Whollsee's Auto Trans Rebuild - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-07-2011
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Default Whollsee's Auto Trans Rebuild 9

Ok...main components cleaned re-assembled!

Front clutch /drum

Rear clutch/input shaft. Can see compressed air ever at the ready in background!

Example of a new teflon and a metal ring at base of input shaft.

Driving shell with front annulus gear assembly.

Rear planetry gear assembly in rear drum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0499.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	48942   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0500.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	48943   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0501.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	48944   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0503.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	48945   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0506.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	48946  

Old 22-07-2011
AJOR Gold

Default Whollsee's Auto Trans Rebuild 10

Last pics for now...Output shaft, park gear and governor body. Need to insert shaft before mating governor body to park gear. Shaft was in top condition.

This is front band.

Rear band... a hefty piece of cast iron! Friction surface was still well serviceable.

In a perfect world I'd replace both bands just because I could but budget is biting and they seem totally fine...not burnt. Also tested their grip on the drums before disassembly. Won't be any progress now for a couple of weeks. Out of the country for work and also waiting on case to be blasted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0611.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	48952   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0602.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	48953   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0601.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	48954  
Old 27-03-2013
AJOR Gold

Default Whollsee's Auto Trans Rebuild 11-1

So when I wrote "Last pics for now" on 22-7-11, I had no idea that it would be just over 20 months later before I posted on this thread again…. short explanation.. dude who was blasting some parts for this rebuild and other stuff took 13 months to do the work. Told me 10 day turnaround. I tried everything to contact him over that time and was about to get in touch to my law talking guys when out of the blue he calls up, as if if we spoke yesterday, and says …"your parts are ready". Anyways the upside I guess is that while my jeep rebuild stalled I managed to restore two sailboats in the same time that it took him to blast a few bits of metal. Gulp.

So, as if we spoke yesterday, here the latest on this rebuild…..

Because of the boat restos my workshop was full of a lot of dirt, sawdust, alloy and stainless swarf that I had to clean up very well before I got back to the trans [and ultimately the engine build]. All the parts were basically ready as they ever were for the actual assembly just waiting on the trans case to be prepped and first off the rank is the breather relocation….[see post 3 in this thread for info on blocking the original breather hole]

Could go 5/16 or 1/4 NPT fitting and interwebs research showed more or less 50/50 uptake for either in this application. I figured I'd use 1/4 fittings for other applications more so opted for that.

Heres the gear ready to go. Got plenty of 11/32 bits but figured a new viper would give a nice clean result Thread tape shown but I think I'll use Stag on the day and this tap wrench didn't clear the bell so used my shorty as you'll see.

First up…hello Dr Jellyfinger! Although the case is a shell and still need to give it a high pressure rinse I opted to capture swarf as best I could with some grease on paper as a trap. You never know what you miss.

Greased paper in place and penetration…

Tapping…Location is just behind where pump sits in bell and near top casting seam. Most mods I viewed located here. Hope there is not too much ATF slinging around under this spot to be pushed out the breather tube under pressure.. i'll find out i guess.

Tapped.

TBC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KIT.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	60870   Click image for larger version

Name:	GREASE_TRAP.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	60871   Click image for larger version

Name:	PENETRATION.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	60872   Click image for larger version

Name:	TAP_TOP.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	60873   Click image for larger version

Name:	TAPPED_HOLE.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	60876  

Last edited by whollsee; 27-03-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 27-03-2013
AJOR Gold

Default Whollsee's Auto Trans Rebuild 11-2

Trapped.

Fitted..for now. Obviously bit of hose and breather cap down the track.

Nice and flush. Very happy with the taper fit. Went a fractional turn at a time on the tap to get it just right. I'm going to paint the tranny case exterior and apply a couple of coats of KBS clear and then i'll fit the elbow proper like with Stag.

Sweet to be back on the job.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SWARF.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	60877   Click image for larger version

Name:	FINAL_POS.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	60878   Click image for larger version

Name:	INSIDE_FLUSH.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	60879  

Last edited by whollsee; 27-03-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 28-03-2013
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Good thinking relocating the breather now rather than after its all back together.
Old 18-11-2013
AJOR Gold

Default Whollsee's Auto Trans Rebuild 12

Sure was a good idea turbomart. No idea how you'd do it in situ having done it on the bench. Long time since I've been here. Life get's in the way huh? Back on it for now. Have actually been working on an engine as well but that's another thread about to happen.

The case is done and the breather fitting is in nice and "stagged"...

The case is now all ready for the trans reassembly. Epoxy paint and a clear coat as flagged in an earlier post. Dirt and recalcitrant engine/trans fluids should just slide right of this skin.

Can't resist posting this - my "shed" stereo system [hinted at in above pic] freshly refurbed. So sweet now. Bought it for $50 i think at Tempe tip eons ago - some Sydneysiders will know that particular Salvos. Got a half decent vinyl and tape collection and it really makes the workshop hours a pleasure. I'm a bit of a hifi tragic with too many systems at home and work....worse than a jeep habit really.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...1&d=1569818502

Back on topic...gaping maw of case begging to be filled. Hopefully not too far away and as i said an engine is underway as well and keen to post a bit of that process too

So long since last post...wow...and sorry this one is a bit nothing. Was hoping to swap engine and tranny in before Christmas too...dreamin'. Maybe Easter..hee hee.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BREATHER_STAGGED.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	78548   Click image for larger version

Name:	Case side.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	78549   Click image for larger version

Name:	CASE_FRONT.jpg
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	78550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stez.jpg
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	78551  

Last edited by whollsee; 30-09-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 18-11-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

I have another one here you can do if your keen. ill even help

Ive never done an auto before and finding parts hasnt been easy. Not much worries me when working on the car but rebuilding an auto gives me the geebies
Post New Thread  Reply