Lift and Tyres of your JK - Page 265 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-01-2014
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame View Post
I'd be interested to know where yours were made. As I said in my last post my 2007 spare is in far better condition than my late 2009 ones. I just went and had a look at them and the spare is made in Taiwan but the others are made in Thailand. Might be that the Thai ones are to be avoided? Regardless, like you, I'll be giving them a miss in future.
It's amazing how polarized people opinions can be when it comes to tyres. I'm finding that trying to choose dual sport tyres for my bike, every time it think I'm set on a tyre I read a damning review!

I have had my second set of Bigborns now for over 50000km and with a mix of rock, gravel, sand and heavy towing (1.8 ton Jayco) I'm surprised how good my Maxxis tyres still are!! Made in Thailand.
Front right...

Spare does get rotated....

Made in .....
Old 18-01-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca2801 View Post
It's amazing how polarized people opinions can be when it comes to tyres. I'm finding that trying to choose dual sport tyres for my bike, every time it think I'm set on a tyre I read a damning review!

I have had my second set of Bigborns now for over 50000km and with a mix of rock, gravel, sand and heavy towing (1.8 ton Jayco) I'm surprised how good my Maxxis tyres still are!! Made in Thailand.
My Taiwanese spare looks like yours, so there goes that theory. The boys must have been hitting the Mekong whisky when they made mine.
Old 18-01-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

Grahame I think I would blame that last drive and the possible tyre spin on rocks. Even the best tyres wont stand up to spinning in shale or rocks.
My tyres with only 14k on them look just like yours after 1 hour of pushing though Cruiser Canyon at LCMP.I dont blame the tyres only the idiot who decided to drive a medium clearance vehicle though this track.

David
Old 20-01-2014
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Lift and Tyres of your JK

Guys, can anyone confirm at Goodyear Duratrac 285/70R17 will fit ok on stock five spoke wheel, and fit ok on the stock wheel carrier?
Old 20-01-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Yes and Yes. Running them now. You do have to trim the rubber bump/stablisers back about 10mm to fit the tyre onto the spare carrier though.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club

Last edited by SeaComms; 20-01-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 20-01-2014
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Lift and Tyres of your JK

Thanks SeaComms. Great pic too- looks great!
Old 23-01-2014
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got the Duratracs installed yesterday- love them! 285/70R17 fit great with no rubbing that I can see on my 2" lifted JK, and as Seacomms said they fit fine on the stock carrier. I feel a little taller on them too despite them being less than an inch taller than the stock silent armours.
Post New Thread  Reply