WK2 Buying Advice - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 252 Times in 117 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

i haven't found spare parts to be an issue, i have only once been to a dealer and that was for the LH head replacement (3.6L)

otherwise i do all my own servicing, as an example ive noticed a dry bearing sound from the front of my car, so i dropped the serpentine belt spun the pulleys over by hand and it seems like the water pump is the culprit,

so as for preventative maintenance i ordered a new one from RockAuto

$200.00 and 5 days and its on my door step

even trim parts From "Moparpartsonline" have worked for me, the plastic side panel RH drivers seat base was tatty when i bought my car so i ordered it up, easy and at a good price

if you use your car as a daily driver thou i concede you may not have the time to wait

as for engine choice im happy with the 3.6L (mines a 5 speed) however with an 8 speed i think it would be an awesome choice, as long as towing is not important for you

if you don't do your own servicing then a good independent will see you sorted.

ask here and some one will guide you
Old 01-07-2023
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

Have a close look at the peddles & steering wheel. They give a good indication of how many km it has actually done. Way too much milage spinning starting to occur.
If it has non dealer stamps in the book, give them a call & ask what they can tell you. I have heard of dealers having fake stamps. Some dealers like to buy cheap at actions when they dont have books filled in, They do that after spinning & then put it on the lot.
Old 02-07-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 672 Times in 377 Posts

Love my GC and it can more than hold it's own, even surprise, when it comes to the tough stuff - BUT, if you're planning regular off-grid/remote touring, I would be looking at the Isuzu or a Toyo.

Not from a reliability perspective, all vehicles can and do have issues, but for familiarity and parts availability in regional locations. Can't imagine there would be too many mechanics willing to work on a modern Jeep with all its electrickery out Oodnadatta way.

Another thing is accessory availability to setup the vehicle. The GC does have some good support, but nothing like other more popular models.

Again, I love my GC and it's bloody capable, but there's something to be said about horses for courses.

In saying that, as a city bus with some occasional off-roading, the GC will shit all over the MUX.

Old 02-07-2023
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for all the advice guys. Keep it going for the next bloke, an up to date thread with common issues might be useful. Unfortunately I've ruled the GC out. I took one for a test drive yesterday and it was a very nicely maintained Overland, but I could not get past the lag on pressing the accelerator. I'm used to turbo diesels but this was something else, once it worked out I wanted it to go it took off like a rocket.

I test drove a Disco 4 a couple hours later, and I did not notice any similar lag, i loved the seating position (up and truck like, the Jeep was more car like), it took off, was comfy, everything worked, i loved it.

Not going the disco either though. I'm going to be sensible and fix the Rocky. Can't buy a cheap run around for $4k that can also go off road. The problem is it'll probably cost another $4k next year. Deal with that then.
Old 02-07-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys. Keep it going for the next bloke, an up to date thread with common issues might be useful. Unfortunately I've ruled the GC out. I took one for a test drive yesterday and it was a very nicely maintained Overland, but I could not get past the lag on pressing the accelerator. I'm used to turbo diesels but this was something else, once it worked out I wanted it to go it took off like a rocket.

I test drove a Disco 4 a couple hours later, and I did not notice any similar lag, i loved the seating position (up and truck like, the Jeep was more car like), it took off, was comfy, everything worked, i loved it.

Not going the disco either though. I'm going to be sensible and fix the Rocky. Can't buy a cheap run around for $4k that can also go off road. The problem is it'll probably cost another $4k next year. Deal with that then.
idrive will fix the lag . To discount the gc based on that alone is dissapointing but it's your call . I mean you could go get an underpowered , agricultural dmax or prado or bt-50
Old 03-07-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,311 Times in 753 Posts

Just as a heads up on thd turbo lag thing...yep...an idrive will fix it, according to members that have them....and...a secondary consideration is that these buses have a 'brain' watching everything...if the previous driver/s /owner drove the bus with 'economy' as their focus...ie: light throttle and never putting foot down....the 'brain' will remember this androvide a drive to suit the drivers method..ie: lots of lag n not much go....STAND ON IT a few times and the 'brain' says...wait a minute....'he wants to play'....and the vehicle becomes a completely different bus....you just wont buy anything that is as comfortable, capable and adaptable for the money....yep....the others mentioned are more 'off road' biased...but...that means bleeding from all orifices after a day in the drivers seat.....no tow requirement or long distance trips regularly would mean the 3.6V6 Petrol would suit your needs beyond what your looking for.....dont have to buy a diesel....thats a horses for courses choice for those that tow or regularly travel long distances......its your money.....ENJOY !

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 04-07-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 104 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

My 2018 GC Overland diesel (non-modified) is a rocket off the lights - just have way too much fun than I should most days. I don't see it as a lag but what you are experiencing is the sudden hit from the turbo at around 1800-2000 rpm which propels you like a catapult if you had your foot pressed half or more. This makes you feel like there is a huge lag in the initial bit because the turbo just delivers all that power instantly at that moment but really the acceleration on this diesel (when you don't have your foot to floor) is tuned to be smoother all the way up and it is way enough for normal driving really. In fact I have learnt to not put my foot down to much when driving in city because if you have cars in the front, you will need to be quick enough to hit the brakes lol. Gearbox and turbo definitely tuned for smooth driving and if you want to go crazy, yes you can With the sport mode on, the gearbox shifts so much quicker (doesn't hold revs like most other cars in sport mode) and with much nicer throttle response. Like Farwest mentioned, the one you test drove must have been driven by a person who drives with eco in mind. In a few days it should catch up to your driving style.

I came to the GC from a 2010 Lexus RX 350 and I can get the GC diesel to 100 in the same time and if not quicker actually If the acceleration wasn't good on the GC, I would have not bought it at all because that is very important to me and I am pleasantly surprised how good this performs for a diesel. Also incredibly grateful for the fuel economy it returns even with my heavy-footed driving style.

Like most of the guys here said the GC drives so much nicer than most other SUVs I have driven. Handles so well, plenty of power and at the same time efficient

Last edited by vijith555; 04-07-2023 at 11:48 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply