Tyres - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Hot Topic of week
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-10-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default Tyres

Hi everyone and welcome to the first hot topic of the week, tyres. Some questions to get the ball rolling:

What tyre and what size are you running and what is your opinion of them?
What are you planning to purchase next and why?
Best tyres to suit touring, road use, sand etc?

Feel free to discuss anything regarding this topic though.
Old 30-10-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'll give it a go!

i'm running 245/70XR16 - yokohama Geolander A/T's (and i hate them) they came new with the car so hence i have not and hasn't sold or bought new ones of them..
when airing down from around 34psi to offroad use around 12'ish psi, they don't bag out as i would expect and within 'wet' conditions offroad general dirt roads they fill up with gravel and dirt / mud very easily and they don't clean them selves out all that well. (yes i know they are not a mud terrain which do) but i was just expecting more..

on the rocks they uhhhhh they seem okay actually grip to the ground and don't get torn up as much as i thought they would..

ON ROAD - they are pretty good all round, they are wearing very well, but are loud... louder than say the maxxix bravo range i have had, or even louder than the pirelli scorpian A/T's when i say loud i don't mean deafining but they are not exatcly as quiet as other A/T's !

NEXT TIRE - federal M/T's

i have a set of these on my rig: and i appreciate them greatly, i have had Maxxix BigHorns and i found that the Feds out performed the maxxix on every track i have driven on, and the tracks have only gotten worse which means the tires have gotten better...
when airing down again from around 34psi - 12'ish psi, they bag out 'width' wise? instead of length more it appears, upon looking at them, i have not gotten down and drawn the lines and stuff to see but when i can "SEE" the difference that is nice!!

the feds are pretty loud actually only around 80k's and above sort of need to turn up the stereo a fair bit hahaaha! and that's alright just make sure you have a cracking stereo is all hehehehe!!!

FUTURE TYRES - TOURING

if we ever plan on touring up the jeeper, i plan on getting a set of DICK CEPEX? FCII they are fantastic offroad with aggressive AT grip and on road wear and tear grip is fenominal
Old 30-10-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have a mate that bought federals. They all started splitting so he took them back and got them replaced under warranty. He was told they had addressed the issues and while i think he got a fair bit of life out of the second set he blew a front at 100km/h and upon inspection it appears they are a splitting in the same spot. Otherwise from what I've seen they have good traction for a normal M/T.
Old 30-10-2012
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 67 Times in 40 Posts

I was running mt atz 265/70/17 they were good but now just recently got maxis bighorn 285/70/17 I have found the maxis excellent so far on and offroad

2013 commando green JKU
Formally Commando Thunder
" Live everyday like its your last "
Old 30-10-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Were they the 4 rib mt ATZ's? How do the Maxis compare in noise and ride? Will be looking for new tyres over the next 12 months or so and have been looking at many options. After many discussions I am leaning toward the Goodyear Duratracs, but still open for re-education!!

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 30-10-2012
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 67 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Were they the 4 rib mt ATZ's? How do the Maxis compare in noise and ride? Will be looking for new tyres over the next 12 months or so and have been looking at many options. After many discussions I am leaning toward the Goodyear Duratracs, but still open for re-education!!
The mt atz were the 5rib they were good especially when driving windy roads held really well.
The maxis performed extremely well at landcruiser a few weekends ago but I found when I was pushing hard around tight corners on the black top to get to landcruiser I had to release the loud pedal abit
On general driving yes they are louder than the atz, but I expected that. When you first take off you can feel the effort to get them going.
In general although I have had the maxis a short time I am very happy

2013 commando green JKU
Formally Commando Thunder
" Live everyday like its your last "
Old 01-11-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mika View Post
I have a mate that bought federals. They all started splitting so he took them back and got them replaced under warranty. He was told they had addressed the issues and while i think he got a fair bit of life out of the second set he blew a front at 100km/h and upon inspection it appears they are a splitting in the same spot. Otherwise from what I've seen they have good traction for a normal M/T.
BUGGER - i know that the 35" MAXXIX BuckShot's split very badly, as a cheap alternative tire for people who owned trepadors.. who have now gone to a 35" MAXXIX BigHorn - they have found the same issue, no where near as bad however still annoying enough that all 4rigs in our club running 35"s have happened to..

i'm only running a 30-31" Federal MT so i know that the "smaller" MT you go the less change they have of splitting, what size were your feds??

otherwise we did consider to SuperSwamper Boggers... but every one seemed to report that at aroun 80k's every one expierences blow outs on the road
that was enough for me hahaah!!!
Post New Thread  Reply