2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ 2.5 TD VM engine - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2015
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlyboy View Post
Thanks everyone. I will change the Injectors to be at the right place. Then also check the diesel pump timing to make sure that is correct. Then i will check the diesel fuel delivery. Hopefully that will sort out the problems... Tomorrow i first have to get the right socket to take the injectors out. Will keep the updates coming
Checking the injector timing is not easy & requires special tools to do it properly.
I would disconnect the fuel supply hose at the filter, take the fuel cap off & blow compressed air back down the line to make sure its not blocked. best have less than 1/2 a tank of fuel so it doesnt percolate out the filler.
Then reconnect the fuel line & put the cap back on.
Next, take the return line off at the pump. put a length of clear plastic hose on the pipe attached to the pump & have it going into a container (2ltr plastic drink bottle is good), blow compressed air down the return line back to the tank. you will probably be able to hear the tank breather hissing as you get a little pressure in the tank. You should see fuel star to flow into the bottle & bubbles for a while. Once there are no bubbles (after at least 1 ltr of fuel has flowed in to the bottle) remove the air line from the return line, take the plastic hose off & replace the return line back onto the pipe on the pump.
If you have been trying to start it a lot, chances are you have flooded the cylinders with diesel & need to tow start it. When it starts you will get plenty of black smoke.
After you tow start it & let it run for 5 minutes, turn it off & let it sit for 5 minutes & try & start on the starter.
Old 03-06-2015
RubiconSlammer

Liked 821 Times in 362 Posts

With out special tools, There is a way to check the timing, it requires removal of the harmonic balancer, and the whole plate of the front of the engine and then Need to rotate the engine by hand till all the dots on the cogs line up,
One cog has a dot either side of a groove the other cog has a dot on a tooth need to make sure they all line up in the grooves.

I fitted a pump to a engine about 3 yrs ago now that didn't have pump and the pulled had fallen out of position. Took a while to line them all up
Old 03-06-2015
Established Member

Liked 218 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedek View Post
Your pickup will be blocked mate. You will need to drop the tank & clean all the pieces of gunk.
Eddy
I had to do this to mine a few years ago. We pulled the tank in a parking lot (it was that easy) and pulled the sender unit from the tank. The screen filter at the bottom of the tank looked like someone smothered it in peanut butter (don't know if they have that in Aus). I cleaned it with industrial strength hand cleaner and really hot water. We then pulled all the diesel out of the tank and filtered it through cheese cloth (gotta use what you have...) to get the gunk out of the tank. I also wiped down the tank with paper towels. Apparently when I put everything back together I didn't tighten the sending unit plastic nut enough and it started leaking about a year later. This time I bought a new sending unit gasket and dropped the tank again. The filter was completely clear and I couldn't find a speck of gunk anywhere.
Old 03-06-2015
RubiconSlammer

Liked 821 Times in 362 Posts

if the pumps has been replaced and the timing is out, the engine will not fire up, it will just keep turning over,
this is mine once she finally fired up after sitting for 5yrs, after pulling the front off the engine off lining up all the timing marks.
BUT,
the pump was out of timing at this point but it still ran, had to loosen the pump and twist it a little bit

click the below picture of the white jeep and it will take you to a video

Old 15-05-2022
Senior Newbie

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Hi all.**
i am having a tough time starting my 425ohv 1999 NZ XJ sport turbo Diesel.
I recently resealed the 2x fuel injection pump seals. I marked the both plates to ensure all timing was back to what it was.** I primed the low pressure side of the system doing the following steps.
key on, air gun and rag on fuel tank filler to prime the line until diesel came out the plastic bleed screw on fuel filter head. Plunged and primed for a long time to finally get pressure. Bled all air out by cracking the fuel feed banjo on injection pump. Cranked for ages while the over flow valve was cracked. Attemped to bleed injectors 1 by 1 by cracking the lines. Tried ether while the mrs cranked the key for me. Ran for a little bit but then died. When i try to start it will cough after about 15 seconds of cranking but will not fire up.**
The issue is not getting pressure to injector lines. There has to be an air lock somewhere.**
also cracked off the injector pipes at fuel pump side then at injectors again. No luck.
Today i have been trying to tow start it (recommend being in 4x4 for this) 1st get going 20kmh to get the rpm above 3000 hoping to build some pressure. No luck. So we tried cracking the overflow valve and go for another tow. No luck. Then tried cracking injectors to purge the air out, then tightened all fuel lines up and went for another tow start (glowing the glow plugs too) no luck. Tried repriming the fuel filter but plunger was already hard.**
I am running out of ideas. I have asked a lot of friends who are mechanics. The only thing i havent tried yet is hooking up a small electric fuel lift pump to the low pressure side of the fuel system.**
all injectors are getting small drops of fuel to them but not enough to squirt when i crack the line. I am certain that air locked lines are the issue.**
anyone have an other ideas?
Cheers
Tom - disgruntled old jeep owner.**

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
Old 15-05-2022
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.c.coogan View Post
Hi all.**
i am having a tough time starting my 425ohv 1999 NZ XJ sport turbo Diesel.
I recently resealed the 2x fuel injection pump seals. I marked the both plates to ensure all timing was back to what it was.** I primed the low pressure side of the system doing the following steps.
key on, air gun and rag on fuel tank filler to prime the line until diesel came out the plastic bleed screw on fuel filter head. Plunged and primed for a long time to finally get pressure. Bled all air out by cracking the fuel feed banjo on injection pump. Cranked for ages while the over flow valve was cracked. Attemped to bleed injectors 1 by 1 by cracking the lines. Tried ether while the mrs cranked the key for me. Ran for a little bit but then died. When i try to start it will cough after about 15 seconds of cranking but will not fire up.**
The issue is not getting pressure to injector lines. There has to be an air lock somewhere.**
also cracked off the injector pipes at fuel pump side then at injectors again. No luck.
Today i have been trying to tow start it (recommend being in 4x4 for this) 1st get going 20kmh to get the rpm above 3000 hoping to build some pressure. No luck. So we tried cracking the overflow valve and go for another tow. No luck. Then tried cracking injectors to purge the air out, then tightened all fuel lines up and went for another tow start (glowing the glow plugs too) no luck. Tried repriming the fuel filter but plunger was already hard.**
I am running out of ideas. I have asked a lot of friends who are mechanics. The only thing i havent tried yet is hooking up a small electric fuel lift pump to the low pressure side of the fuel system.**
all injectors are getting small drops of fuel to them but not enough to squirt when i crack the line. I am certain that air locked lines are the issue.**
anyone have an other ideas?
Cheers
Tom - disgruntled old jeep owner.**

I never touch the primer pump. Its all sealed with silicone now as have often had leaks on it.
To prime I disconnect the return hose off the pipe. Attach to compressed air, tank 1/2 of fuel. Ignition on. You will hear air exiting the tank vent.
Watch the end of the return pipe on the pump or have some clear tube on it & into a container. Just wait until all air is out & then you see fuel flow only out pipe, quickly remove air hose from return hose & put it back on the pipe. Mine normally starts with no trouble.
Old 16-05-2022
Senior Newbie

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Thanks for the response I really appreciate it. Plunger is now sealed with araldyte. I just tried that method. Still has not fired up. Image below of my attempt. Tank half full, I could hear the air coming out the vent and got fuel coming through the clear hose.
As my injector lines are dry would you recommend having them cracked while I try start it?
Do you crank it right away once you reconnect the pipe?

Cheers
Tom

Post New Thread  Reply