Jamming Throttle - CRD - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-04-2010

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Jamming Throttle - CRD

Has anyone experienced the accelerator sticking or moving by itself?

I thought I was imagining the accelerator was hesitant to release from WOT occasionally, but yesterday in a tight carpark the accelerator went straight to the floor by itself and the JK tried its hardest to punt a handivan into the Todd river.

I stood on the brakes with both feet (auto) and the tyres squealed for a bit, then I think the ABS activated and cut the throttle -just before hitting the car in front.

My missus experienced the same thing 2 weeks ago going around a corner.

I doubt it is the car mat underneath causing the problem (but I removed it anyway).
I recently had a problem with the horn activating by itself, so maybe there is an electrical gremlin at work - its all electronics these days isn't it?

I will book it in next week to get fixed, but I am curious to know if anyone else has experienced similar behavior
Old 24-04-2010
DetroitDemon

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

sure its not a Toyota?
Old 26-04-2010
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Interesting..
Mate my missus said she thought the accelerator was going a bit by itself..not to the point you just described, but enuff to make her go "WTF?"
I think I'll be keeping a close eye on this...
Post up what they find out if you don't mind...
Old 04-05-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have noticed many times a jump in throttle when in low range descending hills, enough that you need to brake to get it back to a slow descent.

I have experienced it both with and without air con on, so no reason for idle to increase like that when its not on
Old 05-05-2010
Established Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

In low 1st I seem to 'stick' at 1500 rpm unless I tap the throttle - steady and controlled on that engine speed, on some fairly steep descents. Other low range gears don't have the same steadiness, so I guessed there is some electronic throttle control happening there, but maybe only low 1st.

-Richard
Old 05-05-2010
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

I notice a lack of throttle randomly about 1500rpm.

Sometimes when it comes back in it results in wheelspin. Doesn't bother me lol
Old 05-05-2010
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

can't see how the throttle can go to the floor by itself. except for the pedal itself the whole thing is electronic. the pedal is just pretty much a pedal with a return spring attached to a rheostat to vary the resitance in the accelerator circuit. the return spring is hardly going to push the pedal to the floor.
Post New Thread  Reply