Catch can for 4.0L I6 - Blowby in pre-update XJ 95 Sport - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-05-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 184 Times in 117 Posts
Default Catch can for 4.0L I6 - Blowby in pre-update XJ 95 Sport

Just changed the oil on my car and Joe mechanic tells me that my air filter is coated in oil.

Air filter not replaced.... It was last changed 10,000 km ago.

My engine has done 230,000 Km, and runs great, has lots of power, and I have just returned from a 5,000km round trip to the interior with sustained speeds of 100km/h for 12 hours on the long stretches.... I can't see the need for a rebuild.

Since the last oil change, the oil level dropped just above 66% in the dipstick upon my return even though I was monitoring during the trip. No noticeable oil spray anywhere in the engine bay and the dipstick did not get dislodged at all. Of course, some of the oil ended up in the air filter...

Should I install an oil catch can? Have you installed a catch can in your XJ Petrol? It is interesting that many of the US Youtube vids about catch cans involve high mileage XJ or TJ 4.0L engines! It says something about the longevity of the engine...

Interested in your thoughts if you have installed Flashlube or any other product. Did it resolve your issue? Where did you bolt it to?
Old 18-05-2018

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Have a look at the small tube running from the rear elbow on the rocker cover to the induction manifold that and the elbow into the rocker cover can become blocked then the engine breaths through the front rocker cover hose directly onto the air filter thus any oil fumes go onto the filter instead of into the induction manifold.
You should be able to blow easily through the small tube into the rocker cover and also through the fitting on the induction manifold.
I have a ZG Grand with the same engine and more K's. mine did a similar thing when I first got the car but after cleaning the rear breather tube fittings all is okay now. mine uses about a half a litre of oil in 10,000Km. It was worse before i replaced the O rings in the filter adaptor. Worth checking out anyway.

Cheers, Denis.
Old 19-05-2018
Full Flexer

Thanks Denis, great advice. I was losing oil at the filler cap a few months ago but not much. I replaced the cap and the oil stopped. It may then have needed to find another avenue. The hose you refer to has been coated in oil near the sleeves which is interesting so I will check it. Probably needs replacing like many other hoses but that is a different thread entirely....

The 4.0L I6 is an amazing design in terms of power and durability and it is very long legged for sustained high speed travel across the country... The drop in oil I described above between servicing is typical even when I am not traveling so I think I am doing OK.

Also wondering, what air filters would you prefer to use? Any reason for that? E.g. cost

Last edited by eksjay; 19-05-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 19-05-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

on other vehicles, a PCV valve, piping, or the hole in the valve cover can be blocked with sludge

one way, (as you indicate) temporarirly remove PCV, clear the hole, and just vent a hose to the atmosphere for a while, see if the problem stops

If you are actually having excessive crankcase pressure due to worn rings, a leakdown test should show that up?

would have thought "Joe the mechanic" would have mentioned these?
Old 19-05-2018
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

as everyone suggested above check the rear ccv hose for blockage ..... and I use flashlube on my 96 with 387363 k on the clock mine was setup for flashlube when I got it as it runs on lpg need to lube the valves they say I recently I had to replace the bottle and hoses it feeds in a vac hose I could get you pics if you want to set up on your car I belive and have heard over the years by people that it is a good product you put flashlube in the fuel tank for older cars
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 19-05-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksjay View Post

The 4.0L I6 is an amazing design in terms of power and durability and it is very long legged for sustained high speed travel across the country... The drop in oil I described above between servicing is typical even when I am not traveling so I think I am doing OK.
I agree the old 4.0 OHV pushrod engine is a little gem, real diamond in the rough. Developing in the 1960's by AMC and by the 1990's all the durability issues had been resolved and they are rock solid reliable even if the same cannot be said for the rest of the car wrapped around it.
Regularly see them running over 400,000kms without the top being touched, whereas that lousy 4.7V8 seems to develop a plethora or problems, I have two of these as V8 grand Cherokees as parts cars both with less than 150,000kms on broken V8's.
When you look on line many sellers are trying to offload broken V8 powered jeeps, rarely is there an I6 for parts as most are still going strong.
Old 22-05-2018
Full Flexer

Pretty sure there is a blockage on the back hose, even though the manifold end has a good vacuum going...

Will look into the Flashlube catch can in the long term as my car is a keeper... 23 years, one owner.
Post New Thread  Reply