Speedo recalibration - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Speedo recalibration

Picked up the Procal today and went about reprogramming the speedo. It says to measure the tyres to the nearest quarter inch and program that in.

Tyres are Duratracs 285/70 17's. Measure tyre diameter at 33 in exactly and program that in and speedo was reading abot 7k's fast at 80 on the speedo! Dropped it back 1/4 inch at a time and retested and am now back down to 32in and its reading about 2 - 3 km's fast still. Looks like it will need to be about 31.75 in to read accurately.

Is this normal?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 4

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 04-10-2013
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 67 Times in 40 Posts

I had stu programme the procal when my bigger tyres went, maybe shoot him a message

2013 commando green JKU
Formally Commando Thunder
" Live everyday like its your last "
Old 04-10-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 75 Times in 40 Posts

Do we need to program the programming unit???

Hmmm mine hasn't arrived yet Dave, but am very keen to see what I come up with too.
Old 04-10-2013
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Picked up the Procal today and went about reprogramming the speedo. It says to measure the tyres to the nearest quarter inch and program that in.

Tyres are Duratracs 285/70 17's. Measure tyre diameter at 33 in exactly and program that in and speedo was reading abot 7k's fast at 80 on the speedo! Dropped it back 1/4 inch at a time and retested and am now back down to 32in and its reading about 2 - 3 km's fast still. Looks like it will need to be about 31.75 in to read accurately.

Is this normal?

Yes, as far as I know it's normal. A "correctly" calibrated speedo should always read faster than you're travelling. It should never read under your actual road speed. It always used to be up to +10% out, but they may have tightened that up as that was years ago.

Also, it still needs to be showing an indicated speed faster than your actual road speed even when the tyres are bald. If you have decent tyres with 14-15mm deep tread that means they can reduce in diameter by nearly 30mm by the time they're illegal. That means based on what you've said you'd need to set it to 32.75" at least with new tyres on and in reality 33" exactly isn't to far away.
Old 04-10-2013
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

FWIW.... not one of the of programmers that I've got actually get the speed right by using the supplied settings... absolutely no idea why but.....
IIRC to get an accurate reading with 37" rubber I ended up setting the tire size to 31.5", just kept making adjustments until the actual reading matched the GPS.

And yes all the other ratio settings are correct ( they actually don't make any difference - the vehicle speed is sourced from the ABS unit which just needs to know tire size )

Weird but frankly I don't care as long as i can get it right... which it is

Last edited by MightyMouse; 04-10-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-10-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post

Is this normal?

Did you measure and take the average height of the front tyres or measure the spare?
I believe measurements need to be done with weight on the tyres and inflated to around 35psi.
Old 04-10-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

mine is spot on, did you dial in the first setting for the tyre size group.
Post New Thread  Reply