Jeep Gladiator Eco Diesel in Australia - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > PORTAL > AUSTRALIAN JEEP NEWS
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2021
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,174 Times in 709 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Jeep Gladiator Eco Diesel in Australia

jeep gladiator eco diesel australiaThe first diesel-powered Jeep Gladiator has been launched in the US due to “overwhelming consumer demand”.

The 2021 Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel not only delivers significantly more torque than the 3.6-litre Pentastar petrol V6 – the only engine available in Australia – but new standards of fuel economy and driving range for the dual-cab 4x4 ute.

Good for outputs of 195kW of power and 600Nm of torque, the 3.0-litre EcoDiesel V6 will be matched exclusively to an eight-speed automatic transmission in the Jeep Gladiator – just like the petrol V6 version, which offers 209kW/347Nm.

Jeep says the transmission, which has been calibrated for low-RPM shifts and extreme on- and off-road rigours, has “more than 40 individual shift maps to optimise shift points for fuel economy, performance and 4x4 capability”.

Fiat Chrysler’s Italian-made 60-degree DOHC V6 turbo-diesel is matched with a Rock-Trac two-speed transfer case with a 4.0:1 low-range gear ratio in Rubicon models, while diesel Sport and Overland variants come with Command-Trac part-time two-speed transfer case with 2.72:1 low-range ratio.

Jeep says there have been several significant changes to the 3.0-litre V6 oil-burner for its application in the Gladiator, including redesigned cylinder-head intake ports, high-pressure direct-injection fuel-injectors, lightweight aluminium pistons and a revised compression ratio.

Meanwhile, a new-generation water-cooled turbocharger comes with a variable-geometry turbine (VGT) to boost responsiveness, and the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system has been updated to minimise turbocharger energy losses and increase fuel economy.

Diesel-powered Gladiators are also said to come with minimal levels of noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) thanks in part to the new compression ratio, a redesigned two-piece oil sump and heat-treated cylinder-heads.

Also fitted to diesel models is fuel-saving idle-stop technology and a 5.1-gallon (19-litre) diesel exhaust fluid (DEF, or AdBlue) tank, the refilling of which is designed to align with 10,000-mile (16,000km) service intervals. AdBlue levels can be monitored via a new DEF gauge on the dash.

Pricing, fuel consumption, towing and payload details are yet to be announced for the Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel – which is available for North American customers to order now, ahead of first US deliveries by September – but potential Aussie buyers best not get their hopes up.

While a new entry-level variant is expected to lower the local admission price by around $10,000, the Jeep Gladiator will still cost at least $65,000, still won’t tow 3500kg and still won’t carry anywhere near a tonne like most dual-cab 4x4 ute rivals, because no diesel will be available in Australia any time soon.

“We are not aiming to play in that [dual-cab 4x4 diesel ute] market,” said Jeep Australia product manager Guillaume Drelon.

“We are not intending to sell 15,000 cars in that [work ute] market, because we know we have a product that is unique, specific and has a [different] purpose.”

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 12-12-2021
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Up the towing capacity and payload and you'll steal the other dual cabs...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 371 Times in 210 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
While a new entry-level variant is expected to lower the local admission price by around $10,000, the Jeep Gladiator will still cost at least $65,000, still won’t tow 3500kg and still won’t carry anywhere near a tonne like most dual-cab 4x4 ute rivals, because no diesel will be available in Australia any time soon.

“We are not aiming to play in that [dual-cab 4x4 diesel ute] market,” said Jeep Australia product manager Guillaume Drelon.

“We are not intending to sell 15,000 cars in that [work ute] market, because we know we have a product that is unique, specific and has a [different] purpose.”
Be interesting to see how well these sell (V6 diesel ) when they become available:
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/202...anger-revealed

Cheers
Old 26-11-2022
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The dealership here in Melbourne where i purchased my new 2022 Gladiator said that the real reason why the diesel wont be coming to Australia is because due to the configuration of the turbocharged diesel engine, the car is not able to be converted to right hand drive...there isn't space on the RHS of the engine to install steering components needed for the conversion.
Post New Thread  Reply