Homemade bumper - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2006
Just Build it

What Jeep do I drive?: Brute
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts

Thanks guys, wait till its finished

but back to the thread, Steve, have you seen the bridge yet? Do you think it would look good on your bar ? I think so.
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD
Old 06-07-2006
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

That's a sweet looking bar. I like the bridge, mine will come off at some point for some plating underneath so I may put a bridge on it then just to give it a bit more shape. So how much time has gone into that, its very very nice. When will you have it finished.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-07-2006
Just Build it

What Jeep do I drive?: Brute
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F
That's a sweet looking bar. I like the bridge, mine will come off at some point for some plating underneath so I may put a bridge on it then just to give it a bit more shape. So how much time has gone into that, its very very nice. When will you have it finished.
Cheers
Steve
The bar is being smashed to smitherines down in Melbourne tomorrow After we get the green light for this Airbag testing, I should see a complete (& modified) unit on the front of mine ready for wheeling by the end of this month......bloody fingers crossed

How many hours you say ? Shiet loads. This is the 3rd design prototype, the other 2 were hedious !!
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD
Old 08-07-2006
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mate that is awesome. Great work !

(ps post dimensions, cut angles, specs etc if your keen :P )
Old 08-07-2006
So play on just play on

Quote:
Originally Posted by optical
mate that is awesome. Great work !

(ps post dimensions, cut angles, specs etc if your keen :P )
Here's a post I put on NAXJA when asked the same question.

The angle is 75mm (3") X 125mm (5") by 6mm thick (1/4"), the total length was 2m (you can work that out in feet). I just centered it on the mounts and then cut and bent it and didn't have to shorten the angle that way.

The first bend is just past the mounts, maybe 1/4" and I bent it back at I think 18 degrees, the second bend was just where it looked good and it's bent back 55 degrees. One thing I did do is angle the bumper returns out slightly so they come out to the same width as the flares to protect them slightly.

Also make sure you cut the angle on the bottom before you make the second bend as that way you can just do one long straight cut. I also clamped a piece of box to the line i wanted to cut along and used that to rest my angle grinder up against to make sure I got as straight a cut as possible.

Another hint is to cut the back of the angle where you want to bend it but not all the way through, just make it thin enough to bend. I used a 3mm cutting disk for that. It means the welds are only on the back (weld over the groove afterwards) and keeps the face of the bumper neat.

The steel for the brackets is 6mm but is 12mm (1/2") where the recovery eyes are and is 18mm above that to stop it bending.

I think that's everything

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-07-2006

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeh great job you did steve i love it.
im acualy making one this weekend (total cost so far $30 for bolts ect all metal is free from work) ill post some pics tomoz..
Old 10-07-2006
So play on just play on

There were no real specs for the brackets. I made a template out of paper with the holes marked and used that to drill the bracket, the premade templates I found on the net were not 100% so it was safer to make my own. Basic specs were 6mm plate 250mm in length for each side and 120mm high (I think that was right). I then shaped the plate to fit around the trianguler brackets at the front of the Jeep where the horn is, most of it was trial and error.

Here's a pic to try and help make the next bit of text make sense.

The main plate goes all the way to the back of the bar, the spacer plate is welded to that and comes down about half the length of the second 6mm plate. This leaves a gap between the main plate and the second 6mm plate so the bracket on the body can slide in here and be sandwiched byt the main plate and the second plate. The shackle hole (not shown) goes through the second plate and spacer plate (12mm in total) but I didn't think to have the main plate deep enough to add another 6mm to the shackle hole.

Sooo the bolts go through the second plate, through the body mount and then through the main plate. There are also those two additional holes on the angle off the second plate that bolt to the valance.

At this point the bar wasn't finished so not all mounting holes were drilled. Once I had shaped the plates hanging down I welded them all together.

Cheers
Steve
Post New Thread  Reply