Custom center console 10inch Sub enclosure - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-07-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Custom center console 10inch Sub enclosure

So this is all in my Build thread but I thought I would give it its own thread so anyone that is searching for it will be able to find it easier.

So I Originally had 2 10 inch subwoofers that were in a small box I have had for about 10 years. Rather than throw them out I just put them in my TJ behind the rear seats when I bought it. But it was becoming a pain cos I had zero room for camping and I couldnt take the rear seats out etc so I decided to fab up a enclosure into the existing center console.

This is my console, as you can see it is the long single piece version

I planned to mount the sub facing backwards and leave myself enough room to have full range of the front seats and still have enough room to fold the rear seat flat against the front seats too.

Here is the underside, you can see it has a eski like enclosure that is the current compartment. I am going to use this as my sub enclosure.

No turning back now. So I made my first cut, now you can see I had to cut through the diagonal shape of the compartment, its shaped like that to clear the handbrake mechanism so I would have to fab up some MDF bits to seal that off again.

as you can see here

I also had to seal off the top so I put in a MDF shelf and sat it in there low enough to still give me a little compartment under the lid to fit my wallet, phone etc.

Just another few view of the MDF sealing

I then taped all the edges pre fibreglassing. (only had some silver tape handy)

First coats of fibreglass on the inside

Time to mount the speaker ring. Just used hot glue, dowel and MDF as per all the other write ups online. I chose not to flush mount the sub with the 2 speaker rings because I was so limited for space, plus my subs have a thick rubber ring already on them.

I also fibreglassed the enclosure from the underside because it was much easier to reach than sticking my hand up inside the cutout and I could lay in on thick and not take up too much air volume for the sub.

Streched out some fabric over the speaker ring, then doused it in resin!

Finished fibreglassing, man I had a headspin!! Not too bad considering it is the first time I have done any fibreglassing.

Slapped on some builders bog (never done that before either)

Sanded primed and painted!!!

Fits in there perfect and I can still use my seats. Man it sounds awesome right under my elbow too. way better than the 2 combined did in the rear!

one last pic.

As I said I have never done any fibreglassing before so I am pretty stoked as to how it came out. probably took me a good 20 hours or more with all the planning and measuring included.
Worth it for functionality though.
Old 27-07-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default Custom center console 10inch Sub enclosure

Nice job.

Cheers
Old 23-03-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That pretty cool Nice work!
Old 14-04-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: Brute
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well the things that you made all have been done in limited time. This is looking much handsome as fixed in beside of driver seat. The way you use the rough materials and got a product like that is much helpful for you. Nice work done buddy.
Post New Thread  Reply