Simpson Desert Drifta Style - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts
Default Simpson Desert Drifta Style

Came across this video and the other parts of the series.

I may have crossed paths with these guys on my recent travels in the area.

By the time you get to part 4, you could be mistaken for thinking that you did the trip with them. You can tell they had such a great time.

Great cooking too. The pizzas in part 4 are a revelation!

https://youtu.be/Uoi8c2_qROs
Old 21-08-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

Yes well I enjoyed the videos: quite informative. Good gear.

A coupe of things.

Why is it that so many of this genre of videos include so much cooking? I thought the videos were to be about driving the Simpson. God knows how much food these guys took with them, and grog (beer etc and wine etc). I usually travel simple and light and find cooking at the end of a day tiresome. These guys seemed to have had a 5 course buffet every night. How much toilet paper did they need/use. Oh, and having used it, what was done with it?

These blokes had good gas stoves, impressive heat bead setups etc for cooking. The latter would have been more than adequate for warming up around a camp fire.
So why was it necessary to make huge bonfires at night with the sparse timber that lies around the campsites. Some of this timber may have laid on the ground for many decades. Burnt and gone to nothing in a matter of minutes. This might be "dead" timber but it has purpose as habitat for small creatures etc and it also stabilises the dune system. I am dead against this sort of unthinking behaviour. If u want huge bonfires take timber with you. Leave a lot of the grog at home so as to have the space to do so. Some of the food too. If Drifta wants to advertise and promote its gear, it should also promote responsible outback camping.The sleeping gear made a fire stoked well into the night superfluous.

Just my thoughts. I am no greenie but I do think that people need to think about the impact their camping has on the outback environment in which they camp. It takes hundreds of years to correct the damage done by unthinking people.

I know I am going to cop a roasting but someone has to start the conversation about these things. I shudder at some of the significant environmental damage done by many, some of whom are professional groups paid to promote outback gear via free videos. And by outback tour operators who often seem clueless about the bush.

Also, I thought taking trailers across the Simpson was discouraged..

Cheers.

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 21-08-2019 at 04:37 AM.
Old 22-08-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

Yes, it is amazing how much food this group went through. I didn't see any logs or branches on the roof racks but they may have BYOd it.

They used a lot of charcoal and gas for the cook fest. They did reuse their coals, took their rubbish with them and did not litter. Nobody went hungry but there would have been a lot of toilet visits.

It would be interesting to know what their carbon footprint was on that trip, fuel included.
Old 22-08-2019
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Being one that just got back from the Simo ( I crossed east to west about the time this video was posted) I can till you there were plenty crossing with campers, some doing it easy and some not so. It appeared to me (my opinion) that the ones that stayed light , had wider tyres and LOWERED THEIR PRESSURES had few problems.

Those that packed all their gear in the trailer struggled. But in saying that I didn't see any abandoned trailers, plenty of bent twin cabs but no damaged trailers left in the desert.

With 18 psi only one dune stopped me and that's because I chose the les used track for a bit of fun . Backed out and took the right line and walked it.

You are right about the scavenging of fire wood, you are banned from collecting it but it would be nearly impossible to enforce out there unless someone say videoed it and put it on youtube or something
If this practice doesn't stop fires will be banned in all the Simpson like they are between Purni bore and Mt Dare (Witjira National Park).

That first water crossing was closed when we were there and we were warned not to try it as there was a big fines if you got caught doing it. The Police had been there the morning we were and lucky for us they had shortened the bypass to only 15km to a shallow section up stream.

Our camp setup wasn't as flash but we were well fed and enjoyed every 547.6km of it.

Our camp setup and kitchen

My Biolite fire pit

No wood fire sign in Witjira NP

Slumming it with a Toyota

And for all drone pilots
Drones are banned in in national parks in SA also, signs everywhere at Dalhousie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190805_190625.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	78493   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190805_192114.jpg
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	78494   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190805_203759.jpg
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	78495   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190806_103323.jpg
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	78496   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190803_105251.jpg
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	78497  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190804_160748.jpg
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	78498  
Old 23-08-2019
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 118 Times in 69 Posts

What’s the reason drones have been banned?
Not that I use one but surely they are harmless out in the middle of nowhere...

By the way, love the biolite fire pit, that’s going on my wish list.

Last edited by Hoppy99; 23-08-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 23-08-2019
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 138 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy99 View Post
What’s the reason drones have been banned?
Not that I use one but surely they are harmless out in the middle of nowhere...

https://droneadvice.com.au/drone-rul...-need-to-know/
Old 23-08-2019
Head Honcho

Liked 1,177 Times in 710 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

ACT
The ACT Government website for drone use in the ACT unfortunately does not include a drone policy when it comes to flying drones in national parks. According to the website, the best place to get information is from this CASA webpage.

Victoria
According to Parks Victoria, “recreational use of RPAS by the general public is prohibited on Parks Victoria managed land.” RPAS means remotely piloted aircraft systems (drones). A permit is required to film commercially.

Tasmania
According to Parks & Wildlife Services (PWS) Tasmania, “the operation and use of drones on reserved land is not permitted” unless written permission has been granted by PWS. PWS states that there are exceptions for commercial and event filming, and scientific research. An application is required to gain the benefit of these exceptions.

South Australia
According to National Parks South Australia, “it is an offense to fly drones (remotely piloted aircraft) in South Australia’s national parks, reserves and marine park restricted access zones without a permit.” Exceptions have been made for scientific research and for commercial filming or photography. An application is required to gain the benefit of these exceptions.

Western Australia
According to the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions, there are 5 rules that need to be complied with while “using your RPA in Western Australia’s national parks and other conservation reserves managed under the Conservation and Land Management Act 1984 (CALM Act)”. These rules include complying with all of CASA’s legislative and regulatory requirements and complying with the CALM Act.

Northern Territory
The Northern Territory government website states that “you need a permit to land or use any kind of aircraft in a park or reserve in the Northern Territory (NT), including drones.” Information about obtaining permits is included on the website. The website also includes other rules about flying drones in Northern Territory parks and reserves.

Queensland
Last but certainly not least, Queensland has the most relaxed rules out of all Australian states and territories. According to the Business Queensland government website, “filming and photography activities involving up to 10 people without prescribed structures do not require a Commercial Activity Permit”.

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Post New Thread  Reply