bolt action, they wouldn't kill anywhere enough ferals to justify the helicopter fuel.
hmm i had a full auto licence in Tasmania prior to 1996 the only place you could use them was on a designated range eg Pontville

Bren, uzi ,mini 14 converted.......all handed in and all full auto....not semi's
Old 29-09-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry didnt see your post fil but the answer is in my rather long previous post lol.
Post New Thread  Reply