reducing the body roll on WJ and water crossings. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-06-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default reducing the body roll on WJ and water crossings.

Considering some of the advice i had in my previous posts i've ordered new shocks and springs to better cope with the load in the back and help make the ride a bit smother and add a little more ground clearance. While i'm getting the new bits fitted ill get all the bushes checked out to see how they are doing and get any changed that are showing the need.
My question is weather it would be worth while adding a new more heavy duty rear sway bar in an attempt to further curb the body roll on my 04wj?
ive read varying opinions on the subject but it does seem that some people have had some success going down this route and i was wondering if any one on here has anything to report.
i know the WJ has the wobbles built in pretty deep and its not something that can be easily cured once and for all but anything that could provide a noticeable improvement would be good.

My second question is regarding the fitting of a snorkel. i have the v8 on standard hight tyres and soon to be a 2" lift, im assuming this wont give me much lee way when it comes to water crossings, not that ill be attempting anything to deep but i would like to do them more often and with a better confidence in the jeep.
the problem seems to be that the computer seems to sit at the same level as the standard air intake, witch would seem to suggest that any overly deep water crossings even if done with a snorkel fitted would still result in getting stuck either in the water or just on the other side. granted i wouldn't need to start hunting for a new engine witch is a good thing but considering the issue of drowning the computer i wouldn't be happy attempting deeper crossings in the first place snorkel or no.
so the second question is how have people combated this issue? can you seal all the electrics as a precaution or is this not possible?
im not looking to go deep enough to put any such solution to the test i simply want it as a fail safe.
Old 21-06-2013
No Winching

Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

The other thing to be wary of is getting a bow wave or decent splash in the front and inundating the air inlet even if the water is nto up to that height. That is one of the reasons some others get the snorkel.
Old 21-06-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

Since you are getting new springs and shocks I would hold off on the sway bar until you see how it handles, as for water crossings, the technique you use is what matters, basically using a blind and keeping a steady pace to create a pressure wave in front, the water may be over the bonnet but isn't inside it. The problems start if you stop in water . A snorkel is a good investment as it ensures the water stays away from the intake BUT a blind should be used as well, it will help keep the water out of the engine bay.

As for water getting at the ECM's, only when it's been drowned, usually the engine is stuffed as well as the water is up to the windows.

Keep in mind that with the intake in the grill a good puddle on the road splashing up can kill the engine, this is applicable to most vehicles not just Jeeps, those flows across the highway, a couple of inches deep create a wave that washes back over the bonnet as you bang thru, doesn't take much.
During the floods I took the air intake off so mine drew air from the engine bay.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 21-06-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 21-06-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 342 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I just fitted a snorkel on Wednesday night.

I have no intentions of wading anything over the tyres ever if possible yet, and wasn't keen on fitting one for ages, if ever.

But I quickly got concerned about just dunking the front end into a deep flooded ravine, when at the bottom of some steep descents around the Otways here. There is one I found that sees only one axle in it at a time at Paddys, but it's a bit gnarly. Looks like the GC would be tilted forward and down at 45deg, for a bit until the front gets winched back up and out, and it's just like a dog taking a drink type thing, except with a GC and no snorkel it's a wayyy bad outcome.
Old 21-06-2013
SwampDigger

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Ive had mine through some fairly deep water just by removing the cold air intake. The pcm and tcm are very well sealed and dont get water in, spark plugs are also well sealed. The main issue is the computers inside the car, particularly the body module, its not sealed and sits underneath d/side dash. That said to get water that high up would be pretty extreme.
Old 22-06-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

Aarrggghh, makes me think of the old days, sitting in Ettrema Crk with water lapping around my knees as I got winched out, no computers to worry about then, just someone taking photo's, only got stuck because the Landy floated downstream.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 22-06-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Snorkel definitely for all reasons stated above and especially for that peace of mind that you are seeking. The use of the "blind"as mentioned also if there is any real depth is also the way to go.
There is another real benefit of the snorkel aside from avoiding water intake and that is of course your car's breathing system having access to that nice clean air from up higher. Less dust intake especially if in convoy on a dirt road means less work for your air filter and most importantly clean air into the motor.
The only problem I have found since having the snorkel fitted to mine is to check after every offroad trip in the gap between the horizontal part of the snorkel and your front car panel to ensure no tiny stones are in there. They will wear away at the paint and provide a place for rust to start.