Trading the Forester…..Buying my first Jeep !! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KL Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-01-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Thumbs up Trading the Forester…..Buying my first Jeep !!

After a very happy and satisfying seven years in my 08 XT Forester turbo, I’ve given up waiting for a new XT Suby to come out that I actually like enough to trade in the MY09 model I have now.

I got busy trolling through countless review and comparison sites (particularly for performance SUV’s under 50k!) I narrowed it down to either another Forester ($55k for the premium!) or a Jeep Cherokee. Seeing some very happy jeep customers amongst friends and work colleagues I convinced my better half to accompany me down to the Jeep dealership (Albion) for a test drive.

They had some pretty sweet specials on hail damaged Cherokee’s from the recent storms up here. But more research and a call to my insurance swayed me otherwise. We road tested the Cherokee LTD (fully optioned). Whilst not the same light weight exciting drive and performance from the turbo XT, there was more a feeling of solid refined power with an interior and tech pack features that simply blows the Suby out of the playing field.

After reading every internet review and you tube video in the English language, I felt a strong leaning towards to revered TRAILHAWK.

I could not take me eyes of it in the showroom – even when the sales guy was selling me on the Limited. I was mesmerised by the looks of this mean machine and how different it looks from the SUV hordes that are everywhere in Brisbane these days. Even the latest model my beloved Forester has lost its bonnet scoop, now blending in with every other Rav 4, CRV, X-Trail etc etc

But I have to confess, if the look of the KL Cherokee polarises people, then I found myself on the side of LOVING IT

I guess being a potential first time Jeep owner, I have nothing to compare it to and am not jaded by the older more traditional Jeep designs.

As with the majority of other SUV owners up here, my Forester never saw much 4WD action. Lots of slippery boat ramps and only ever hit sand once launching the boat at a River sand ramp at Maroochydoore.

I’m thinking things could change if I get the Trailhawk. I’m thinking the advanced 4WD diff locker, low range and of course 1” lift, I will feel more confident in hitting the beaches here in SE QLD . I was surprised to learn that my current Forester actually has higher ground clearance than the Trailhawk (4mm), who would’ve thunkit?!

So I’m looking at the Granite colour, and going to splurge on both the Tech Pack (just astounded by this, never seen anything like it before) and the Convenience Pack. Throw in a tow bar to boot and I’m pushing $60k retail….!!

I read in somewhere on this forum from folks who argued you could get a Grand Cherokee Limited for that sort of cash. It made me question my whole rationale for what I want out of the jeep, and I’m just not ready to take a leap into a traditional 4x4 just yet. I know the capabilities increase (including an enormous 275mm ground clearance with their electronic lift ability), but we are a family of 4 – 2 of which are the four legged ‘sausage’ variety So we really don’t need the medium to large 4X4 just yet.

Has anyone had experience with taking a Trailhawk on the beach (Moreton / Fraser / Rainbow beach etc)? I would like to hear how you get on with packing camping gear into a limited cargo space. I keep going back to the Forester (as that’s all I have to compare) but we had the cargo area pretty packed up when we go camping. I’m guessing the Cherokee will struggle with loads of camping stuff? At least the rear seats can slide forward and it looks not much different in volume.

Anyway, this post is more about comparisons and observations after a solid few weeks of research. Now to start haggling for the best price. Any thoughts on dealer or broker?

Cheers

Matt

Last edited by mattyd; 15-01-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 15-01-2015
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Had a KL Cherokee come out with me to Fraser island not too long ago, I was in my JK. The damn KL kept up! I was quite impressed! This was just the 3.2L limited, it handled everything really well, didn't get in trouble once. I have also grown to love the look. My hatred for Subaru and their unreliable 2.5L will not be mentioned here as this will turn into a hate thread.
Old 15-01-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 75 Times in 44 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Isn't the limited the one without low range etc?
9000lb Winch
Old 15-01-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One View Post
Had a KL Cherokee come out with me to Fraser island not too long ago, I was in my JK. The damn KL kept up! I was quite impressed! This was just the 3.2L limited, it handled everything really well, didn't get in trouble once. I have also grown to love the look. My hatred for Subaru and their unreliable 2.5L will not be mentioned here as this will turn into a hate thread.
Nice to hear something positive. Fraser is another area I would really enjoy exploring further.

I tell you what I posted the same on whirlpool later today (obviously a wider and less biased public) and my lord there's a lot of passionate hate out there for anything Jeep. Mind you there's a lot of 'uneducated' opinions there too...

The KL Trailhawk would open up my weekends hitting the beach with confidence. It just seems to give me more bang for buck when you're shelling out $50-60k.

The dealer came back to me today with the price of the towbar... $1440 (wtf?). Subaru only wanted $850 for my Forester. I think the tech packs I want can only be added at the factory so it could be a long wait....
Old 16-01-2015

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I don't have personal experience, but I know of someone who owns a new Trailhawk. He says it's good for the sand, but the stock ground clearance can be a bit of a problem so the lift kit would be needed. It's also worth noting that on the trailhawk's front bumper, the bottom lip curves in, rather than outwards on the normal Cherokee so it has a good approach angle, which is great for dunes. We went on a trip with him last week down to the beach and we found that despite having a 'sand' mode in the Selec-Terrain drive system, it worked better on Auto. We also did a few trails, and I must say that the Selec-Terrain system works quite well and it doesn't have the noisy, jerky activation that some similar systems have.

However, with the Trailhawk, some of the on-road quality is lost. It's not as refined as the normal Cherokee and if you're not doing a lot of off-roading that's something to really think about. Personally, if I were in your situation I would go with a Grand Cherokee. They won car of the year for a reason. Lovely to drive on road, more room, and still just as capable, if not more so, off the beaten path. Plus there's more aftermarket stuff available for them, though I'm sure that will change in time as the Cherokee ages. But don't let me change your mind! You'll know the car you want when you see it, I'm sure. Good luck! It's a hard choice.
Old 16-01-2015

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd View Post
Nice to hear something positive. Fraser is another area I would really enjoy exploring further.

I tell you what I posted the same on whirlpool later today (obviously a wider and less biased public) and my lord there's a lot of passionate hate out there for anything Jeep. Mind you there's a lot of 'uneducated' opinions there too...

The KL Trailhawk would open up my weekends hitting the beach with confidence. It just seems to give me more bang for buck when you're shelling out $50-60k.

The dealer came back to me today with the price of the towbar... $1440 (wtf?). Subaru only wanted $850 for my Forester. I think the tech packs I want can only be added at the factory so it could be a long wait....
The Jeep dealers are notoriously expensive. My bonnet struts needed replacing about a month ago (damn thing kept hitting me on the head, they're heavier than they look!), so we went to the dealer first. $280! For two little gas struts! So I thought stuff that, and I took my Jeep to a local gas strut place and they gave me a pair for $90.
Old 16-01-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 130 Times in 82 Posts

For 60k my money would be with the Grand CRD and enjoy the change $$$$
Post New Thread  Reply