Shock Absorbers, Bump Stops, Shafts - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2022
Back again

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 62 Times in 52 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Smile Shock Absorbers, Bump Stops, Shafts

Changed out the front bump stops on the WG today. The RHS was basically just a crumbled mess. Easy job to do.

For those who have read about my car, you may remember that I mentioned that the front springs fall out when the car is lifted off the ground. I measured the front shock absorbers and just curious if anyone happens to know the length of their shocks? I measured from the center of the lower attaching pin to the top of where the rubber meets the body (inside the wheel arch). With the shock absorber at full length, I got 570mm. From what I can tell, this is about 50mm too long.

Checked the ride height measuring from the center of the rim to the wheel arch. It all looks to line up pretty nicely with previous threads on the subject, just seems it sags on the left. FR = 490mm, FL = 475mm, RR = 515mm, RL = 495mm. I'm wondering if I should swap the lefts and rights just to see if it makes any difference.

Also, I have noticed that i can bottom out on the front bump stops pretty easily. I read a thread where it was recommended to put spacers under the bump stops to stop bigger wheels from rubbing when the springs are compressed. Does this look like what is fitted here or is this normal? I just have stock wheels at the moment and only planning on going to 30.5 in the future, so nothing big really. If these are not meant to be here, I will take them out and get the full travel back.

The front drive shaft seems to be at it's limit too when the front suspension is at full travel. Does this seem like it is too much angle?

Edit: Just found this which shows no spacer.

Last edited by RTB; 02-02-2022 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-02-2022
Rock Munki

Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Found this on an old thread:

Measured from bottom of body to top of body were Ext: 480mm Comp: 310mm.

The rear measured from centre of eye both ends were Ext: 547mm Comp: 345mm, give or take a mm.

The spacer under the bump stop is normal on the CRD as mine has them. I'd not worry about the front shaft angle at full droop but definitely take a look at it while it's on the ground. If you have a moderate lift the boot on the rezeppa joint will fail at some point.
Old 02-02-2022
Back again

Check out my Ride(s)

Well found. A bit shorter than mine. Looks like new shocks for me then. The rears are bloody noisy, so might as well change all 4.

Any idea why the CRD would have the bump stop spacers? It really doesn't take much for me to hit them while driving. Maybe new shocks might help stop the diff bashing into the bum stops too.
Old 02-02-2022
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I don't think that is standard.

Sent from my moto g( plus using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2022
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 232 Times in 189 Posts

The shocks are definitely not standard and I have the same blocks under the bumpstops
Old 03-02-2022
Rock Munki

Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Any idea why the CRD would have the bump stop spacers? It really doesn't take much for me to hit them while driving. Maybe new shocks might help stop the diff bashing into the bum stops too.
Don't know why they'd be there not he CRD if they V8 doesn't have them. Seems a little odd.
Old 03-02-2022
Back again

Check out my Ride(s)

I haven't actually looked yet, but the only reason I can think of is if the sump hits the diff if it comes up too far.

When I get around to putting in new shocks (just waiting on length confirmation of the new ones), I will take the springs out and raise the diff until it hits the bump stops. This will give me a chance to see if it will hit anything, or if the spacers can come out.
Post New Thread  Reply