Whollsee's 258 Tart Up - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-05-2014
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts

A great cam by all accounts chewy. What did you do for springs, lifters? I would have thought that the stock springs would be fine with that one and the your rebuild had new lifters?
Old 19-05-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: FSJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, seems popular enough. The springs are stock but new, should be ok. I bought the Comp lifters to match the cam, not a lot of extra $$. I'm looking at using a Motorcraft 2100 carb.
Old 19-05-2014
AJOR Gold

ah..always wanted to play with a 2100. Headers?
Old 19-05-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: FSJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Headers if I can find a set reasonably, this is only one of my toys so can't throw too much dough at it.
Old 19-05-2014
AJOR Gold

PM sent
Old 20-05-2014
AJOR Gold

Default Whollsee's 258 engine build 4

Powering on...opted for a one piece rubber oil pan gasket [seen here] instead of the traditional 4 piece cork and rubber jobby. Got a Mopar high volume oil pump too. Lots of different points of view on HV units but for this engine with cam upgrade but seems not an issue at all. High pressure + high volume pumps are the usual culprits at very high rpm and in Ford engines primarily it seems. Long block came with a new boxed elgin/melling standard pump but had the mopar already. The mopar came with a new oil screen/pick up but despite the description when I purchased, it is not for the 258. I think it suits a 4.0 oil pan. Any 4.0 drivers need a new one? 258 screen faces opposite way so I recycled my donor one with the help of oven cleaner and very thorough pressure clean. Seal seems nice and tight with the pump. Will be oil priming engine before first start so we’ll see how good the seal actually is.

Some RTV in the corners on the gasket as per instructions and pan on.

Head bottom view. Ready to swap out springs now. New valves, stem seals and 3 angle hardened seats at reman.

Spring comparison…hi-lift that came with cam kit on left, note dampers inside, and stock on right. The hi-lift are obviously taller but also were softer/not as stiff as the stock springs. Dampers are pretty old school from what I’ve read but still widely in use. Possibly a racing thing originally? Anyway makes me want to check thoroughly for any binding down the track.

Shimmering block at TDC. Fel-Pro gasket laid on. The head bolts on the reman were original not new, No prob there and all checked out fine ultimately. I remember reading a US thread where someone rebuilding a 258 contacted ARP about bolt stretch etc at big revs and when he said he was working on a 258 they laughed and said get back to us when you are making 400 HP +. The thing of concern to me was that the bolts came out dirty/greasy and evidence of some minor rust in the threads. Maybe oversight or shoddy? Anyway, cleaned up block threads with tap and hit bolts with wire wheel. Nice result. All cylinders were really clean, new pistons. Bored 0.030 over BTW. Dropped in the lifters from Clifford kit.

Head on. Anti-seize on bolts and torqued as per spec in sequence and some thread sealer on #11 bolt [water jacket]. Put a smear of white lithium grease under bolt heads to facilitate gaining correct torque. Old wives tip!

The pushrod conundrum. Compared rods from crate to Clifford and quite a difference. Knew they were way short and tried on cylinder 1 just for fun. Rattle around at load let alone TDC. My guess is that they are intended for a zeroed deck block and shaved head. They are hardened chrome moly, however. Damn. So the crate rods are not and measured them and slightly under the 9.700 which is stock for this MY engine. So, naturally, allowing for some minor honing and decking in reman process that made sense.,,, but they’re not hardened chrome moly. Did the various methods of checking for required .020 to 0.060 range of preload and decided that if I wanted beasts to match the springs and cam should go 9.700 and shim up rockers for insurance rather than come up short. So after that long winded babble the pic shows from top - Comp Cams HD@9.700, Reman supplied at about 9.670 and Clifford supplied@way too short unless your decked for race fuel.

Comp cams installed and can see 0.030 shims installed under rockers if you look closely. Shim kit came with 0.030 and 0.060 shims so can get 0.090 total but I think i'm good. Yet to check lifter preload all round but quick test on cylinder 1 was sweet @ 0.040 difference.

Last edited by whollsee; 05-11-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 24-05-2014
AJOR Gold

Default Whollsee's 258 engine build 5

A few more bits added on..
Engine mount support brackets on.

Fuel pump.

Pressing harmonic balancer onto crankshaft. This is a newie . Got it from Powerbond Wagga Wagga. Sent them a separated one to rebuild because I didn’t think they manufactured a post ‘81version and on paper they don’t but they did all measurements and it turns out they are the same through to 86. Maybe same as 4.0 too. Gave me a good deal on a replacement one as it was just as pricy to rebuild.

Fits perfect, timing mark alignment checkouts to TDC/keyway. Yet to mount pulleys but wanted to see the high strength SS bolt in place with washer. ARP.

Bit of work on the breathing side of things. This is the 2 barrel adapter that came with intake manifold.
Underside

Top marked up for a bit of modding. Weber carb comes with two adapter plates to go on the OEM intake. One should be enough with the the Clifford 2 bazz adapter and I wanted to use the one that has the PCV inlet. So drilling and tapping in order

Adapter getting tapped and weber plate with PCV barb fitting. There are a whole lot screws, studs and nuts that Clifford and Weber both supply to mount the crab and the plates have different threads etc..so this just cut through the crap and solved it all

Punched the gasket some new ones at the dots.

Matches up very precisely. Studs then in 4 corners of top plate and PCV inlet barb in side.

Carb is going to be a fair bit of fiddling in general working out best orientation and throttle /kickdown cables and linkages/pulls.

New alloy thermostat this is for the 4.0 but is a bolt up. Unlike 258 version it has a water temp sensor port which I plugged for now. I do have a VDO water temp gauge lying around so might drop a sender in and have both the original cold/hot type and the VDO in *celcius.

It is a bit smaller internally than 258 and there are some sharp corners so where casting thickness allowed did a bit of porting. Hi-flo now!

Last edited by whollsee; 05-11-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply