360 AMC economy - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-04-2021
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default 360 AMC economy

Hi guys,
I'm wanting to hear your real World fuel figures for a FSJ with the 360 and auto.

I know you don't drive a FSJ for economy, I just want to see what others are getting. Highway and around town. Please mention if your Jeep is modified with tyres, lift etc.

Thanks heaps!
Old 14-04-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

There are heaps of historical threads about the 360. Here is one -

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=108227
Old 15-04-2021

What Jeep do I drive?: FSJ
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

hi
I blew up my 360 as my dad gave it to me but it always pinged a bit on petrol or gas. Maybe had the very early economy cam, as it always had very high vacuum, higher than all our other engines.
I pull so much timing out of the dzzy by hanging the weights etc and it still pinged. Did the cap and center etc though.
It was always good on fuel compared to the US quotes for economy. The damn thing weighs 3 ton, bloody heavy.
Compared to 351 ltd with the same gas kit the SJ was as good or better on fuel except for local work. Takes a bit to get 3 ton to move.
But this one had the 208 tcase, and free wheeling hubs. So highway it was a 2wd except when needed. 3.7 diffs no monstrous tyres.
But it was comparable for the time with big v8 cars. Though our 253 1 tonner was a bit better on gas but not absolutely great.
The reco engine will have a very mild rv cam, its 20 over and will have a factory 4 b manifold. A demon 4b carb with the old gas system. heads will be standard but I will cut the seats and fit new valves as its been on gas a long time.A rollmaster timing kit valve springs up rated.
The dizzy curves a nightmare for the US pollution / emissions so I have a mallory that I can put the curve in I want for gas.

Ignition is the big elephant in the room. If running gas do not wire as the standard recommends for carb types. USE RELAYS FOR ALL GAS on carbs and ignitions. It made such a difference to all our v8s when I got angry and changed them all. The economy improved on all our vehicles some big time.
Use a bosch or Chev module same wiring but bosch is higher amp rating. You can use the ford dizzy but bypass the module as it is not 12v for the coil as it is resistor coil voltage.Yanks only change the coil but it needs the module to really get the benefit of the coil.
Maybe more then you wanted but I believe the motorcraft carb is much more economical then a holley.But the later 2bs had the altitude bypass which screws with the gas systems that we used. As the mixer is great but are not made anymore. We got them direct over 30 years ago from the engineer who developed them. Much more eco than impco. But i now only have 2, one on the jeep and one on a 351 ltd rusting away
I liked the AMC v8 old school and hard to get bits for now. Picked a dead block up for $60 but the heads were cracked, bored it and it will go into the one I popped a piston on.
cheers
jagonev12
Peter
Old 16-04-2021
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagonev12 View Post
hi
I blew up my 360 as my dad gave it to me but it always pinged a bit on petrol or gas. Maybe had the very early economy cam, as it always had very high vacuum, higher than all our other engines.
I pull so much timing out of the dzzy by hanging the weights etc and it still pinged. Did the cap and center etc though.
It was always good on fuel compared to the US quotes for economy. The damn thing weighs 3 ton, bloody heavy.
Compared to 351 ltd with the same gas kit the SJ was as good or better on fuel except for local work. Takes a bit to get 3 ton to move.
But this one had the 208 tcase, and free wheeling hubs. So highway it was a 2wd except when needed. 3.7 diffs no monstrous tyres.
But it was comparable for the time with big v8 cars. Though our 253 1 tonner was a bit better on gas but not absolutely great.
The reco engine will have a very mild rv cam, its 20 over and will have a factory 4 b manifold. A demon 4b carb with the old gas system. heads will be standard but I will cut the seats and fit new valves as its been on gas a long time.A rollmaster timing kit valve springs up rated.
The dizzy curves a nightmare for the US pollution / emissions so I have a mallory that I can put the curve in I want for gas.

