FP relay fail... - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-05-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 660 Times in 375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farwest View Post
From what I understand mate...the original 'set up' is a part of the board...ie: its located under the the board and is an incorporated part of the board...there is no relay on the board...they hacked in and ran a harness for the original recall...then...hacked in and ran another harness (and changed relay maker...only perhaps because they were 'cheaper in bulk' at the time)...soooo....if they could hack in originally for the first recall then your theory stands ???

ps: prior the first recall..the entire board was getting fried...costly !!!!
Forgive my ignorance on the relay issue, as it hasn’t affected me (MY15), but if that’s the case, and the later models didn’t have the issue, couldn’t the whole board just be replaced with a more recent iteration?

Old 25-05-2022
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Mines playing up atm...starts...runs/idles rough(going by taco) for maybe 10 seconds...stops/cuts out...been VERY cold with heavy dew for past week or so...thinking moisture isnt helping any...have today off...back on 'graveyards' for a few days...if the rain holds off...yep rain...Ill switch this one out n see if I get a change in behaviour...received my SAFETY RECALL (V62) from FCA yesterday...only submitted ownership changeover to FCA 12 months ago....impressive turn around...not...pretty sure I agree with Drover...its not actually WHICH brand is installed as long as pin position remains correct...NOT a fan of upping the amperage...but...using a heat sink relay does 'tickle my fancy'...see how it goes
We've been at a CP in Bendigo for a week, perfect sunny 20 degree days every day, but o/night temps around 2-3 degrees. Problem appeared on the first start up in the morning, mine was a smooth idle but very lumpy and/or cutting out as soon as I put it in gear. No signs of deterioration on the relay casing or pins, looks brand new but might look different inside!
Old 25-05-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 660 Times in 375 Posts

Quote:
That is the solution for sure...it was addressed at model change...started in 11 ended in 13...from MY14 onwards the entire set up was redesigned
Ah - if it's the whole setup, probably can't easily/inexpensively retrofit into the pre-facelift then?

Old 25-05-2022
RubiconSlammer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
When you pull the relay off the base plate...you can see the 'tarnishing' on the base plate...I havent seen any 'colour change' on the pins of the two Ive 'played with'...but recall says...'silicone contamination'....meaning...melted silicone....which in turn cuts current continuity..ie: no contact...will have a look in a few hours and take a pic
I've read about the silicone problem so would expect the innards to show something up. Out of curiosity I'll pull mine apart when back home.
Old 25-05-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,318 Posts

I'd up the amperage myself..............

If I recall correctly the board for 11-12-13 same board, new board for 14 and changed again for 15 and 16-19 is different again, I have not been able to find a fuel relay in the 14 or 15 boards and thats physically or in the wiring diagrams....

The silicon contamination I put down to the relay coil insulation getting too hot and melting/vaporizing hence coating contacts and also distorting the chassis, I believe the original was a mini relay K7 position...

So they must have redesigned the whole shebang but did a ham fisted upgrade idea.

Fuse board is the TPMS but board is easier.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 25-05-2022
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,136 Times in 601 Posts

Nuts isn't it, you'd honestly think manufacturers would have tested these things during the design stage.
It never ceases to amaze me, and it does pi$$ me off the silly recalls that could have been avoided had the manufacturer done the proper homework in the first place.

Maybe instead of trying to save $1, spending an extra 50c on a better relay in this case up front would have saved them so much future expense and Owner grief...this just continues to give the brand a bad name...

Chrysler it seems doesn't have a good name anyway when it comes to Customer service...so why look to change their lousy reputation now...lol Stellantis owns the Jeep product now, as well as many other brands...just another owner since the original Willys Overland, Kaiser Motors, AMC, Chrysler, then Fiat / Chrysler, now Stellantis...who'll be next?

Off topic, I recall back in the early 70's I worked in spare parts for a vehicle importer - Western Motors in Perth. They bought in the early CJ7's from Kaiser Motors among other Jeeps and also the very early Jap Subaru FF1's.. I remember among other updates to the Jeeps such as fitting lap sash seat belts, they had to remove the original front yellow indicator globes and replace them with white ones.
So my then worked over "Chrome Yellow" EH Holden was lucky and got yellow parker / indicator lamp globes to match the paint job...
Old 25-05-2022
RubiconSlammer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Okay...went out and changed the relay...pics attached
Brutha Grippy...you were looking to see where/how I attached the first recall harnessing/relay in the second recall location...two photos of that
Brutha Drover...you wanted a 'looksy' at the 'hack' out of the circiut board and a 'looksy' at the relay...three pics of that
Brutha Southerncomfort....if you look at the pic of the base plate...you see the 'tarnishing' on one of the pin points/slots...one pic of that

ps: started at ran continously first time...no start run cut off...off tge auto shop to buy two more relays...bin the one that came out...and one spare in the fca supplied cheap yankee jobby...it is noted that Im using an Australian Brand product made in China...mu eyes arent painted on
Bought another one this morning at local Bunnings. Now I have that as the spare, backed up with the recall one. No reference anywhere as to where the Narva is made, although easy to guess. Just says packed and distributed in Aus.
Post New Thread  Reply