Building a roll cage - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-03-2005
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default who is

north coast wrangler
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...359&highlight=
Old 30-03-2005
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

NorthCoastWrangler .....AKA Nick
Old 30-03-2005
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

maddog,

Those pictures are not particularyily good examples of a cage design!
I am certainly no expert but have read lots and lots of information regarding cage design.

The main reason you are putting in a cage is to protect the occupants lives.
I would say the best thing you can do is go for a bit of overkill in the design.

The A pillar vertical in those pics has a massive bend near the top which is a big weak point.
You want things to be as straight as you can, with decent triangulation and good nodes.

I would take the first design and straighten the A pillar vertical legs as much as possible.
Add a horizontal bar across the top of the dash
Add a horizontal bar behind the seats for the harnesses
Add a horizontal bar between A and B pillar legs at hip height next to the seats
Add bars for the seats to mount to
Add some more overhead bracing above the occupants. not necessarily a full cross
etc.
Add some gussets to the joins where they are going to take a hit
etc.

I will try and grab some pictures of Shanes jeep this weekend if I go and visit.
His cage design is simple and well thought out.
You can come and have a good look at it during Tuff truck as well

In the meantime do some searches on pirate4x4 for cage designs.
I think the best thing you can do is read a lot and look at what works for others.
There are some ridiculous designs out there that have too much tube and then others that have obvious weak points.

Just my opinion anyways

cheers

z
Old 30-03-2005

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

with the 2nd design well both for that matter but I think the 2nd one will be more of a hassel consider the rego rules on head clearence in all directions

I think that they get a stick of set dimension on the seat and rotate it in all directions within an arc and if it touches the bar anywhere you fail ???? Check it out Max B has been through this drama and found a solution I also believe Jumbo has solved the problem too. This seems to be the point that the cams and rta are hard to line up and comply to both
Old 30-03-2005
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts

You might want to check CAMS specs and so forth before doing the whole cage out of 50mm, cause XWC rules wanted front hoops out of 50mm but it wouldn't of been DOT or CAMS approvable due to blocking to much vision
Old 30-03-2005

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Zach the best one on POR is the thread that takes the piss out of the triangulate this node that crew and shows what a well built 6 point cage can really do and for most is enough

It aint a nascar
Old 30-03-2005
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Those 2 diagrams are actually straight out of the CAMS manual. Granted, the section that slants back from the A pillars won't be on as much of an angle when designed to fit inside the Jeep, which is good.

The 50mm x 2.0mm spec. is valid according to the CAMS manual, however I do see your point re visibility. Might be a better option to go with the 44.45mm x 2.5mm tubing for the main hoop and perhaps 38mm x 2.5mm for the rest of it.

Perhaps the top diagram is a better option in terms of keeping it road legal, with a horizontal bar added for harness mounting. It's hard to have the cross brace and harness mounting both in the same area whilst keeping it tidy though.

Putting a bar between the A pillar and main hoop will make it very illegal for road use.

http://maddog.zook.org
Post New Thread  Reply