Alternator differences for the Diesel for info - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-09-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 243 Times in 135 Posts
Default Alternator differences for the Diesel for info

Well had a peek at the new Denso Unit (suffix AD / 93) and also comparing the Denso aka Mopar vs the Jaylec.

The Denso has dropped the cast alloy regulator board in favour of pressed and cut alloy plate for cooling however this looks more like a cost cutting measure. Given the issue cited is the diodes getting hot and bothered one would think cooling would be increased. So it looks like the earlier cast provides more cooling but only the design team would ever know the differences here.

Jaylec uses a different clutch pulley and the one you are looking at failed due to the clutch pulley. The Jaylec regulator board is different in that the windings are soldered on. Finally the electrical interface has no cooling fins vs the Denso unit.

Just posting as both are good units and I would not say one is inferior to the other either. If you get it cheap, then buy either. I still have my Gen 1 regulator board (AB / 90) as a spare and I tried to melt the Jaylec solder joints at 450 on my expensive iron and was unsuccessful so for me best to cut the copper welded joints version then solder on the spare board in an emergency.

Old 01-10-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,949 Times in 2,330 Posts

Here's a pick of the Gauss one, available in NZ I believe ... Seems the same rectifier is used in some BMW's, Cruisers and a couple of other vehicles so not only Jeeps and Dodges... I wonder if the problem is external PCM/ECU software and the fault isn't actually the rectifer diodes they are just the first bit to go... Bit like the fuel relay.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 04-10-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 243 Times in 135 Posts

The alternators were never a fault as the Jeep design works them to an early death in some cases. Remember the old days a Ford would chew through more batteries than a Holden for a time.
Old 04-10-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,324 Times in 762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
The alternators were never a fault as the Jeep design works them to an early death in some cases. Remember the old days a Ford would chew through more batteries than a Holden for a time.
The Power Steering Pump would leak fluid directly onto the alternator...biult/made at least 4x diversion trays to save alternators on EA EB Fords I drove into the ground....lol...tough gig but somebody had to do it !

ps: for the sake of our dear friend Jeeper6....I willingly drove one through a flooded river in Central Qld during the 2010 floods....note: EA Falcons dont swim...water filled the tranny..it failed...water pressure of 'forging' across the flooded river...with multiple JACKED UP 4WD FULLY LOADED Mine employee utes of ALL breeds looking and cheering on the 'red rocket'...dislodged the harmonic balancer from the crank spitting off the belt....got maybe 10klms down the road...away from the "you idiot" quotes line of view....had a 'tinkle' with belts(used the obligatory panty hose to allow more flex from true running), pulleys(wedged a bit of tree root in between the crank and balancer) and drove home in 1st gear....didnt snap my neck with the jerky operation at low speeds....that killed one of em.....no need to feel alone Jeeper6...jus sayin

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday

Last edited by FARWEST; 04-10-2023 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-10-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
Yep, and the Ol Email Alternators on Slant 6 Valiants would outlast the bloody car, even covered in oil and shit