Safety Recall N23 for WH anyone had it done yet? - Page 56 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2014
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 832 Times in 467 Posts

Peekay0019
I have been in touch with NSW Office Fair Trading when all this debacle started they were very interested in helping.However due to the number of reflashes which the vehicle has had trying to fix it and the time it takes for no low 4x4 to show up sometimes, plus I went away for 2 months ,I am now starting to rev up again.I am going to write to FC again demanding this 8 month saga be fixed.Enough is enough.
Old 01-05-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Hey gents,

Thought I would jump in on this conversation as I actually drive an 07 commander and am having the same issues with the low range selection. I had the recall done originally back in September last year and was told it was all OK. Wasnt till after I read some of your threads that I thought I should check and sure enough it didnt engage. Got the dealer to redo the reprogram in January this year and again they said its all good. Sure enough again it didnt engage low range. Went back again only last fortnight and told them that I have been researching and that other owners across Australia were having exactly the same issues. I said to them that I wanted to progress this through the head office if it could not be sorted. After three hours they told me it was showing errors and the fix was to replace the Final Drive Control Module which I politely said that I will not be paying for. ($1300 plus install)
Thankfully they lodged a technical case to head office however I am still awaiting the decision as to whether they will come to the party and fix with no charge. Ill keep you informed.
I did read someones thread before though which mentioned unplugging the transfer case selection plug while ignition was on and then removing key etc... and replugging etc... which did actually work fine and still is going on three weeks now. See how we go.
Old 01-05-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMates View Post
the fix was to replace the Final Drive Control Module which I politely said that I will not be paying for. ($1300 plus install)
Thankfully they lodged a technical case to head office however I am still awaiting the decision as to whether they will come to the party and fix with no charge. Ill keep you informed.
To be more accurate, the only thing close to a "fix" at this stage is to replace the FDCM (Final Drive Control Module) with one with the old software, essentially an "out of date" module from their perspective.
So if they do do that, hopefully the wont update it at the same time - As that will just give you the same problem haha.

The other thing that is commonly said needs replacing to "fix" the problem is the transfer case actuator aka motor (sometimes incorrectly referred to as the TCM.).
A brand-new absolutely schmick one will most-likely appear to "fix" the problem - Since it will have resistances within the acceptable range of the N23 update.
But it will still eventually have the same problem again.
In some cases, even newly-installed (unused) actuators will give the problem almost immediately, since they've most-likely been sitting in a warehouse for a while.

The only real (official) fix would be an update to the FDCM firmware to perform the logic more intelligently - OR - an official rollback to the previous version (which probably has legal complications.).
Old 01-05-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLaugesen View Post
To be more accurate, the only thing close to a "fix" at this stage is to replace the FDCM (Final Drive Control Module) with one with the old software, essentially an "out of date" module from their perspective.
So if they do do that, hopefully the wont update it at the same time - As that will just give you the same problem haha.

The other thing that is commonly said needs replacing to "fix" the problem is the transfer case actuator aka motor (sometimes incorrectly referred to as the TCM.).
A brand-new absolutely schmick one will most-likely appear to "fix" the problem - Since it will have resistances within the acceptable range of the N23 update.
But it will still eventually have the same problem again.
In some cases, even newly-installed (unused) actuators will give the problem almost immediately, since they've most-likely been sitting in a warehouse for a while.

The only real (official) fix would be an update to the FDCM firmware to perform the logic more intelligently - OR - an official rollback to the previous version (which probably has legal complications.).
Right on the money

Jeep won't or more likely can't for liability reasons put the pre-flash software back on your FDCM or on a new one.
Try finding a FDCM out of a wreck! near impossible here & the US.
If I could copy the software of my pre-update FDCM & upload it to an updated one I could make a killing.
I have the new T/C motor and the issue persists

Replacing parts is a waste of time & won't fix anything, a revised software version is what is needed.

There is a new name for someone that won't admit there wrong or at fault, that name is "Fiat Chrysler"
Old 01-05-2014
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 261 Times in 159 Posts

As mentioned earlier.......I installed a second hand pre-flashed FDCM and have 4 Low every time. The actuator works fine as well.
Only pain in the arse is that I have the dreaded 'Service 4WD System' permanently on my dash

Cheers, Craig
Old 01-05-2014
Established Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Recall

Hello all,

Well, had recall done September last after 3 months up north towing van, don't do any 4wd ing, just tried to put in 4wd, yep 'service 4wd' got it booked in mon week, is Jeep going to do anything about this? I think 'don't hold back' going to get a hiding in sales if enough of us keep getting pissed off, and we head off to the courts, C'mon Jeep smarten up, your gonna hurt! did I hear class action? Regards, Hicko.
Old 02-05-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 832 Times in 467 Posts

Contacted by my Jeep service manager this morning.FC told him my vehicle will have to be in the workshop for 2 days at least for another updated reflash!!!He has also been told to fit no new actuators.another 300klm round trip.fuel. time,etc and no guarantee of a fix, they have got to be bloody joking.
D Day has begun!!!
Post New Thread  Reply