lpg or long range? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbotrog View Post
Both have their good points and bad points.

LPG,
Pro- extended range above standard petrol range, cheaper running cost
Cons-Excessive initial outlay, ($5k+), higher engine temps, (the 4.7V8 doesn't like too much heat), smallish LPG tank, need to relocate spare=loss of cargo or roof space

Petrol
Pro-available anywhere, easy to carry extra in jerry cans
Cons-Long Range tank whilst advertised as not being the lowest point of the car seems to be where it gets hung up the most besides transfer case plate. Adds a lot of extra weight without a huge gain in range

A decent roof rack with a quality dual horizontal jerry can holder is the cheapest and most efficient method of gaining extra range. It is also removable for normal running around town and can also be used for the carriage of water whilst touring, (one jerry of fuel, one of water).

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com...LDER-p241.html

If you were to go with the long range fuel tank either petrol or LPG you would almost certainly have to upgrade the suspension due to the extra weight.
The jerry can bit is interesting, I saw a bloke over on the RRS forums, he has fitted boab tanks in the rear (wagon) of his Rangie Sport, one either side. And they can be taken out when not in use. His claim is that they are easier to get to & less weight on the roof.

Interesting idea though, great that there is a melting pot of idea's

tiddy

PS: Please don't shoot me, but those RRS, mate are they capable or what. Such an under rated & undervalued car...mainly by cruiser & patrol owners though.
Old 09-01-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbotrog View Post
Both have their good points and bad points.

Petrol
Pro-available anywhere, easy to carry extra in jerry cans
Cons-Long Range tank whilst advertised as not being the lowest point of the car seems to be where it gets hung up the most besides transfer case plate. Adds a lot of extra weight without a huge gain in range

If you were to go with the long range fuel tank either petrol or LPG you would almost certainly have to upgrade the suspension due to the extra weight.
With regards to petrol availability, how do the hemi's go with Opal fuel?

Am looking to fit a long range tank shortly and as you can see from the pic (copied shamelessly from http://www.longrangeautomotive.com.au) it doesn't appear that raw ground clearance would be an issue. It also gives an additional 110lt which obviously will more than double your range. With regard to suspension, no different to driving around with a large adult in the back seat so hardly required (and no different from carrying jerry cans in any case). Additionally being an auxialliary tank, you don't need to fill it when in town.

Main down side is you will need to find somewhere else to carry the spare.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005_on_Grand_WH_4cfdcaa7c7440.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	59137  
Old 10-01-2013
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 169 Times in 108 Posts
Default Honestly haven't used Opal, haven't been that far North in the WG yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hills46 View Post

Am looking to fit a long range tank shortly and as you can see from the pic (copied shamelessly from http://www.longrangeautomotive.com.au) it doesn't appear that raw ground clearance would be an issue. It also gives an additional 110lt which obviously will more than double your range. With regard to suspension, no different to driving around with a large adult in the back seat so hardly required (and no different from carrying jerry cans in any case). Additionally being an auxialliary tank, you don't need to fill it when in town.

The single biggest problem with the WJ/G Grands in the spare tyre location. It causes the fuel tank to be one of the lowest part on the undercarriage. There are some threads on US forums about removing the spare from inside, cutting and raising the fuel tank.
If you went this far you could install a huge tank to the same area and probably end up with approximately 192lt extra fuel! Bringing the standard tank volume to about 262lt, OMG it suddenly becomes a Bathurst drop tank!

Last edited by timbotrog; 10-01-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-01-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

while im on the subject of spare tanks, has any one fitted a water tank?
Old 10-01-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hills46 View Post

Took me a while to notice you're talking about the WH .
I think everyone else is talking about the WJ/WG.

I did around ~800km on Opal recently. Started off using the "Fuel Saver" tune from my Flashpaq (which I normally use with 98RON) and had some knocking (~40degC day.), so I re-programmed to the low-RON tune (labelled as 89 in the Flashpaq.) which fixed it up.
I couldn't do a true comparison due to a shakey EGR valve and varying conditions, but it definitely didn't have any problems with the Opal.

The LRA tank is great IMO, I ordered one on the (long) drive home after buying the WH... I recon it's a must to make the most of a WH, the stock tank is too small for decent touring.

You're right the tank doesn't affect ground clearance at all (it's fully "inside" the sub-frame rails.).

The rear suspension does need to be matched though I recon - The tank is 35-40kgs + fuel... fair to call it 100kg on the far side of the rear axle, so it's more like having 2 or 3 large adults in the back seats.

I have a 2" OEM with medium-duty springs, the rear sat noticeable lower with the tank filled and the usual off-road gear in the back. With camping gear and small adults in the back the shocks (and probably springs) wouldn't have lasted long.

I put helper airbags, which have done their job just fine, but they're a bit bouncy once the fully loaded car is levelled out. I may put adjustable shocks in the rear to slow the rebound. Or I may just put higher rated springs in since I still have another ~50-60kgs of permanent weight to add into the back.
Old 10-01-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLaugesen View Post
Took me a while to notice you're talking about the WH .
I think everyone else is talking about the WJ/WG.

I did around ~800km on Opal recently. Started off using the "Fuel Saver" tune from my Flashpaq (which I normally use with 98RON) and had some knocking (~40degC day.), so I re-programmed to the low-RON tune (labelled as 89 in the Flashpaq.) which fixed it up.
I couldn't do a true comparison due to a shakey EGR valve and varying conditions, but it definitely didn't have any problems with the Opal.

The LRA tank is great IMO, I ordered one on the (long) drive home after buying the WH... I recon it's a must to make the most of a WH, the stock tank is too small for decent touring.

You're right the tank doesn't affect ground clearance at all (it's fully "inside" the sub-frame rails.).

The rear suspension does need to be matched though I recon - The tank is 35-40kgs + fuel... fair to call it 100kg on the far side of the rear axle, so it's more like having 2 or 3 large adults in the back seats.

I have a 2" OEM with medium-duty springs, the rear sat noticeable lower with the tank filled and the usual off-road gear in the back. With camping gear and small adults in the back the shocks (and probably springs) wouldn't have lasted long.

I put helper airbags, which have done their job just fine, but they're a bit bouncy once the fully loaded car is levelled out. I may put adjustable shocks in the rear to slow the rebound. Or I may just put higher rated springs in since I still have another ~50-60kgs of permanent weight to add into the back.
Re the model, yes you're quite right, my bad.

What solution did you opt for with the spare(s)?
Old 10-01-2013
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airlock View Post
while im on the subject of spare tanks, has any one fitted a water tank?
Load up yer draws with bottles

I've seen a few with the PVC on the roofrack with a tap in the end, but there is always that spot under the rear seat