GDE Tune from Murchison, keen on feedback. - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-01-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08crd View Post
I had the commander for 9 years, it didn't have a tune, but the best economy I could get was around 10.5l/100klm by sitting around 90klm/hr.
Must say I only did that once on a trip to Kal, after that I thought Fluck it it uses what it uses, which worked out to around 12.5 to 14L/100 around town and on a run.
Cheers 08CRD

Yes it uses what it uses
i just thought they (WH ) might have done a bit better thats all, its still better than my ole XJ i had, on the hwy it used what the WH uses around town LOL.
And i guess i need to remind myself the WH is a 6 after all not a 4.
Old 29-01-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 154 Times in 110 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH3.0 View Post
Cheers 08CRD

Yes it uses what it uses
i just thought they (WH ) might have done a bit better thats all, its still better than my ole XJ i had, on the hwy it used what the WH uses around town LOL.
And i guess i need to remind myself the WH is a 6 after all not a 4.
It is due to the 5 speed gearbox, which is geared for a petrol engine, therefore it causes the diesel to run on higher than optimum revs.
Old 29-01-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 40 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH3.0 View Post
Those commanders must glide through the air better, i also have a GDE Tune on my WH Grand and im stuffed if i can anywhere near that.
im not real happy with my economy, and i dont even drive hard.
recently done a 2200 k trip not towing and averaged 11.7 and thats working it out, not using the trip computer.
Do the Commanders run slower at 110kph, mine runs bout 2400
Yes, for what it's worth the trip computer on my WH is around 0.5-1 L/100 higher than what I calculate my economy to be. Makes comparisons online a bit tricky if some talk in terms of trip computer figures and others in calculated.

Calculated, my WH 3.0 sits between 11-12 L/100 fairly consistently. Highway sees it closer to 11 and heavy city driving with the odd trip to the boat ramp sees it closer to 12. That is without any tune and with 245/70/r17 all terrains.

Last edited by davet; 29-01-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-02-2018

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Hello All

I've sold my jeep - 2006 WH 3.0 V6 with Murchison suspension upgrade - as I went to the Kimberley last year and required a vehicle with much more room so I now have a military series 79 cruiser with a service body on the rear tray. It reminds me so much of my 1979 Cherokee Chief as I drive it.

The reason I am commenting in your discussion is to say that 11 - 12 litres per 100 klm is what my jeep generally returned as fuel consumption. I noticed it increase 1 litre per 100 klm when I fitted BFG all terrains - as the rolling diameter was a little bigger and tred more surface resistance. i also found that the speedo is about 2 - 3 % high when compared to gps devices in my WH vehicle. So I suppose this means the speedo is measuring slightly more kilometres that what is actually being travelled? -- that would mean slightly less fuel used per 100 klm?

Oh the other reason for me entering this discussion is to mention my experience with a retune of the ECU - done to the landcruiser as standard, it is gutless on hills with a caravan behind it - when compared to White Cloud. That is that the fuel consumption increased - more power more fuel - I think its that simple.

So dont be too disappointed if your fuel consumption doesnt improve if you commit to the GDE upgrade - just enjoy the power.

I Am still a jeeper at heart - till the day I die

Happy Trails

Last edited by White Cloud; 12-02-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-02-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 87 Times in 60 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedek View Post
My Results from a trip to Mittagong & back last night With my GDE flash tune from Stu @ Murchison Products.

I actually got it down to 9.2. Pretty Happy with this result.
Totally recommend this for anyone with a 3.0 CRD Commander or G.C.

Thank you Stu!.

Eddy
I got even better from a trip out to Orange & back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3126.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	77094  
Old 26-02-2019
Established Member

Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Mine doesn't do quite as well as that...

Old 05-07-2019
Senior Newbie

Liked 40 Times in 16 Posts

Hi All, for what it's worth this week I finally bit the bullet and got the GDE tune for my 2010. It's early days so far but my observations ;

Sounds more like a diesel, especially when you put your boot into it
Feels a little faster taking off and when you get into the throttle
Feels a lot more nimble around town, what I assume was the turbo lag is now gone. It feels much more responsive to throttle input in a good way and 'lighter' to drive, as if it is not working as hard
Feels smoother and quieter sitting on 60-70km/hr

In all, it's much nicer to drive with the tune than it was before.

I know none of these things are really measurable, just observations. I've kept a close eye on fuel econ. pre-tune so when I have some post-tune data to compare I'll update.

Last edited by davet; 05-07-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply