XJ Transmission Oil Coolers - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-11-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So where would you mount an extra oil cooler?
Old 30-11-2009
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionM View Post
So where would you mount an extra oil cooler?
Depends on which cooler you get.

In front of the radiator ... Keeps it out of the mud a bit and shouldnt need an extra fan for slow speed work. Downside is it may restrict a bit of airflow at cruising speeds.

Or ....

Behind the front bar if you have space or behind the cross member like in gojeeps and a few other writeups. Airflow, mud and cooler size need to be taken into consideration again.
Old 02-12-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Behind the bar OR in the space directly below the radiator would be pretty effective in relation to airflow I'd imagine...

Now obviously you can go "too big" when choosing a transmission cooler with the downside being a lower than specification transmission oil temp during normal operation, how well would a medium sized cooler with an additional thermofan either controlled by a thermal sensor and/or auxiliary dash switch address both temperature requirements?

carvesdodo... where did you fit your auxiliary transmission oil temp sensor & could a thermoswitch be placed there instead OR would a transmission oil line sensor like THIS one from Derale be better?

Last edited by tazwegion; 03-12-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-12-2009
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazwegion View Post
carvesdodo... where did you fit your auxiliary transmission oil temp sensor & could a thermoswitch be placed there instead OR would a transmission oil line sensor like THIS one from Derale be better?
Hey Taz ... sorry for late reply ....

Im just using this .... http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...7&postcount=11

So Im not really getting exact oil temps ... but close enough for my needs.

The unit also has a high temp buzzer and 12v power trigger for things such as thermofan relays etc ... It was just a quick, lazy way of getting a multifunction unit that did a number of jobs for me ... rather than dash full of permanent gauges and a gazillion extra miles of wiring / plumbing.

For an actual oil temp sensor ... Some have welded in sensor mounts in the sump pan ... It seems to be the recommended temp measuring spot. I was going to fit inline sensors on both oil cooler lines (another gunna ) but the electronic one is adequate - for me ... and easily hooked up to other components as required.

Last edited by carvesdodo; 05-12-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-12-2009
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Nice... an LED display flickering between updates would be a royal PITA, brilliant little hack conversion though!
Old 05-12-2009
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Yes you're thinking is spot on... adding extra obstacles to the air flow through the radiator will inherently lead to raised peak temperatures, I suppose the best setup with the engine's cooling made a priority would be no oil coolers OR A/C condensers directly placed in the airflow's path towards the radiator... life without A/C in summer would be a little tough though eh?

EDIT: Aluminium has a lower thermal conductivity efficiency than copper, generally popular as a weight saving alternative... what is the CFM rating of those 3 thermo-fans you've got fitted?

Last edited by tazwegion; 05-12-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-12-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

I have been thinking of an engine oil cooler for awhile and had intended to try and fit inside the rh guard so as not to further inhibit air flow at the front of the vehicle. For the same reason I like the idea of mounting the transmission cooler behind the bumper (especailly for those of us with bull bars)