Deisel... - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2005
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Deisel...

First let me say I suck at searching on the net. seems no matter how many different ways I type in something I cant ever find the info im looking for I havent found anything other than they cost more and are not the most reliable...

1. Soo I am interested in the specs for the 2.5l deisels that are available to you all, primarly years 97-01.
2. Are they easy to make more power out of like Cummins, Powerstroke and the GM-duramax? I would like to be able to make (dont know the metric conversions) 200HP and 300Ft lbs TQ if possible.
3. I read that the deisel has lower towing capacity?? help me understand!
4. And what kind of efficiency is expected?

Reason I ask is I am kicking around the idea of converting my old 89 4.0 2wd MJ to a deisel when (and if) I convert the wiring, interior and body panels to 97+ specs. I spend $350-400 a month on gas for work only! so the added economy of deisel is apealing with the cost of gas going up and up.

Thanks in advance

Tim
Old 08-04-2005
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I get around 9-10L per 100kms Aprox 700kms out of a tank. I think the towing capacity is less because the engine has less power (same torque) and has trouble staying cool under load. Parts are a bit more expensive from the dealers but Jeeeparts stocks a lot of spare at very reasonable prices. Mine has been reliable except when machanics fucked it up but others haven't been so lucky.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2005
LokRinger

Liked 1,759 Times in 557 Posts

G'day Tim. Good to see you over here Been nearly a year since we met in Seattle and I see you have had plenty of fun trying out new prototype stuff that I am not allowed to speak of as yet!

As for the specs on the diesel, your search may lead to more if you spell it correctly
They have 85kW and 300Nm. I'll convert that for you. That is 110.5 hp and 221 ft lbs
Check this link out for a few details. http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.research_specs?vehicle_code=19970811.1 7:28:44&sort_type=&current_rec=20&make_name=JEEP&model_name=CHEROKEE

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 08-04-2005
Yeah I bought another one

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 93 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Have you looked at the Nissan SD33s that were used in the CJ10 and CJ10a?
I know they arent Jeep built but were a factory option. The later Nissans may even do a better job, IE turbo intercooled and be easier to source spares in the US?
The other Diesel Jeep sold here was an Isuzu powered CJ7 in the 80s. The adaptors for both of these may still be available from wreckers here, its just a matter of looking hard enough.
1x Jeep trailers.
1x Empty Wallet.
Old 09-04-2005
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LOL...I before E except after C....doh! well sometimes anyway stupid ameraenglish. never thought of Nissan but was thinkin of maybe some 4cyl. Cummins might be a good choice too. That HP/TQ is lower than i expected but anyone get more power out of them with a chip, exhaust, ect..? My 89 4.0 is rated at 170 hp @4k or so and 221 tq @ a low 2k!

Now that I know how to spell I might have more luck searching..

Oh yes Marcus we've been very busy lately, my hoopty was pretty ragged when you rode in it last MUCH better now!

Tim

addition...I need a metric-american conversion formula to make this easier...
Old 09-04-2005
i am the CIG

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

the deisel i rated lower tow capacity coz the engine would have to work harder thus making mor heat how about a 3054 cat engine
Old 09-04-2005
LokRinger

Liked 1,759 Times in 557 Posts

Good to hear and liked what I saw in the new pictures that Mick showed me too

I used this site to convert the torque numbers. http://www.metrication.com/cgi-bin/c...uantity=torque

hp x .7457= kW You can just divide it by the same number to go the other way

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Post New Thread  Reply