wk2 loss of power - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee

Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-05-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

This might be worth checking out:

https://www.engineoiltest.com.au/product/oil-test-kit/

Cheers
Old 14-05-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 71 Times in 52 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm View Post
TBBob
I would be extremely worried if my vehicle was suddenly showing fuel usage of30 litres per hundred ks even for short periods of time.This is twice the fuel usage per normal , it is highly unlikely the motor is burning it.Over fueling kills diesels,eg washing oil off bores,diesel getting into the engine oil etc.I would smell your engine oil to see if any in it ,pronto !!
Instant, easy, boot the diesel in 3rd or 4th (5sp box) and it will go to the end of the scale (30 ltrs/hundred) and then drop back.

So, on the way home climbing up past East Jindabyne the car played up then all the way home 400 k's went perfect

Bob
Old 15-05-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 106 Times in 73 Posts

Until you hook up the BlueDriver we are all guessing what is happening.!! The only other advice would be to take it to somebody like Berrima Diesel (who know diesels backwards !!)and put it on the dyno to see if you can replicate the problem under load etc.

Last edited by bjm; 15-05-2018 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-06-2018
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Quick update

On the way to the dealer( went in for the brake booster fix again) this morning while waiting at the lights (busy intersection and peak hour) the engine started to run rough and lower in rpm, I managed to coax it till the lights went green again although it wouldn't rev up at all. Lights went green, put it in drive and it crawled forward to make a right hand turn at less than walking speed but I continued on and turned as the lights turned orange and made it off the intersection to a chorus of horns.

As I had turned into a quiet street I continued on at a very slow pace with hazard lights flashing keeping left, if I could make 200 mtrs the dealer was downhill from the roundabout. I was nearly at the roundabout when all came good, probably 3 - 4 minutes after it started playing up and the car accelerated forward, arriving at the dealers I left the car running and went in, no codes or errors, they reprogrammed the adaptive for the gearbox saying that can cause these problems as it takes complete control of engine management and can get confused WTF

So we will see as the car has been losing power quite regularly lately, although went to Wollongong and back the other day perfectly

I am starting to suspect the torque converter as I do tow a 2.4 tonne caravan a bit and the car has been surging at low speed and low throttle

Would you believe I had taken the Bluedriver module out at home before I left for the dealers

Bob
Sponsored Posts
Old 13-06-2018
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Well the gearbox is changing a lot better now they have reprogrammed the "adaptive", But a couple of days later and less than 40 k's Ping, on comes the engine light and the throttle body graphic and not fuelling again, maybe limp mode but as I lived just around the corner I made it home. I am sure you cannot connect Bluedriver when the engine is running so I turned it off. When restarted the engine light was still on but not the throttle body

Code thrown up was P0192 Fuel rail pressure sensor circuit low bank 1

Dealer wasn't much help, cannot look at it for 2 weeks, and the mechanic I trust there has just gone on a 4 week hol to Europe

Maybe the fuel relay replacement from the original TSB failing?

Any more ideas, I really do appreciate them

Bob
Old 14-06-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts

Bob way back when our 2012 had only 25K up we were travelling south on the Newell towing the van at around 100kph when it shut down completely - without warning and with only the engine management light lit. Without going any further about how scary that was - the vehicle was trucked to Orange where the diagnosis was fuel rail sensor high.
Dealer wanted to simply reset but I refused and it took 2 weeks for a new fuel rail (the sensor is integrated) to be sourced and fitted.
For the rest of its life with us (another 90K) the thing was gorgeous - and we went again with a 2015 - again gorgeous.
At the time I made a huge fuss with the dealer principal and Jeep Au about the complete and sudden shutdown and it may be that the software has been changed to limp rather than shut down.
OK - this wasn't much help - except that AFAIK you can't just get a fuel rail sensor it has to be the complete rail.
I think you may be on the track though suspecting the TIPM may be involved somehow.
All the best.
John
Old 14-06-2018
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks John

I am suspecting the FRP sensor after doing some research, even maybe unpluging it making sure the terminals are making good contact. They are available for the MY14 and on as a separate item

Luckily I know the spare parts guy at the local stealership so I will see if it is integrated and where it is, although I think I know that as I had a quick look this morning and it's buried at the back of the engine

Mine was reading low current which means under fuelling, yours was high current or maybe open circuit as high current just keeps the fuel rail fully pressurised from what I understand

The Dodge Ram forum has a wealth of info on this

Bob
Old 15-06-2018
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Just heard back from Moparamerica and they say the separate sensor will fit my vehicle. They have my Vin number

Funny thing is the 2 fuel rails are the same part number and on the eco motor in the Dodge Ram the FRP sensor looks like it located at the front of the motor on our passenger side. The rails are reversed on each side

Bob
Old 15-06-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts

Will keep fingers crossed for a fix.