Brake caliper problem? Piston sticky and uneven pad wear - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-07-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Brake caliper problem? Piston sticky and uneven pad wear

Hi,
So I just replaced the pads in my 99 XJ.

I noticed that on the passenger the inside pad was worn down a lot more than the other 3. Like 60% thickness compared to the others.

When I was pushing the piston back in to fit new pads (using a G-clamp like the book says!) it was really stiff to get back in.

Does this mean I need to overhaul the calipers or is it indicative of some other problem?

The rotors are straight and don't seem to be worn massively so I haven't replaced em. (I haven't measured them but the tool budget has been blown out during the past week).

Anything else I should look at?

Also gonna be flushing all the old fluid out tomorrow since there was heaps of bubbles in when I bled the fronts a little to lower the fluid level a bit.
Old 30-07-2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If they are the original kits might be an idea to replace the pistons and seals with new ones. mine were the original bakerlite(think thats right) ones and did the same thing and even got stuck as over time they soak up and swell with fluid. the new ones i got are either Stainless or chromed. Better pedal feel to now.
Old 31-07-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The pistons are normally tight to push back, but aslong as it went back smoothly, it is probally all right. The inside pad wear sounds like the slide pins are seezed or atleast sticking, but could also be wear in the pad guide that is part of the knuckle that doesn't allowing the pad to move.
Old 31-07-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I pulled the pin sleeves out, cleaned and greased em before putting back in, they were pretty clogged with dirt so maybe that will help.

I did also notice a little notch in the knuckle - top inside so maybe that's what's stopping it. Might let them bed in for a couple of weeks then inspect them again.
I should be able to file the notch out the knuckle safely eh? It's maybe only 1 mm deep max and about 1mm wider than the pad guide. Might widen the notch so it travels better.

Anyone know what a caliper overhaul kit runs at? New piston, seals, rubber boots for pin slides etc?
Old 31-07-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had the same issue recently, probably cause the jeep sits around alot. Mine were getting to the stage were you could here them squeal after extended periods of driving. I tried cleaning and lubing the slides (with synthetic grease) but no luck.

I ended up just ordering new Raybestos calipers for both sides from the US, i think it came to under $200 delivered (incl priority shipping)

I didnt really trust myself rebuilding the calipers and by the time i stuffed around getting them both done it probably didnt work out much more expensive.
Old 31-07-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

$200 is a pretty good deal! Where did u order them from?

I'll see how these go for a couple of weeks and maybe think about that if I start getting bad wear or the new pads and fluid don't feel any better.

Next project is inspecting the drums and shoes...
Old 31-07-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

www.rockauto.com

They discount promotions all the time as well, someone posted a link in an earlier thread somewhere but cant remember where it was.
Post New Thread  Reply