Civilian Owned Firearms, what do we think? - Page 19 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-09-2013
searcher

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat756 View Post
If your definition holds true, then AR15 definitely don't fit the criteria. They aren't selectable and are semi auto only.
When california first banned Assault rifles the criteria was a bayonet lug.
Old 30-09-2013
AJOR Bronze

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Well, this WAS an interesting thread but with everyone trying to get technical and show their brilliance, it's become..... Well, a bit of a wankfest.

I'm a Paramedic and have been for nearly 10 years. I've seen people wounded by gun shit, arrow and knife. In my opinion, an intentional knife wound is usually the worst. The wound can go in and change direction. Blades can be serrated and all kinds of shapes.

From my perspective, the "Which is the lesser evil" debate is stupid. The only answer is NONE. Ideally, humans would not harm humans with any weapon, other than in war or when legally justified. However, people will always find ways to hurt each other. Keeps my job interesting!

Australia's strict gun laws have defiantly saved countless lives. We have had zero mass murders like Americas, since Johhny bought those laws in. So that's made the laws worth while for that alone. I think there should be more time and money spent educating at young ages about violence and anger management.

We can take away the guns, we can take away the bows and arrows, we could even take away knives and forks, it is feasible we could remove every single potential weapon from society and still the fact remains "One punch can kill". Do we cut people's hands off? Do we stop human contact because we might fight and kill?

In today's society there is an incredible culture of violence and a just as incredible culture of blame shifting and avoiding responsibility (Politicians are the best at it). We need better education,not better laws. We need to stop punishing or restricting rights of those who do right just to get those doing wrong. Blanket laws across one area, sport, community, association, group etc just to get at the wrong doers lurking with in that group, community etc, isn't the answer. It's called collateral damage and isn't acceptable just because no one got hurt by it.

They can make a law that says no one can own certain types of guns or a certain sport is now illegal, then they can make a law that says anyone that's a member or associated with an outlaw motorcycle group, found with ANY criminal history is breaking a law and can be jailed. And not just bikies, it can be any group/gang. Stop the hanging out, meeting, standing in the same bus queue. The biggest problem with guns in the world, is from gangs. We only have a few of them in Australia. So maybe stamp out the gangs, not the shooters.

To put my views in perspective, I'm: ex Army, ex sniper, ex sport hunter, ex target shooter, ex boxer, ex martial artsfighter, ex bouncer from Sydney in places like Kings X- Parramatta-City, ex troublesome youth who was saved from bigtrouble by 1 Polieman who guided me towards the Army and currently a husband, a Dad and a paramedic. I gave up my guns years ago by personal choice - I just didnt want to jump through all those hoops just to own guns. I walk away from any kind of trouble, fighter aggression. I'm not a zen Buddhist or Chopper Reid reformist activist but I am certainly someone who would love to see less guns on the street.

If there is a way to ensure they stay in safes and only with responsible users, then I'm all for it. however, s long as the lunatic elements keep getting hold of them, the farmers and sport shooters will get grief. These bikies keep shooting our coppers and it won't be long until the laws get tighter. Years ago I got excited about the forming of the shooters party but they have proven to be ball less that's.why aren't they vocal about in erasing the laws against the trouble makers? Can't they see its only time before society and law makers point the finger at THE GUN?

We need society to be less glorifying of violence and greater emphasis on responsibility and self governance. I could easily walk next door, punch out my sigh our and take what I want but I am a member of society and I take responsibility for my actions and I govern my own actions.

Rant over..... Not bad considering I was only going to say the thread was way off topic....... hahahahahahaha!
Old 30-09-2013
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,580 Times in 4,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusJatzman View Post
Well, this WAS an interesting thread but with everyone trying to get technical and show their brilliance, it's become..... Well, a bit of a wankfest.

I'm a Paramedic and have been for nearly 10 years. I've seen people wounded by gun shit, arrow and knife. In my opinion, an intentional knife wound is usually the worst. The wound can go in and change direction. Blades can be serrated and all kinds of shapes.

From my perspective, the "Which is the lesser evil" debate is stupid. The only answer is NONE. Ideally, humans would not harm humans with any weapon, other than in war or when legally justified. However, people will always find ways to hurt each other. Keeps my job interesting!

Australia's strict gun laws have defiantly saved countless lives. We have had zero mass murders like Americas, since Johhny bought those laws in. So that's made the laws worth while for that alone. I think there should be more time and money spent educating at young ages about violence and anger management.

We can take away the guns, we can take away the bows and arrows, we could even take away knives and forks, it is feasible we could remove every single potential weapon from society and still the fact remains "One punch can kill". Do we cut people's hands off? Do we stop human contact because we might fight and kill?

