Test drove a Wrangler Sport Unlimited today - I have a few questions! - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-03-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi r8tourer,
I have a CRD auto unlimited, it does not handle like a HSV but I like it and have had Range Rovers classic and Disco Classic and all coil sprung being beam Axle they are very similar in ride the jeep may be softer so i have no complaints.
It is what it is a lot of fun.
I fold down the rear seats and place my NRS Giant mountain bike in the back fits fine. Just have blanket covering carpet and back seat.
Have not fitted rear carrier for bike at this stage.
Cheers Allan.
Old 29-03-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

$45k is a bit rich, you can probably get a Rubicon for $50k. Also consider saving yourself $20k and pick up a 1-2 year old one for $35k, there are a few for sale here at times and the changes since then have been minor.
It's a Jeep thing, I don't understand............
Old 29-03-2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah forget the GPS. You are paying heaps to buy something that will be obsolete in a year. Why do it when you can buy an easily upgradable and probably more reliable standalone unit for a couple of hundred $$. I reckon the less technology you have in your car from the chrysler factory the better. If I could have had manual windows I would have got em... I also wish it didn't have ETC, but what can you do...

Some will say otherwise, but these things do have reliability issues (most can be sorted over time after you slowly replace every chrysler built part with something aftermarket).

I find mine great on long trips - but I have bad posture and don't use the headrest It is the quietest and most comfortable car I have owned (with the hard top and underbody sound deadener). Yes it is a bit boaty but you learn to live with that.

Fuel consumption is pretty average. 400 odd km to a 70l tank in the city and 600 odd on the highway...(petrol)

None of the cons outweigh how much fun it is and that's that.
Old 30-03-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Just got back from a round trip from Sydney to Fraser Island (with a week on the sand) and back & the ride comfort of the long trip on the highway was much better than I'd expected; I did the 1300km trip up in one hit, only stopping for fuel and short rest stops.

The 2 doors do bounce and chop around a bit on their short wheelbase with the solid axles (mine's a petrol Sport manual hard-top), but if you get the hard top it adds a bit of weight to the rear end and tames things down a bit; also keeping the fuel tank on at least half full adds a bit more weight & levels things out further. In the soft sand on Fraser the JK was awesome; only needed 2WD for the beach runs & never got bogged in the soft stuff once! The only problem was having to keep stopping to pull out stranded backpackers with their rented troopies bogged up the chassis (great way to meet friendly big-boobed English backpackers though!)

Carry my mountain bike in the back all the time. Just fold the rear seat forward & pop off the bike's front wheel, then put it in rear first with the rear wheel resting up on the top of the folded seat. You can leave the wheel on but then you need to leave the tailgate slightly open with the front wheel hanging over the bumper & rope it tight (fine for short city trips)

My vehicle ownership background is purely Toranas, Kingswoods, Falcons & Commodores but I love the choppy, lively ride and high seating position of my Wrangler and find the handling really sporty & responsive around town (it actually corners remarkably well for a solid-axled, high clearance 4WD and brakes just as well). Plus, it's as short as a small hatchback so is really easy to manouver around tight city streets & lanes and real easy to squeeze into small parking spots, not to mention awesome on tight offroad trails.

I got the MiGig satnav & 30GB hard-drive sound system as part of a dealer package & can't fault it, but agree that you can get a good stereo and navman for a lot cheaper and if you plug in your ipod then you prob dont need the hard drive anyway.

As regards reliability I've had a few minor things go wrong but get them dealt with under warranty when I leave it in to the dealer for service; generally speaking the suspension and drivetrains are pretty bulletproof & that's what really counts in an offroader; many of the problems are electronic & other issues caused by Chrysler putting some of the same plastic parts and software in Wranglers that they use in their road cars and soft roaders. Also, many of the problems were with the early build models; by now they've had enough TSB's & recalls to work out most of the bugs inherent in any completely new vehicle (at least they don't accelerate under full throttle at will like Toyotas and Ford Explorers seem to do!)

I've had my JK over a year now & still get a big smile on my face every time I climb behind the wheel; Good luck!

Last edited by jklad; 30-03-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 30-03-2010
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow - thank you so much for all the helpful replies. I really appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisNut View Post
Also consider saving yourself $20k and pick up a 1-2 year old one for $35k, there are a few for sale here at times and the changes since then have been minor.
This is also what I was thinking, can anyone be so kind to please tell me what the differences are from a 2008> onwards model? Is it really worth getting a brand new 2010 model?

I wouldn't really go any older than 2 years if I find a good second hand deal... Honestly my limit is really 35-40k anyway and will stretch it to 40k only if its new or a well looked after second hand modified rig.

Looks like after all your advice i'll steer clear of the GPS system then. I was pretty impressed with the sound system on the renegade pack which was equipped on the wrangler i test drove. I'd probably just buy a separate GPS then and a aftermarket alpine DVD unit or something.

Very excited to get one... its amazing how many people hate them and so many people trying to talk me out of one but i dont think you know till you drive one which im sure you'd all agree.

Thanks again
Matt
Old 30-03-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Keep looking, I got my 2009 CRD Unlimited with Renegade pack for $39990 drive away with no trade in Jan this year. There are good deals on new ones out there! At least if you own it from new you know how it has been treated
Old 30-03-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Picked up my '07 4dr for $31,990 with 13000kms on the clock. Plenty of good deals in WA but might be a bit far to travel.

JK 4dr Silver soft top
Blue rod holder on ARB bar
Post New Thread  Reply