Appcar FCA or OBD Jscan Scan app - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 104 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
I can only relate to Aplha, the SRT display of oil pressure and coolant temp is good stuff but not having the evic screen show the correct drive settings is just cosmetic to me so long as the knob is turned to right position is the important bit..........
Not sure about the annoying chirps on the horn, If I check to make sure its fully locked I look for the red flashing light near the tacho dial, if its not flashing shortly after locking then I check the doors......

My ELM27 dongle, I must have got a good one as it reads all the Jeep/Chrysler OBD protocols I have come across to date, so must have struck it lucky with it ....
I am more interested in the actual SRT Speedo gauge. The RPM wrapping around the digital speedo would have been awesome but I doubt that would be the case since we have a RPM gauge at the left. Still the fonts and theme look nice. But only problem is the select-terrain dial movements don't show up correctly on the dash as a result of SRTs not having those.

That is another good way to check if the doors are closed while locking (other than folding mirrors). Will see if I get the app if I am able to find an option where it might give us an audible horn chirp if it detects doors arent closed (highly doubt it) Still not bad to change a few settings like forcing the fog lights to stay on when you use high beams for example
Old 08-06-2023
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

I've got an old ELM327 bluetooth OBD2 adapter with me which is a few years old. Do you think I could just connect this to the car's port and it would work with any of these apps? Or do I need a special cable/device or this bypass people talk about? I am not sure what that means?
Old 08-06-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

The SRT selection on mine just gives a fancy blue Font for the speedo, and some extra scroll downs on the screen, some stupid G force stuff, and standing 1/4 rubbish but most important is the ability to view codes without having to stuff around with some app on a phone..............

My ELM 27 dongle is over 10 years old, its hit and miss with these of they will work on all the various protocols, I was lucky................. get the demo version of alpha and try out your dongle, while you can see the options the demo won't let you do much but at least you will now it works, if you don't use spanners then spending hundreds of $$$ on the stuff is just a waste of money really.....

I can't see an issue with the Select Terrain display its only gimmicky, the extra display on the Uconnect of extra gauges is a usable bonus though but again is detracted by more gimmicky stuff, I find it very handy if I could find a way to get off of the rubbish G force and junk it would be even better...

Have a look at the demo versions first before you decide....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 08-06-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 235 Times in 132 Posts

When you drill right down into to the ‘health’ of your ZF 8 speed individual clutch packs, and so forth, you know you have a good reader.
Old 09-06-2023
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
My ELM 27 dongle is over 10 years old, its hit and miss with these of they will work on all the various protocols, I was lucky................. get the demo version of alpha and try out your dongle, while you can see the options the demo won't let you do much but at least you will now it works, if you don't use spanners then spending hundreds of $$$ on the stuff is just a waste of money really....

Have a look at the demo versions first before you decide....
Tried connecting my old dongle today and just saw a red light come on. Then I tried to pair to my iPhone no luck cannot be found. Can’t remember if I needed to use an android or this dongle is way to old for this vehicle or my phone. It is about 8-10 years old atleast.

Can you suggest a dongle that you think would work without an issue? Something that doesn’t need to be the best out there but just works would be fine.

When you get the SRT pages app, do we loose the Off Road pages app we have? Yeah I agree the extra bits on the SRT pages app is not relevant for our rides but we are forcing the SRT packages with these apps. I just like the colour and font of the SRT gauges. But thinking about it now I think the colours won’t match with our left and right gauges on either side of the Speedo.

Had a look at the demo mode on the JScan app and just couldn’t find the horn on lock/unlock with fob options. So many parameters were available. Not sure if you seen this in Alpha OBD. And I don’t know why the AU models have these options taken out from our user settings screen. Like both lock/unlock feedback and even the horn when remote starting.
Old 09-06-2023
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
When you drill right down into to the ‘health’ of your ZF 8 speed individual clutch packs, and so forth, you know you have a good reader.
So are you saying the level of customisation and readability is only as good as the quality of the adapter/dongle used? Didn’t know you could drill down to this level of detail! 😊
Old 09-06-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 235 Times in 132 Posts

Correct, most don’t realise the depth you can interrogate the system because many accept the cheap marketing of the these readers and not their fault. First the hardware must be capable of all data protocols in use by Jeep and others then next the ability of the software development to take advantage of the units. I have a popular generic OBD2 as well and in the past a $2K Autel Unit. With Autel, the software was being limited under license over time unless big dollars were handed over so ended up with the MX+ as the best compromise of the bunch.
Post New Thread  Reply