Rampage Locking Hood Latch 76336 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep Installation and How To's
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-11-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 32 Times in 9 Posts
Default Rampage Locking Hood Latch 76336

This is a comprehensive step by step install for the Rampage Locking Hood Latch 76336 (Jeep JK Wrangler, 07-Up 2DR & 4DR). I have a Right Hand Drive 2014 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited.

Background information:
  • Bought this kit from an online retail store: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/rampage...ess-76336.html.
  • Ordered online on a Sunday, received an email shipping quote for $USD31 via DHL Express (provides a tracking link). The package arrived 8 days after initial online order.
  • I have no previous mechanical experience, so if I can do it, you can do it too.
  • Tools used: 3/8” square drive ratchet, 10mm & 13mm sockets, and 4mm allen wrench.
  • Installation time: FOR ME 2 hours (took my time, took pics, adjustment of latches and catches consumed the most time).
The kit contains:
  • 2 x Hood lock assemblies (w/rubber pad)
  • 2 x Hood catch (w/rubber pad)
  • Left to right: 2 x large nuts, 2 x large star washers, 4 x small pan head bolts, 4 x small nyloc nuts, 4 x small star washers, 4 x flat washers
  • 2 x pairs of keys

Installation:
  1. To remove the factory hood latch assemblies, I had to first remove the front grille to fit my ratchet + socket. There was simply no space to fit it in, therefore FOR ME, there was no need for a drive extension or a universal joint attachment for this install as some instructions may ask for.
  2. To remove the front grille, first disconnect the electrical indicator light latch. This is done by first pulling back on the red slider, then squeezing the trigger to remove the entire latch. Do this on both sides.
  3. Now, on the top of the grille there are 6 plastic inserts which can be carefully removed with the use of a flathead screwdriver. There is also an accompanying plastic anchor which should be removed in a similar fashion.
  4. Finally, to remove the grille, be aware that there are 6 metal inserts holding the grille to the body. At first removal, it may be quite tough, just grow some brains and balls and work them out of their place.
  5. With the grille removed, I used a 3/8” square ratchet drive (instructions asked for a ¼” drive) along with a 13mm socket to remove the bolt holding the factory hood latch assembly. I fitted the tool by starting from the bottom in and moving it up into position. Remove both factory latches.
  6. As you can see, there is a significant difference in rubber thickness between the Rampage and Stock. This rubber is what prevents the hood of your jeep coming into contact with the body.
  7. Now we will install the Rampage Hood latch assembly to the body. Carefully using your fingers, place the large star washer and spin the large nut onto the stud of the latch. I suggest not tightening up so we can adjust the position when we come to close the latch. Note: This latch is very tight. Repeat the process on the other side of the jeep.
  8. Using a 3/8” square ratchet drive with a 10mm socket, remove the two nuts of the stock hood catch.
  9. Install the Rampage hood catch assembling it as follows. Place the small star washers under the heads of the small pan head bolts, (so it should be outside the hood), and then add the large flat washer to be held by the nyloc nut. Install both Rampage hood catches on both sides. I also again suggest not tightening up so we can adjust the position when we come to close the latch.
  10. As you can see, we can now have free movement/adjustment of the Rampage hood catch. In MY CASE I had to position the Rampage hood catch so it was at its lowest point. In addition I had to position the Rampage hood latch so it was at its highest point. Note: when adjusting and finding best fit, unlock the Rampage latch to lift the latch onto the hood catch (I was used to the stock method of putting on latches that I didn’t know what was going on ><) When you are happy tighten the catches and latches using the 13mm and 10mm socket respectively. You will need a 4 mm allen wrench to tighten the Rampage hood catch.
  11. Fit the grille back in by pressing in the 6 metal inserts.
  12. Push in both the 6 plastic anchors and inserts through the top of the grille.
  13. Finally reconnect the electrical indicator light latches. Be sure to lock the latch by pushing the red slider back in.

Here is a comparison photo of the Rampage Locking Hood Latch versus the Stock Hood Latch.

Quick Review: I like the Rampage Locking Hood Latches and provides that peace of mind security wise. Some people may be put off how tight the latches are and how close the latches pull the hood to the body of the jeep.
Old 25-11-2014
MudSplasher

Liked 133 Times in 104 Posts

The locks are great, However it took me about 25 mins and I never removed the grill.
Old 25-11-2014
Senior Newbie

Liked 32 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightMods View Post
The locks are great, However it took me about 25 mins and I never removed the grill.
I seriously couldn't find any space to get the ratchet in without temporarily removing the grille... What year/model JK do you have?
Old 25-11-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 584 Times in 369 Posts

Using a ring spanner or a ratchet ring can help. I changed mine to Rugged Ridge ones without pulling the grill.

Exceptional write up....thanks for taking the time to photograph and put that together.
Old 25-11-2014
MudSplasher

Liked 133 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv View Post
I seriously couldn't find any space to get the ratchet in without temporarily removing the grille... What year/model JK do you have?
Its a great detailed write up to do it the right way. Don't get me wrong but I just used a ring spanner, a few extra swear words and got it done.
If I wasn't rushed for time I strongly suggest taking the grill out.
Good work on the write up, Only thing is make sure its adjusted 100%. It isn't until you install these you notice how sloppy the JK body work is lined up, But it is needed to allow the body to flex as much as the JK does so it is normal.
Old 25-11-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 109 Times in 81 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I was struggling to install the same thing and end up getting ring spanner for the job as well. Too lazy to get the grill off. It took me about half hour to install. (that's when I have the right tools..)
Old 25-11-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 48 Times in 39 Posts

Great write-up mate. Nice work.
Post New Thread  Reply