The Return of Java Jeep's FrankenJeep - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 54 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Can't go wrong with a complete donor for sure. I'm using a hell of a lot more than that on mine!
I'm sure I will also
Old 07-08-2016
CrawlerStar

Default Day 1 of Work - Build Team meeting

We got the team together for our first build meeting today.

The team includes myself , an aircraft engineer and I will draw on my own staff for labor and cleaning including an on staff machinist and mechanic.

The first step was to wash 9 years of dust off the bits and position the transmission and diffs, get the tape measure out and thrash out ideas.

BMW M40B18 1800cc 4 cylinder Engine

It looks like the BMW engine was made for this swap.

Both the F head and the M40 are 750mm tall

The BMW is slightly longer the F head, about 20mm but it doesn't seem to be a problem as I will also be moving the front diff forward 1 or 2"

There's good clearance from the front diff to the forward mounted sump (I was thinking this might have been a problem).

BMW M40B18 engine to bell housing adapter

The Willys T18 bell housing is 365mm outside diameter and the rear of the M40 engine is 300mm OD. With the difference in diameters can make a stepped adapter that puts the engine right where the F head engine was.

Need to look at the flywheel , starter, clutch issues first

Transmission and Transfer case

The trans/transfer case hangs down 80mm (3.15") below the chassis rails and it's the one thing I hated about the Willys when off roading in Indonesia. The trans become a mud anchor and most of the available traction from the front and rear lockers went into dragging the trans through the mud.

Mounting the trans on top of the 100mm high chassis rails (4" high) is one option we looked at but I can see this is going to create a whole bunch of new problems once the engine is in and we want to mount the body so the chassis rails will be reinforced either side of the trans at about 60 to 80mm , I can live with some trans underhang if I have to and build a slipperier / shallower skid plate but my ultimate goal is a flush underside if possible.

M40B18 Donor Engine

The BMW engine is being pulled out next Saturday and the adapter should take about a week to machine. We have a small machine shop and machinist in house.

General Photos

The diff tubes will be cut to put the knuckles in their correct position.

New floor will be made up with a bolt on dog house to cover the trans and transfer case

Moving the diff further back so the 32 to 33" tires will just clear the rear of the tub
Old 07-08-2016
CrawlerStar

By the way , I picked up a couple of EH Holdens in the last 6 months. I couldn't help myself , I tried. The Holdens are around 90,000 miles with most of the original trim intact (seats etc) and 3 on the tree. Hard to find even in Oz I guess, most had bucket seats and 4 or 5 speeds swapped in during the 80's

Indonesia was a big export market for Holden in the 60's and 70's, heaps of HQ and HJ utes here.

Also a mid 70's VW Thing ...

I'll send them back to Oz eventually as they are to either sell on or as retirement projects.

Need to focus on the Willys then I have to rebuild the engine in my 1990 BMW E34 M5 and onto the J20 project. Enough projects on the go for the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13051531_1354504894575757_5971023896128521698_n.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	74551   Click image for larger version

Name:	13775901_1431104803582432_3865646778960631886_n.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	74552  

Last edited by javajeep; 07-08-2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-08-2016
CrawlerStar

Front and rear lockers being cleaned and inspected.

Front is a Dana 25 with a Lock Right locker

Rear is a Dana 44 with a Detroit No Spin locker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7904.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	74566   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7905.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	74567  
Old 09-08-2016
CrawlerStar

Default Transmission Inspected and Painted

The Willys T90 3 speed trans/Dana 18 2.43:1 transfer case/Warn 25% overdrive have been cleaned , inspected and painted.

Note the gearbox temperature sensor in the drain plug.

I installed a gearbox temperature gauge after seizing the gearbox in second gear after a particularly heavy day out in deep mud. I had to limp home for 4 hours in second gear.

The gearbox temps under extreme load were around 130 deg C which is way too hot for continuous operation.

The little T90 really needs an oil cooler and pump to handle the bigger tires and front and rear lockers. I'll look at this.
Old 09-08-2016
CrawlerStar

Default M40B18 engine coming out

BMW M40B18 engine coming out.

We prefer to remove the front clip.

In theory it takes longer but in reality it's quicker and you don't break anything getting the engine out.

Engine and trans will come out as an assembly

The pusher fan will be flipped to a puller fan in the Willys (if we have the space) triggered by the water temp sensor in the radiator which is normally 80deg C low speed , 88 deg C high speed

Old 09-08-2016
CrawlerStar

Default Front clip is welded :-)

Well that didn't work

You can remove the front clip on the BMW E34 but the BMW E30 the front clip is welded and bolted

So the engine will be coming up and out after being unbolted from the trans

With the radiator out there's lots of space so it should be ok.

The radiator is a decent size but I'm not a fan of plastic side tanks and hose necks. These will be redone in aluminum if the radiator fits.

The fan/water pump/alternator belt is a worry, thin and long, looks like a shoe lace.

I'm thinking of a bolt on fabricated cover to waterproof the distributor and may slide the coil in there also.

Other photos