Track Width and Tires - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2018
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Track Width and Tires

Just purchased a 09 JKUR from WA and have it here in the ACT. I have owned lots of jeeps, but not in this country and am having quite a time navigating the laws.

The only issue I haven't been able to solve is the track width. Stock JK's run at about 1574mm and you're allowed 50mm over, maximum.

The Jeep came with some aftermarket 33's on black steelies that put it at 1670mm track width front and rear, well over the limit of 50mm allowed by law. Long story short, these tires/rims will not work, period. So my engineering cert won't go far until this is solved.

The tires barely stick out past the stock fenders so I assumed I was fine with the flare extensions, but the rules say nope and the tape measure doesn't lie.

Looking at options and don't have many so was hoping someone has some insight.

Am I missing something with the law? New rims with more BS? I have stock rims, but they would only get me halfway there. Do I just accept it is time to spend more money?

Any input on what I am missing or if I should start shopping is appreciated!

Last edited by relwell; 07-09-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-09-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts

G'day relwell,
Quote:
Originally Posted by relwell View Post
this country and am having quite a time navigating the laws.
Yep, like the rest of us, just wanting to enjoy the outback without getting stuck and dragging the ass of you rig over every second obstacle.

We need laws to stop the ridiculous but a total of 75 mill is not enough.

Quote:
these tires/rims have to come off in order to even get an engineering certificate.
I'm not sure why an engineer wouldent sign off on the extra track width unless...

Quote:
This all seems amazing since these tires barely stick out past the stock fenders.
...the tires are sticking out past the guards.
Any amount of tire or wheel protruding beyond the wheel arches/flares or leading edge of the vehicle is not allowed, with or without an engineers cert.
The po-po down here just love defecting on this issue so engineers are sensitive to tire or wheel protruding past the wheel arches.
Old 07-09-2018
AJOR Gold

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks for the reply.

I have attached fender flare extensions which he cleared. The tires aren't past the flares so that is legal. I did have to move a mudflap a few cm, but done on the spot.

...And had to bend my rear license plate bracket a few mm because it wasn't exactly perpendicular to the road.

He said he can clear my lift, but when I take it to the govt inspection station he said they would flag me for the track width being too great - said the rules say no more than 50 mm, period and there is no cert for that. If I get the lift cleared and change the tires after, the photo won't match and I will have to do a lane change with whatever I replace them with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180907_130207.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	77762   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180907_130216 (1).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	77763  

Last edited by relwell; 07-09-2018 at 01:15 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-09-2018
Established Member

If your not lifting over 50 mill but your combined lift with tires is over 75 I would of thought you'd make it through the lane change test on the standard track width?

Some engineers seem more sensitive to particular rules then others. The vicroads "preferred engineers" that I consulted were not consistent with some wanting more details than others, it's a right royal PITA to say the least.
Old 10-09-2018
AJOR Gold

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks, Struth. The PO has some taller springs on - the rear sits very high compared to the front with the heavy bumper.

In the ACT it is 50mm max in any way, shape or form as I understand it. My tires give me maybe 5mm over stock, so I will replace my rear coils with some shorter 40mm ones and bring it back to Earth to avoid this mess.

Measured the rims best I could and seems like they're 10 BS, so will grab some of the 30 and that should bring them within 4mm of the max. They won't bust me on that, right?

Right?

The engineers I saw here are fine, they picked me apart on my first visit but they want it done right and I want a legal vehicle. Was laughing as I bent my tag holder on my rear bumper a few degrees to perpendicular. So was he, though.

Once I get it lowered and the tires moved in the rig should be under all compliance rules and won't need a cert to be 100% clear. I hope...
Old 10-09-2018
Established Member

All the best but if you don't end up with a setup you like...

...here's something you can like

couldn't resist
Old 11-09-2018
AJOR Gold

Check out my Ride(s)

Haha!

Right now I want it legal and not to have to worry about Johnny Law being too interested in me. I have had my TJ's and XJ's and d300's and 35's and 4.7 Stroker and and and...

This JK is the family rig, so for now the fact it is a Rubicon on a small lift with plenty of armor means it'll easily handle anything I intend to throw at it. Hell, anything harder and it is cheaper to buy another TJ than modify this boat. Now that's an idea...

The worst part for me is I think the stock jeep rims gathering dust in my garage are 7.5" wide and have enough BS to get the track width right until I buy another set of steelies.

I hate the stock rims.

I hate them.

So....so much.