What have you done to your JK this week? 2.5M Views - Page 1481 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2016
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Hey seacomms were the airbags not enough on there own? I am about to get mine checked by a caravan towing centre, I know my springs are too soft and it is an uncomfortable towing experience. So I was hoping to get away with just airbags, did you need both?
My van weighs about 1800kg fully loaded
Cheers
The airbags on their own lift the rear adequately but do not transfer load to the front wheels. They work well, but the WDH works better so I use that for long distance road towing and the bags for going up the beach. The WDH can not be used in off road situations, in fact the instructions tell you to remove them for going up a driveway...

The other issue was my 1000kg van has a 190kg tow bar weight which is way over the 160kg limit for my model JK!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 05-07-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 172 Times in 124 Posts

Ok, thanks. I will probably get a WDH. Not planning on offroad work in the van, just dirt roads. (It's a semi-offroad pop top) it is the on road bouncing/swaying that makes it feel dodgy!
Cheers.
Old 05-07-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

Installed the Wild Boar grab handles:

I am really pleasantly surprised at how solid they feel, considering they are held in place with just two bolts.

Just remember to use a magnet or something to capture the bolts that come out of the A-pillars unless you want to learn how to pull the trim apart.

I added some Polyfil to the sound bar. It didn't make much difference but that's OK because it only cost me $10 and 10 minutes of my time.

I also installed my Evo transmission skid plate and the Teraflex exhaust spacers:

The general fit, finish and design is up to the usual excellent Evo standards and it was easy to install after I battled to loosen the transmission mount bolts. A drain hole for the water condensation that runs down the side of the transmission would have been nice but I can always drill one later if it becomes an issue.

The spacers were a bastard to get in because the mid-pipe indexing stop did not come off easily at all. BFH and 30 minutes of chiseling later, I got the Dremel out and carefully ground off what was left of it.

My next battle was getting the driver's side spacer and flanges to line up while getting the cross-pipe level with the crossmember so it will clear the Evo crossmember skid that I have sitting on the shelf. The cross-pipe stll needs to be raised 4-5mm on the driver's side - anybody have any ideas?
Old 05-07-2016
Established Member

Liked 83 Times in 51 Posts

I actually just fitted the evo trans crossmember skid 2 days ago and I have the Synergy exhaust spacers. My pipe hangs exactly how yours is which I wasn't 100% comfortable with, especially since I'm heading up the Cape this month and can't afford to have anything go wrong giving the Toyota drivers something to rub in my face.
I ended up putting shims between the evo bash plate and chassis, it obviously makes it sit lower but I'm more comfortable getting that bashed around than my exhaust. I can post pics tomorrow if you like?
I also have the AEV geometry correction brackets which, although not a huge issue made it take longer than it had to. Because the brackets and the skid both bolt onto the left hand lower control arm bolt it pushed the skid about 5mm to the right so the holes on the left hand side didn't want to line up and because I already had it half on and didn't want to remove it I was underneath the car with a die grinder getting the holes to line up. Turned an easy job into a PITA.

Last edited by spoondog; 05-07-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-07-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoondog View Post
I ended up putting shims between the evo bash plate and chassis, it obviously makes it sit lower but I'm more comfortable getting that bashed around than my exhaust. I can post pics tomorrow if you like?
If you have pics of the shims, I would appreciate it.

I also have LCA drop brackets that I was going to install this weekend - thanks for the heads-up about aligning everything.
Old 06-07-2016
I just registered

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

Fitted some new led headlights as the originals shattered after hitting a cold bog hole down the west coast , very happy with these 60watters

07 Rubicon ,3.5" 4dr aev springs ,aev drop brackets, bilstein shocks, ome steering stabilizer , 98series procomp 17 x 9 wheels, 35" mtz's ,xrc mod front bar,rampage rear bar , custom rock sliders , LPG vapour injection
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1467772788393.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	74343   Click image for larger version

Name:	1467772804291.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	74344  
Old 06-07-2016
Established Member

Liked 83 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_za View Post
If you have pics of the shims, I would appreciate it.

I also have LCA drop brackets that I was going to install this weekend - thanks for the heads-up about aligning everything.
I tried for ages to upload some pics but it keeps saying 'uploaded file is not an image' I've uploaded before and it's worked so I don't know what's going on. If anyone has any ideas that'd be great.
Post New Thread  Reply