Grand Willys Project - Page 8 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Hi Marcus, will the donk bolt straight in or will it require some major engine mount mods? Are you planning to use an ECU and all the sensors or putting in a different dizzy that's if the one you have even has a dizzy or is it diesel and does not have a dizzy (me showing my nievaty).

Lastly will you add this build to your site? If you do I reckon you will get plenty of hits, maybe even get your name in the 4WD mag again.

All the best mate, looking forward to checking out more of your exploits.

Kindest regards Anthony
Old 05-03-2011
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

G'day Anthony. Nothing will bolt in at all so everything will be custom made. The Grand does come with a sub frame and along with the gear box member, supports the engine, transmission, front diff centre, lower wishbones, sway-bar and steering rack. My plan at this stage is to keep that all intact to go between the Willys frame at the front. I already know however that the engine will have to be moved back in that sub frame due to the Willys grille being much further back compared to the wheel centre line than the Grand.
I will be using the original harness, ecu, tcu etc along with the instruments, seats, floor and firewall. Will have some worries like deleting the airbag system completely and hoping it will not disable the engine! Wont be a picnic this build but I want the challenge and gain the skills needed for this long project which might take 10 years. I don't care how long so long as I have fun along the way as it is all about the build process.
I have also got it on my site but need to update it
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/WillysHotrod1.htm

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club

Last edited by Gojeep; 05-03-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-03-2011
LokRinger

Mock up time.
This is as low as I can get the front down and the upper wishbone not hit the underside of the front guard and with shorter springs on the struts ( technically coil overs as it has upper and lower wishbones for location ) and still have a decent ride. That is 2.5" lower than stock. I have just placed the Grand's wheels on there hoping the 30" tall tyres would fill the guards enough but not sure they have? Also working out the placement of the front wheel.

This is 1" further back than stock.

Front wheel in stock location

Front wheel 1" forward of stock location

Close up of wheel 1" back from stock.

Close up of wheel stock in stock location

Close up of wheel 1" forward from stock.

My web site:

Last edited by Gojeep; 01-08-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-03-2011
Just Build it

What Jeep do I drive?: Brute
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post

Think the tall skinny look works well with the old truck and hotrod look I am going for.
I completely agree, keep it like that. It will also drive really nice in that config.
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD
Old 06-03-2011
LokRinger

Few more mock up photos

This is with my trailer wheel and tyres fitted. They are a 235x80x17 ( 31.8") instead of the Grand's in 245x65x17 (29.5") in the other photos before this.

This is the stock axle location as well.

Think the tall skinny look works well with the old truck and hotrod look I am going for.

My web site:

Last edited by Gojeep; 01-08-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-03-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
G'day Anthony. Nothing will bolt in at all so everything will be custom made. The Grand does come with a sub frame and along with the gear box member, supports the engine, transmission, front diff centre, lower wishbones, sway-bar and steering rack. My plan at this stage is to keep that all intact to go between the Willys frame at the front. I already know however that the engine will have to be moved back in that sub frame due to the Willys grille being much further back compared to the wheel centre line than the Grand.
I will be using the original harness, ecu, tcu etc along with the instruments, seats, floor and firewall. Will have some worries like deleting the airbag system completely and hoping it will not disable the engine! Wont be a picnic this build but I want the challenge and gain the skills needed for this long project which might take 10 years. I don't care how long so long as I have fun along the way as it is all about the build process.
I have also got it on my site but need to update it
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/WillysHotrod1.htm
Hi Marcus, yerr the air bag system now that most likely will be tricky. I had a small issue with my airbag after I disconected the controller so I could modify the 98 XJ front handbrake cable mounts in order to position the aux tank. I must have not reconnected it properly and until I re-fiddled with the wires the engine would run for like 10-20 seconds and shut down.

My guess is though you probably have a few connections who would be able to advise you the best way to get around it.

Also on another note, I noticed on your site you struggled to get friction pads for your leafs. If you have similar trouble again let me know as I can get them over here in Adelaide for like $1.60ea.

Kindest regards Anthony
Old 07-03-2011
LokRinger

Had a go with Photoshop for the first time to see how the things I have planned for the body will look on an image I found on the net.

Here is the original photo untouched of a stock Willys apart from the wider tyres.

Here I have widened the cab 6" and added an extra pair of lights in the grille.
One set will be for parkers and the other indicators.
I already have the lights to fit and are LED and look clear until powered up.

Here I have pancaked the roof or flattened it. The stock roof height looks a little bulbous to me.

Checking out what it looks like with a roof chop and the roof pancaked.

My web site:

Last edited by Gojeep; 01-08-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply