Return of the Red 99 Sport! - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2020
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

Anyway back to Reality " It's Time to Spend $Money$ " ...
Don't you Love saying that while Looking at the Books!
But Unfortunately it is a Necessity here in the outback I have a disability and cant walk far (worse when I am pissed) Now the Mother in Law is in a nursing home in Barcaldine 106 k away ... So you really need 2 reliable cars ..............
So the quickest and easiest way to do that is pull the red 99 out of Limbo!
as much as it Saddens Me to see Lulubelle my PT just Sitting in the Driveway...... She will have to Wait
They say Bad Luck Comes in 3's........ I near had a Heart Attack Today!
1... The PT does a Timing Belt ...
2... I went to Drink Schooners on Saturday and test my new kegging gear ... and no CO2? The Regulator is Leaking... Brand New!.......................... NO BEER! (Bottles)
(I got on to the Mob and have a new one coming under warranty)
3... Today I went down the IGA on my way to the In Laws to check the DunnyDoor over and I came out and the 96 was Leaking Coolant!...... AaRrHhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
After Everything I have Done!
And it wasn't even Hot! only driven about a half a K to the shop...
I parked on dirt level ground at the In Laws checked under the hood NOTHING?
I had to go back down the road to get some tranny fluid for the DunnyDoor parked in the same place No Puddle?
It was parked on a angle at the IGA pass side down there must of been coolant in a or between a body panel ? from when the bottom rad hose had the tiny hole? I checked everything when I got home No Leaks No Coolant Use?
Enough to Scare the Crap out of You !
So before I get to the Red 99 Sport .....
Tomorrow I am talking the 96 to Barcaldine 106 k away the first serious test of the flush ............ and ZJ fan upgrade
Should be Interesting!
I inspected the 99 today dust and cobwebs
I ordered a tyre a Federal Couragia 235x75x15 about $230ish up here that gives the red 99 sport 4 new tyres all the same
Valve cover gasket $ 53.00
Liquid Intelligence 239 Engine Flush .... FREE!
Nulon Coolant $60.00
Oil Oil Filter ? $60.00
Battery $150
Diff Oil $40.00 and some sealant ?
Brake Fluid I have some but will need more to flush the system out .. $15.00
My Labour and a good Clean and that will get me a RWC
+ (Living in a small town knowing the local mechanic who knows the history of the red 99 and it's for Me Not to Sell it will get a RWC)
As a millionaire Pensioner I estimate about 6 weeks to 2 months to get it back on the Road
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_).............................
Old 09-06-2020
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Good story.. You may be a pensioner, but i don't think you would have the time to work anyway. Your too busy making beer, visiting relatives and fixing Jeeps haha.

Anyway, i don't think you could get the Red 99 on the road for any cheaper. Your prices are pretty well spot on and looks like you can get her back to running well on a good budget.
If you go rocker cover gasket, get the Felpro blue one. Those Felpros are just the best gaskets out.

For the diff gaskets, i have LubeLocker re-usable ones. They are expensive, but you can use them over and over and they don't leak. If you don't want to fork out for expensive diff gaskets, just use a small tube of RTV..Get the black one. You put a bead all around... fit the cover and only lightly nip it up. Then after and hour or two, you tighten it up properly.

That 6 weeks you have given yourself should be ample time to do the good flush and get the XJ spick and span.

Hope it all goes well.. keep us updated.

Cheers,
Old 10-06-2020
AJOR Bronze

Yeah Alex I do get a bit long winded and spin a yarn after a few beers .... would be boring otherwise
And my life is never boring
So the tyre is ordered and O'l Mate had to order some RTV in He has the Diff Oil in stock I need one more bottle of Brake Fluid to bleed the brakes Hopefully all this on Mon or Tues then I have to take a Secret Squirrel Unreg Trip Home OoooWHhhhhh! Up near the Dump through the dirt tracks of the "Industrial Estate" ..... Watch out for Dirt Bikes and end up 2 streets from home I am not getting a Permit to go 1 klm I want to have it at home by Wed parked out the back under the sale ready for the flush and valve cover gasket Yeah Alex I am going to order one of those blue gaskets
even though the red99 runs good temps I am going to flush it I will take nearly a week like I did with the blue 96 and be careful of the bottom radiator hose it will be interesting to see what comes out
Keep everyone posted on my progress
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 11-06-2020
AJOR Bronze

you have Bad Luck and then you Have Good Luck I asked on the For Sale /Wanted section about looking for a Nudge Bar and and there you go with in 24 hours another Great forum Member MonsterMK2 responded Fast 50 or Pineapple + Freight ... not in the budget but its what I want for the 99
96 went to Barcaldine today 212 round trip ... Temps?
I will finish off the Liquid Intelligence thread with this Final Report
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_) Keg Beer Soon
Old 13-06-2020
AJOR Bronze

Here we go I brought the 99 over today I thought I would have the brakes and diff before moving it ?
I filled the master cylinder and got reasonable brake pressure but still crap brakes ..... I checked the diff it was still half to two thirds full good enough for me to drive 1 kilometre at around 40 kph ...... put a litre of fuel in it I am sure I put a couple of litres in it a year ago fuel light on any way ........
and I bought it home the back way All Good!
I am not going to worry about the diff at the moment I will top up and clean so it looks good for the roadworthy I will fix that later ....
It has a few more little issues I need to address over the next few weeks .............

_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 13-06-2020
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Does the diff just need resealing, or is there another problem?
I chased weak brakes for a long time. To get the Jeep stopping, you should make sure the rear brakes are adjusted right up and everything is good inside the drums. The fronts should have good quality pads. Might have to flush the brake fluid and do a good bleed.

The Red 99 looks good..

Cheers,
Old 14-06-2020
AJOR Bronze

Alex the rear brakes are all new I did them about 2 months ago and the wheel cylinders I just haven't got around to bleeding them and definitely a seal on the diff
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Post New Thread  Reply