TJ Steering Box Identification / fluid / replacement boxes - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2018
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Default TJ Steering Box Identification / fluid / replacement boxes

As part of the servicing and maintenance I want to replace the power steering fluid. I did a bit of searching this forum and also checked the manual. It looks like the direction is MOPAR ATF+4.

There are a few opinions about just using an ATF, which I wonder about as this box seems to be non-serviceable and i'm not quite sure what people are doing when the box wears out. (or it gets stuffed up with the wrong oil)

So here's my questions...

1. Does anyone have the MOPAR part number for the correct ATF?
2. Are there actually any safe non-MOPAR alternatives?
3. Is my box (photos attached) June 2004 build the Mercedes non-serviceable part?
4. What do people do when this box dies?

Many thanks - hopefully this thread can bring all the answers into on place for future searchers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180408_210103851_1523185869714_4.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	77295   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180408_210250283_1523185869279_2.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	77296   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180408_210342591_1523185869506_3.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	77297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180408_210414203_1523185869068_1.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	77298  
Old 09-04-2018
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

1. Sorry not at my fingertips.
2. Yup lots of companies make specific power steering fluid. I am from the don't use ATF school.
3. Yes you have a merc box. And it is rebuildable. but kits can be hard to find. and in my cases i wouldn't call it a DIY job.
4. wreckers?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2018
Established Member

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts

Hi Mate, I have always just used Penrite ATF. Of course follow the product guide on the web site and use the correct grade. Its a bit like Panadol, same tablet different package. It always kills me when I see power steering fluid or clutch fluid being sold. I also use Penrite pro gear in the 6 speed, 150K never had a problem. Use the right grade of a reputable brand oil and regularly change them as per the service book. 99% of failures are a lack of maintenance or a lack mechanical sympathy on the part of the driver. As the vast majority of us probably got our TJ's second hand one of biggest problems is what did the owner before us do. On another note the hardest part about o/hauling a steering box is generally removing the pitman arm, they have a habit of not wishing to part company and require a quite substantial puller.
Old 14-04-2018
AJOR Gold

Thanks for the feedback, I think I might try and source a rebuild kit and put it on the shelf depending on how much it costs. I've got a few good mechanics around me in my line of work. The box appears to be fine at the moment, hence the servicing and oil questions.

I might actually step into a dealership regarding the Mopar Oil, forgive me for sinning.
Old 14-04-2018
StaunStar

Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts

Seal list for the merc unit are around the $120 mark last time I got one.
Even though you say you have some good mechanics where you are, If they have not rebuilt one before, it’s not the one to learn on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29-04-2018
AJOR Gold

Thanks for the various feedback - got busy on other things and didn't get back to this for a while.

The more I looked into this ATF+4 question the further into a wormhole I slipped. It does seem that ATF+4 was (uniquely) created for Chrysler sealed for life transmissions - perhaps it is over specified for the steering system out of convenience.

However - for the record.

ATF+4 is declared as Chrysler MS9602 standard.

The Mopar USA partnumber I could find is 05166226AA (473ml) and Mopar International 68218064GA (946ml). It is described as Power Steering Fluid +4 on these bottles or PSF+4.

I did find "Penrite ATF FS" $14.99/L at Supercheap and it's product detail PDF declares it is Chrysler MS9602 and ATF+4(R).
I didn't get into a Chrsler dealer yet to check the price for the real Mopar, but now I have the part numbers I am feeling braver.

If I wasn't being pedantic that should be good enough.

But just for the hell of it I have sent a query to the licencing body in the USA to see if they recognise Penrite as compliant / compatible.
www.centerforqa.com/chrysler-brands/

Just out of interest if anyone knows how much I am likely to need to drain and refill the power steering system it would be helpful.

And a link to, or where to go for the seal kit for the Merc box would also be much appreciated.
Old 30-04-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 145 Times in 89 Posts

I always use to use Mopar Powersteering 4.
Until they discontinued it.
Was told Mopar ATF 4 is same same.
When I asked why ATF4 is so much cheaper than PS4 , the head mechanic was walking thru and said just use ATF 4 with the same MS number.
I use Penrite MHP in my 2000 TJ.
1 litre should do it