Buying advice please - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2020
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Buying advice please

Hi everyone

I'm in the market to buy a used Wrangler.

I plan to get a roof top tent, slide out kitchen, and adventure throughout Australia during the warmer months every year with my girlfriend, dog, and maybe even a kid at some point.

Based on intended use, here's a summary of my needs:
  • Longevity (I plan to keep it for good as a mobile home)
  • Reliability (I plan to sometimes be far from civilisation)
  • Fuel efficiency
  • Lots of storage space
  • Fun!

In turn, I've narrowed down my search to a JK Unlimited (space), diesel (longevity? & efficiency), manual (fun!). I'm also thinking less than 10 years old and travelled less than 80k kms (longevity & reliability).

Please share how your experiences compare with the logic used here to find a Wrangler that suits the needs above!
Old 06-10-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Just the get the best low km JK you can find for the price you want to spend. Make sure it has a service record kept up to date. Extras and accessories can ad up, so if you can, find one already optioned up a bit like roof rack, tow bar, bull bar ect.. the more the better. Look underneath for signs of saltwater beach work, I.e. rust. Fuel economy - diesel is probably best, but let’s face it, a Jeep Wrangler is built like a square box on wheels with no aerodynamics to speak of. Never buy a Wrangler for fuel economy. And, reliability is only as good as you put into maintaining it with regular services and keeping up with other maintenance issues as they arise.
Old 06-10-2020
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I hear you re fuel efficiency. I know I’m not buying a Prius. What I really mean is minimising fuel inefficiency. I do wonder how much more efficient the diesel is over the petrol alternative in real terms. Would love to hear what mileage people are achieving with which engines.
Old 06-10-2020
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick3171 View Post
I hear you re fuel efficiency. I know I’m not buying a Prius. What I really mean is minimising fuel inefficiency. I do wonder how much more efficient the diesel is over the petrol alternative in real terms. Would love to hear what mileage people are achieving with which engines.
Doesn’t matter the vehicle, modern diesels are inherently more economical than petrol. However, if the petrol version was $8,000 less than the diesel one, that is a lot of extra fuel you can use in the petrol before you hit break even.
Old 07-10-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 544 Times in 264 Posts

I have the 07 3.8 JKU that I have used extensively for long distance travel much of it off road outback via deserts etc. Now done 231000Km. It has done the GRR, Cape York, the gulf country, Anne Bedell Hwy, Gary Junction Hwy. Birdsville, Oodnadatta, Strezylecki, Canning Stock route, there Gascoynre, Pilbara, Nullboring, mid WA etc etc etc.

Sometimes I have pulled a 7x4 trailer kitted out as for a camper trailer, sometimes I have swagged it and other times have used a RTT.

Notwithstanding other things, the vehicle will need at least all terrain tyres (shod X6) a 2" lift, airbags at rear, decent shocks a half size roof rack, decent distance driving lights (LED preferably) fitted to some sort of front bar and a tow bar fitted. You will also need a two way CB radio. U also might want to invest in more comfortable front seats. I removed the rear ones and have fitted drawers and a fridge.

Hope this is of some use.
Old 07-10-2020
Full Flexer

By the way, if you intend touring into remote areas, some communities only have diesel (because of problems with petrol and substance abuse). So diesel may be a strong consideration.
Old 07-10-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 544 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishframe View Post
By the way, if you intend touring into remote areas, some communities only have diesel (because of problems with petrol and substance abuse). So diesel may be a strong consideration.
mmm this is true to some extent but most have OPAL petrol especially in NT. A lot of vehicles in indigenous communities are actually petrol powered sedans and the likes.
Post New Thread  Reply