In today's society there is an incredible culture of violence and a just as incredible culture of blame shifting and avoiding responsibility (Politicians are the best at it). We need better education,not better laws. We need to stop punishing or restricting rights of those who do right just to get those doing wrong. Blanket laws across one area, sport, community, association, group etc just to get at the wrong doers lurking with in that group, community etc, isn't the answer. It's called collateral damage and isn't acceptable just because no one got hurt by it.

They can make a law that says no one can own certain types of guns or a certain sport is now illegal, then they can make a law that says anyone that's a member or associated with an outlaw motorcycle group, found with ANY criminal history is breaking a law and can be jailed. And not just bikies, it can be any group/gang. Stop the hanging out, meeting, standing in the same bus queue. The biggest problem with guns in the world, is from gangs. We only have a few of them in Australia. So maybe stamp out the gangs, not the shooters.

To put my views in perspective, I'm: ex Army, ex sniper, ex sport hunter, ex target shooter, ex boxer, ex martial artsfighter, ex bouncer from Sydney in places like Kings X- Parramatta-City, ex troublesome youth who was saved from bigtrouble by 1 Polieman who guided me towards the Army and currently a husband, a Dad and a paramedic. I gave up my guns years ago by personal choice - I just didnt want to jump through all those hoops just to own guns. I walk away from any kind of trouble, fighter aggression. I'm not a zen Buddhist or Chopper Reid reformist activist but I am certainly someone who would love to see less guns on the street.

If there is a way to ensure they stay in safes and only with responsible users, then I'm all for it. however, s long as the lunatic elements keep getting hold of them, the farmers and sport shooters will get grief. These bikies keep shooting our coppers and it won't be long until the laws get tighter. Years ago I got excited about the forming of the shooters party but they have proven to be ball less that's.why aren't they vocal about in erasing the laws against the trouble makers? Can't they see its only time before society and law makers point the finger at THE GUN?

We need society to be less glorifying of violence and greater emphasis on responsibility and self governance. I could easily walk next door, punch out my sigh our and take what I want but I am a member of society and I take responsibility for my actions and I govern my own actions.

Rant over..... Not bad considering I was only going to say the thread was way off topic....... hahahahahahaha!
This is probably the most informative post on this thread. It shows some one has spent some time thinking through things.
Much of the so called "physics & other tech info" is at best poor opinion. High school physics is at best very weak when it comes to investigating this sort of projectile motion.
I see we even have popular TV getting a mention. Very little rigorous investigation is undertaken for Mythbusters. Its predominantly just entertainment for the moronic masses.
Old 30-09-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusJatzman View Post

For a thread you think is of topic (I do agree) and a bit of a wankfest (debatable but I can see your perspective) that was a sizeable off topic rant.
Old 30-09-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
This is probably the most informative post on this thread. It shows some one has spent some time thinking through things.
Much of the so called "physics & other tech info" is at best poor opinion. High school physics is at best very weak when it comes to investigating this sort of projectile motion.
I see we even have popular TV getting a mention. Very little rigorous investigation is undertaken for Mythbusters. Its predominantly just entertainment for the moronic masses.
LOL, what pomp. You speak of “so called physics” as though it were black magic. I’m sure both Leibniz and Bernoulli would be ever so grateful to hear of you describe their formula as high school physics. I’m curious as an ex mathematic lecturer etc etc how you can view the application of the theory of kinetic energy to describe an objects energy as poor opinion?

Mythbusters for the moronic masses but lying with statistics’ a top read eh.
Old 30-09-2013
Established Member

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GariJ View Post
LOL, what pomp. You speak of “so called physics” as though it were black magic. I’m sure both Leibniz and Bernoulli would be ever so grateful to hear of you describe their formula as high school physics. I’m curious as an ex mathematic lecturer etc etc how you can view the application of the theory of kinetic energy to describe an objects energy as poor opinion?

Mythbusters for the moronic masses but lying with statistics’ a top read eh.
Yeah apparently things like trajectory and kinetic energy can't be calculated via physics haha

Besides, in regards to other posts, I don't see how a technical comparison of two different types of weapons, one of which is unregulated and unrestricted while the other is the opposite, is really all that off topic from the original post about gun laws.

Eg. A 12 year old kid can buy a bow of the shelf, capable of killing a deer at close distance and do target practice in his back yard, whereas someone who is even licensed is unable to use an air rifle anywhere but a rural property or at a range, of which he would have a hard time taking down a fox or dog at the same distance.
Old 30-09-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,947 Times in 2,329 Posts

Well said, AusJatzman......................
no more to add.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply