265/70R17 - fit a WH? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2010
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 243 Times in 129 Posts

Hey Ginga,

I run this size but am using Commander rims as they give an extra 7mm of clearance. You will have to cut the bolt, and do the pinchweld mod. Mine is lifted with OME 50mm too, and have no other rubbing issues. I havent cut the bolt for the BFG A/ts, but will probably have to when i move to KM2's next month.

As for the spare I run a std size spare under the vehicle for emergencies and another 265/70 on the roof when travelling or offroad.

(disregard the tread on the spare on the roof in the second pic, it was all the tyre shop had to replace after a staked one in Woolgoogla at chrissy)

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	38088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scenic1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	38089  
Old 10-02-2010
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Ginga, i have the ome lift 50mm and LT265/65R17 BFG AT's on standard rims. The spare just fits and i mean just - the rear tracking bar rubs very slightly and the wheel is tight on the back of the tow hitch. My front wheels rub a little on full lock but you hear the tread rubbing and turn back very slightly and aok.
Old 10-02-2010
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ginga, Stick to the 245/70R17 which is closer to the 245/65R17 that is specified by Jeep as their standard tyre!
When you go to 265/65R17’s you are going two tyre sizes bigger – check the legality of that with your local authority and your insurance company.

I have seen Dave's WH with Mickey Thompson 5 Rib LT tyres last July and they cleared the bolt no problems.

He did however, have the heavy duty OME 50mm lift kit though, he has a bulbar as per his post, I previously gave you a link to this.

Subsequently we have both been to Cape York, my WH shod with 245/65R17 ATR Cooper tyres.
I have twice found out that the lighter ply of Cooper AT/R’s can cause rocks to puncture the tyre easily, so tyre pressures are critical.
Unfortunately Cooper do not make our size in their Light Truck AT/R range, they are 10 ply too.

The Cooper ATR's (107S - 6 Ply – 975Kg) have a lighter ply and load rating than the M/T's (LT118 - 10 Ply 1360Kg) of course they’ll give you a slightly harsher ride without the associated tyre roll.

Note – the Cooper website no longer gives number of ply’s for the passenger ATR’s in our size – have they become sensitive or embarrassed by the higher ply rating on other tyres?

M/T/s will be my next tyres, the Coopers are a bit low on Kg's of weight they can carry and give some concerns when towing a heavy van as well as a big load when going camping without the van.

I will just replace the front springs with the HD OME 50mm lift ones if I have a problem with the bolt, but I suspect that this will not be necessary.
Heavier springs will not alter the ride height but will dampen down the up and down movement, thus negating the opportunity for the bolt to rub.

Both tyre manufacturers share the same manufacturing base.

In the end it comes down to personal preference, based on research, good luck with your tyre selection.
Old 11-02-2010
Established Member

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks again guys

Great information. I know, with my towbar tongue in situ, that my 245/65's JUST have enough room in the spare well. Of course I could always cut the 'inside end' of the tongue off but ...

Another reason for the 245/70s as Johnv suggested

07 Anniv. CRD, ARB bar, TB-CRD2 chip, SWC, LRA tank, OME kit, snorkel, etc
Old 11-02-2010
Established Member

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

For information, & specifically in terms of this topic (there are obviously other mods which require certification) the following was extracted from an email I have from an engineer which spells out just what is required in NSW if you do a tyre size change:

"A 50mm suspension lift doesn't usually require certification, but a tyre diameter change of over 15mm does.

The speedometer drive has to be recalibrated to suit the tyre diameter.
The tyres have to be covered by the mudguards or flares. The mudflaps behind the rear wheels have to be replaced or extended such that the
bottom edge is no higher than 300mm above the ground and the mudflaps and flares or guards must provide contiguous coverage of the tyres."

The really stupid thing is the speedo re-calibration! With the 245/70 tyres (+ 3.3%) you would bet that the speedo was probably more accurate than before.

07 Anniv. CRD, ARB bar, TB-CRD2 chip, SWC, LRA tank, OME kit, snorkel, etc

Last edited by ginga; 11-02-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-02-2010
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am also looking at 265/70 R17, not so much for the size and lift, but because there are heaps more tyre choices of the LT type.
This size also has load ratings around the 120 mark whereas the 65 series and the smaller 70 series tyres have load ratings around 115ish.
I've personally found that the tyres with load ratings around 120 are more resistant to puncture. (compared to those around 115, and the total mass limit is increased by about 800kg).

Another benefit is that 265/70 R17 is pretty common out bush as this is the next size up from the OE Prado tyre size (265/65 R17).

As to the spare wheel well, i was going to do the towbar mod and stow the tyre semi-deflated (maybe 20psi) for extra give to squeeze it in.
Reckon should be OK with an onboard compressor.
Old 06-03-2010
Just Build it

What Jeep do I drive?: Brute
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts

Digging up a bit of an oldish thread here but has anyone gone any larger than 265/70/17's on this Forum?

I've just bought a WH CRD LTD and will be giving it the full treatment. I've also got a set of 17x8.5" 5.3" BS AEV Pintler Wheels coming for it. Was hoping to run 285/70/17's Happy to trim and cut here and there, nothing different from what Ive done with all my Jeeps over the years!
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD
Post New Thread  Reply