Roadside assistance - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KK Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-02-2019
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default Roadside assistance

Just looking for any feed back.

12 months ago while 1500k from home I had a water pump fail. I called Jeep Roadside assistance. I paid a joining fee as mine had expired. (Always does just before you need it). They sent a tow truck. I paid the tow truck extra $$$.

I never ever received any paper work from the Jeep Roadside Assist folks. Now the 12 months is up I get a letter in the mail asking me to renew the assist. $154.00. Single page. It talks about reading the terms on the other pages that I never received.

I then followed the web link. I get an "Unsecure" web site warning from my browser advising me not to continue with the link. I've gone to the Jeep web site and no where does it allow me to enter any details to renew the assist. Just a phone number.

So my question is. - Is this a scam or just an official cockup from Jeep?
RACQ is cheaper so why should I pay Jeep?

bruce
Old 26-02-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

Not sure.... When my Jeep assist expires, I am going with NRMA. They have some good packages available should a driving holiday not go to plan.

I bought my JKU two years ago, and there is not one shred of evidence of an active roadside assist service except for a single number in one of the booklets. If in doubt, ring your stealer service department to verify.

When I bought my XJ 23 years ago, there was a dedicated booklet on the subject, but I did not find this service helpful because the first breakdown I experienced was after 12 years of ownership (cas). During the warranty period, I had to source a new spare OEM sized tyre and nobody in SA stocked the 225s outside of Adelaide. We were half way up the Stuart Highway heading for Alice. NRMA bought one on my behalf and kept a hold on it until we got to the tyre retailer in Alice. The crowd doing the jeep roadside service at the time could not think outside the box. Not sure what they are like these days, esp out in the sticks.
Old 15-03-2019
Established Member

Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I talked to a guy who I ride off-road bikes with. He put me on to Tasmania RACT. Unlike others that make you pay per car/bike, they charge YOU. It's "Personal cover" not vehicle cover. If you are operating a vehicle, any vehicle, yours, borrowed, stolen, whatever... they cover YOU. For someone like me with 5x cars and 2x bikes, this is a unbelievable deal for $180. NRMA wanted $400/year for my Pathfinder because it was over 2T, and I wanted the top cover as I go places there is no-one around for hundreds of Kms. I think the Jeep has also got to be over 2T. RACT don't care about the weight. The catch is they require a Tasmanian address to sign up. Then you can just say you have moved interstate and you can continue to renew your membership.

On the other end, cheap but limited to 2x callouts a year & 25km Metro / 50km Country towing... the National Motorcycle Alliance will cover you in a car for just $65/year.
https://www.motorcyclealliance.com.a...al-membership/
Old 16-05-2019
Established Member

Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Jeep Roadside Assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucet View Post
RACQ is cheaper so why should I pay Jeep?
Bruce
Well, just for fun I called the Jeep Assist to get prices and service level agreement/policy details, and lo & behold my Jeep was still covered by the PO's policy... Wish I had known that!

Anyway, quoted $154 to renew, but here's the interesting part: Instead of a specified tow distance limitation imposed by nearly all the other major roadside assist suppliers, the Jeep one lists "To the closest Jeep Dealer". Now that there are bugger all dealers in outback NSW, that means they will most likely get me to Wagga(?) or home to Canberra! That's a HUGE difference to NRMA/AAMI/AlliAnz, etc, which limit towing to a few hundred kms.

And I don't think it means you HAVE TO have your car repaired at the dealer, just that you pay from there if you want to take it elsewhere.

Something to consider now....
Old 16-05-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 371 Times in 210 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Is worth asking Jeep Assist if they have options to cover trailers/vans etc. RACV has this as an option so if the car needs towing they will take the trailer/van etc as well.

Cheers
Old 17-05-2019
Established Member

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Just a clarification. In my case they would only tow to a service centre. I had to pay the tow truck driver extra to get to the nearest Jeep dealer.

Just as an aside. The Jeep dealer told me they couldn't even lift the hood/bonnet to have a look at it for 3 weeks!!! A mechanic down the road about 2 blocks replace the water pump and had me back on the road before lunch.

bruce
Old 17-05-2019
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

You could always insure with Club 4x4. They have a deal with AWA Road side Assist that for a few extra dollars a month covers you.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Post New Thread  Reply