2.7 drivers - Page 10 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-09-2013
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Bosch Australia have them in stock, I got mine the next day when I placed the order.

Jason
Old 17-09-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It seems that I am getting on here to solve a new problem every week! But this is an urgent one as I am planning to be on my way up the Cape in 6 days time! :/

My gearbox (auto) is locked in limp mode at the moment and I have taken it into the Jeep dealer to try and get it fixed before the trip. Today they have said that they think the gear box solenoid (05138838AA) is busted and want to replace it. Unfortunately they have quoted me $1,100 and 3 weeks to get it done.

Has anyone else had a similar problem to this? I am hoping that either Jeep has overlooked something simple in their repair, or perhaps there is a MB part number for the solenoid as they seem to have a better spare parts (and better priced) system.

Appreciate any feedback as I am keen to get the car on the road ASAP!
Old 17-09-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have found one reference to a MB part number: A 203 270 00 89

http://starparts.chrysler.com/home/ChryMB.pdf
(Just found this but seems like a useful document?)
Old 17-09-2013
No Winching

Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

I have just had a look and seen them online for about $230 US so they are not an expensive part but not sure whether you will find one locally that cheap. Best bet would be probably MB Spares or an MB dealer. I have never priced one locally though.

Pretty easy job to replace yourself if you are at all handy. There is a good write up on replacing the conductor plate and the solenoids are in the same place as the plate. You do have to drain the fluid and remove the valve body but there is almost nothing to go wrong in so far as bits falling out. The solenoids are just press fit by hand. You could do the job in about an hour or so.

Edit: Just had a look at the Europarts catalogue where I have bought a couple of things and 3 of the solenoids are $47, 1 is $61 and the other 2 are $204. It would appear that the solenoid you are referring to is the Type C of which there are the 2 and the dearest.

As far as whether this is the fix don't know, were there other symptoms. One would hope Jeep have diagnosed but your explanation of "they think" is not comforting and I presume they are replacing both. Have they indicated which one.

3 weeks will be waiting on parts no doubt because like I said it is not a big job to replace by any means.

Look here : http://europarts-sd.com/transmission_2.asp?pgID=5

Last edited by fester; 17-09-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 17-09-2013

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Fester is correct.

I got mine done earlier this year at a tranny shop in Brisbane for $825 (included change of tranny fluids and new electrical fitting).

I had a leak, no problem with limp mode.

You should get the electrical fitting done at the same time, it is a $30 part and a common failure point in these trannys.

No waiting for parts for me, so don't see why you should have to wait so long.

A good tranny shop in Townsville should be able to do this - this is not an uncommon gear box.

A Fester says, you do want to make sure this is the issue before spending your money.

A common limp mode problem is caused by a battery that is on the way out. If you are going up Cape York a new battery is a worthwhile consideration.

Cheers
Old 17-09-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As far as other symptoms go, it locked itself into limp mode (I think my fault from under filling the oil) so took it into Jeep, they have cleared all the codes and refilled the transmission, however one code keeps coming up (unsure the code #). They said their best bet is to replace that part number. So far they have checked the plug into the gearbox, and all the wiring to the computer. I will talk to them again tomorrow and get the error code number and confirm if it is just the one solenoid they want to replace.

3 weeks was all waiting for parts out of the US, they quoted 3 hours labour to replace it (seems excessive!). Normally I would replace it myself, however as I am keen to have it working sooner rather then later, I might cough up the cash and not risk me messing up the oil again! (also still need the code cleared when its fixed)

As for finding the solenoid once I can confirm if it is just the one that needs replacing I will try the MB dealer up here. They have been pretty good at getting parts for me before, so fingers crossed! Failing that I will look at MB spares and get express posting!

Also does that europarts website have a way of showing MB part numbers? The description that the solenoid part number ends in 03 98 seems to suggest I have the wrong part number.
Old 17-09-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

@ markredgum, I have heard about the leaking plug and replaced it about a week ago myself for $26 from MB for the new part, I think that refilling the oil is what started the problems though :/

My next bet after MB for a solenoid is to try thr tranny shops up here and see if they can source the part for me as well, it does seem to be a part in a lot of gearboxes!

Also the battery is not even a year old, and if I get time before the trip I have a 105Ah AGM battery and CTEK charger ready to install as well (....if i get time!)
Post New Thread  Reply