Ignition is the big elephant in the room. If running gas do not wire as the standard recommends for carb types. USE RELAYS FOR ALL GAS on carbs and ignitions. It made such a difference to all our v8s when I got angry and changed them all. The economy improved on all our vehicles some big time.
Use a bosch or Chev module same wiring but bosch is higher amp rating. You can use the ford dizzy but bypass the module as it is not 12v for the coil as it is resistor coil voltage.Yanks only change the coil but it needs the module to really get the benefit of the coil.
Maybe more then you wanted but I believe the motorcraft carb is much more economical then a holley.But the later 2bs had the altitude bypass which screws with the gas systems that we used. As the mixer is great but are not made anymore. We got them direct over 30 years ago from the engineer who developed them. Much more eco than impco. But i now only have 2, one on the jeep and one on a 351 ltd rusting away
I liked the AMC v8 old school and hard to get bits for now. Picked a dead block up for $60 but the heads were cracked, bored it and it will go into the one I popped a piston on.
cheers
jagonev12
Peter
Thanks Peter, appreciate it.
Wouldn't be using gas unfortunately.
So that 3 tonne Jeep with the 360, what was it actually consuming l/100?

Im hearing different opinions, anything from 16l/100km to 30l/100km on stock wagons.
Old 16-04-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

I’m reading fuel economies of 20 to 40 litres per hundred k’s. It’s funny, back in the 80’s and 90’s when I had old school Ford V8’s I never bothered looking at economy because petrol was so cheap.
Old 16-04-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts

I have a classic Dodge Charger with a 360mopar small block and it gets around 14L/100kms approx when I’d get out on club runs, and although it is not as heavy as a Jeep, but it has fairly short rear axle ratio engine tuned for performance with little concern for emissions or fuel economy and no overdrive capability as was the norm in the 60’s and 70’s.
Old 16-04-2021

What Jeep do I drive?: FSJ
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

hi
I am old school mpg makes me feel better. I think if I remember rightly about 18 to 20 mpg on trip work which is what most of my traveling is.My 360 charger that I had done porting and cam etc and 4b used to do 18 mpg on a trip.
But I also used to get down to 5mpg a set of disc per tank, collapsed torsion bars and crack in the roof line after a wild night or 2.
Oh to be young and stupid again, but many of my mates did not make it. Could not blow up that old girl.

Better behave when I get the Hemi on the road.
Don't forget the US figures are not relevant if mpg as their gallon is shorter.
The motorcraft late 2barrel was very economical as it had a 2 stage power valve very hard to get. A couple Mustangs used it also. Other parts like jets are holley as they also made a licensed carby in the sixties. Great 4 barrels if you can get one , somebody stole mine. I had swapped it from a carby builder as he was getting 27 mpg on a stinking hot 302 with it.
The secondary venturi is the go have a look in one sometime.
My 4.7 averages about 20mpg but on a trip getting a draft up to 24 and I have not put the 5sp computer in to upgrade the overdrive which would give it a couple extra mpg as it drops the revs about 200 to 300 revs. The wj is gutless though, as soon as you tow halve the fuel consumption.
The sj uses a heavy duty thermo fan coupling, and I replaced it with a Holden one, this is also a saving in fuel.
Tyres make a big difference and even pressures on some vehicles. I always run higher pressures but the SJ just did not like it, my Dad said 34 psi and he was right.
Sorry this is the best I can do, but you will not get late model economy out of one, as new engines can be very eco. But I had a 4cyl Mazda ute and it was on Gas and it was no better then the SJ and i tuned and set up both. My mate had a customers 626 mazda and he had the same problem on gas it drank like a horse.
My mum sad the Sj was as good on fuel as her Fairlane, same gas kit.
Old V8s only on lpg unless your racing Bugger petrol unless avgas.

Try v12 jags for a shock, again lpg but most can't convert properly as they don't understand the way the petrol system works.
Cheers
peter
jagonev12
Post New Thread  Reply