NEW......T36 Alternator Recall - Page 24 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaz View Post
Sounds like he is sick of dealing with it - I think you guys have worn it thin with the questions that Jeep Customer care should be dealing with.
I just sent an email to him:

Good afternoon Robert,

Please find attached a copy of the New Safety Recall Advanced Communication – T3607112017 issued by FCA prior to the T36 recall. I note that in the Advanced Communication the 220 amp alternator fitted to Grand Cherokees equiped with electrohydraulic steering was identified as being subject to the recall.

As the owner of a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel I am deeply concerned at the number of reported failures of the alternators fitted to these vehicles on the Australian market. I note that the T36 recall issued by FCA doesn't cover the vehicles (with the diesel) available in Australia 2011- 2013 but applies to the vehicles available in the US even though the same alternator/electrohydraulic steering combination is fitted to the vehicles available in both markets.

When will all Australian owners of these vehicles with this alternator/electrohydraulic steering combination receive this safety recall that is issued to address the issue of: "When the diodes fail, the alternator will no longer supply electrical energy to the vehicle and may lead to a vehicle stall without warning. Failed diodes may also develop a resistive short circuit that can result in heat, smoke and/or fire originating within the alternator."?

If you require any further information to support resolution of this issue please let me know.

Cheers
Old 01-02-2018
CrawlerStar

Just sent an email to Jeep US with a similar enquiry. Will be interesting to see who responds first.
Old 02-02-2018
CrawlerStar

The US team responded first:

Thank you for contacting the FCA US Customer Assistance Center,
> regarding your
> 2013 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LAREDO 4X4 RHD .
>
> Your email was received by the FCA US LLC Customer Assistance Center
> that addresses issues with vehicles currently in the United States.
> We recommend that you contact our office responsible for your area via
> email at;
> au.crt@fcagroup.com or via phone at; 1300 133 079
> That Center is staffed with trained professionals, ready to address your
> concerns.
>
> Thanks again for your email.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Teresa
> Customer Service Representative
> FCA US Customer Assistance Center

I replied with:
Good morning Teresa,

Thank you for your response.

My enquiry to FCA US was not accidental. To date Jeep Australia have not offered their customers a satisfactory explanation that would address the safety concern that I raised in my email that you have responded to.

Since the safety related issue in question is addressed only by the T36 recall issued by FCA US and relates to vehicles built by FCA US I believe FCA US are perfectly and uniquely positioned to answer my enquiry.

If you require any further information to assist in providing a resolution to the safety related issue I have raised please let me know.

Yours sincerely
Old 02-02-2018
CrawlerStar

Got a reply from our friends at Fiat Chrysler Australia:

Hi Lee,

We have not been advised that there is a recall on Diesel Grand Cherokees in Australia at this time

If this recall does come to Australia, all diesel owners will be notified by mail

Regards

Rob

Robert Lawson

Resolutions Desk Officer

Fiat Chrysler Australia

437 Plummer Street

Port Melbourne, Victoria, 3207

Australia

Telephone: 1300 133 079

Email: robert.lawson@fcagroup.com

I replied with:
Good afternoon Robert,

Yes, I am aware that there isn't currently a recall for the Diesel Grand Cherokees in Australia at this time and that, in all likelihood, owners would be notified if this changes.

Could you please clarify what the difference is between petrol powered Grand Cherokees equipped with the 220 Amp alternator/electrohydraulic steering combination that are subject to the T36 recall and the diesel powered Grand Cherokees with the same 220 Amp alternator/electrohydraulic steering combination that are not recalled?

Could you please provide assurance that this difference is such that "When the diodes fail, the alternator will no longer supply electrical energy to the vehicle and may lead to a vehicle stall without warning. Failed diodes may also develop a resistive short circuit that can result in heat, smoke and/or fire originating within the alternator" is not a condition that owners/drivers of the Diesel Grand Cherokees will experience.

If you require any further information please let me know.

Cheers
Old 02-02-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 108 Times in 74 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffomarinus View Post
Got a reply from our friends at Fiat Chrysler Australia:

Hi Lee,

We have not been advised that there is a recall on Diesel Grand Cherokees in Australia at this time

If this recall does come to Australia, all diesel owners will be notified by mail

Regards

Rob

Robert Lawson

Resolutions Desk Officer

Fiat Chrysler Australia

437 Plummer Street

Port Melbourne, Victoria, 3207

Australia

Telephone: 1300 133 079

Email: robert.lawson@fcagroup.com

I replied with:
Good afternoon Robert,

Yes, I am aware that there isn't currently a recall for the Diesel Grand Cherokees in Australia at this time and that, in all likelihood, owners would be notified if this changes.

Could you please clarify what the difference is between petrol powered Grand Cherokees equipped with the 220 Amp alternator/electrohydraulic steering combination that are subject to the T36 recall and the diesel powered Grand Cherokees with the same 220 Amp alternator/electrohydraulic steering combination that are not recalled?

Could you please provide assurance that this difference is such that "When the diodes fail, the alternator will no longer supply electrical energy to the vehicle and may lead to a vehicle stall without warning. Failed diodes may also develop a resistive short circuit that can result in heat, smoke and/or fire originating within the alternator" is not a condition that owners/drivers of the Diesel Grand Cherokees will experience.

If you require any further information please let me know.

Cheers
Interesting now that you state it in plain words. See if ACCC have anything to say, and suggest that US are already taking action for the Diesels.

If the part numbers are identical, there will be a massive alternator shortage as there already is, oem or aftermarket. I noticed these alternators are excessively overpriced, do you think it is because of the current demands/recall currently out there?
Old 05-02-2018
CrawlerStar

No reply yet from Mr Robert Lawson (Resolutions Desk Officer, Fiat Chrysler Australia), I can only assume he is sourcing the correct information to respond with and I can appreciate that sometimes that may not be immediately on hand. No response either from Teresa (Customer Service Representative, FCA US Customer Assistance Center), I wonder who will respond first with a resolution to this safety related issue?

Quote: "When the diodes fail, the alternator will no longer supply electrical energy to the vehicle and may lead to a vehicle stall without warning. Failed diodes may also develop a resistive short circuit that can result in heat, smoke and/or fire originating within the alternator"

Last edited by Buffomarinus; 05-02-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-02-2018
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffomarinus View Post
No reply yet from Mr Robert Lawson (Resolutions Desk Officer, Fiat Chrysler Australia), I can only assume he is sourcing the correct information to respond with and I can appreciate that sometimes that may not be immediately on hand. No response either from Teresa (Customer Service Representative, FCA US Customer Assistance Center), I wonder who will respond first with a resolution to this safety related issue?

Quote: "When the diodes fail, the alternator will no longer supply electrical energy to the vehicle and may lead to a vehicle stall without warning. Failed diodes may also develop a resistive short circuit that can result in heat, smoke and/or fire originating within the alternator"
Their silence could be interpreted as good or bad, but I suspect they know by now that their responses to date aren't cutting it. If they feel cornered, then good. Let's hope FCA & FC US are talking to each other now instead of playing political ping pong. Several of us have written, but thank you for your ongoing efforts and updates Buffomarinus.
Post New Thread  Reply