Will 285 s FIT? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-02-2007
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Talking Will 285 s FIT?

Hey there I have a 2inch OME lift, Does anyone know if I can fit 285/70's with out scraping out off road! What size do most WJ owners go that have proven them selfs with similar set up???
Old 19-02-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemijeepy
Hey there I have a 2inch OME lift, Does anyone know if I can fit 285/70's with out scraping out off road! What size do most WJ owners go that have proven them selfs with similar set up???
Hi, I have 265/75's .. the difference is minimal according to http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

The problems I experienced is that you don't have the full play with the steering. If we turn the steering wheel all the way it starts chaffing(?) the control arm(s) and the inside of the wheel arch. It is in reverse worse then forward. That is despite a 6" lift

This can be addressed with wheel spacers or having custom rims with a bigger backspace. I would be careful as with spacers or bigger backspace the tire is not centered over the hubs anymore and you put more strain on the hubs.

Your speedo is out by about 7.5% (meaning when it reads 100kph you are actuallly driving 107k[h).

In addition there is a noticable increase in fuel consumption (approx 2l/100km) and less power and torque. On a dynamo it measure 12hp less. However I don't believe that I did an accurate test as the 265/75s are mud tires (Eldorado Trail cutters M/T ... great tires) and the 245/70s are Cooper STs.

Hope this helps, Dante
Old 19-02-2007
The Leaver of Red Jeeps

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Yeah, they'll fit with just a 2" lift. But you'll break a bunch of Sawzall blades getting it to the point where they will fit...!
Old 19-02-2007
AJOR Bronze

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

What size would you use?? I do go offroad quite often and keeping it highway safe is still a must! any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks
Old 19-02-2007
AJOR Bronze

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Oh one more thing fitting a 20 mm spacer ???? What do you all think would you do it to yours??? Cheers
Old 19-02-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

using spacers accentuates the turning arc of the tyres/wheels and will make them rub also,i run spacers on my cj6 and they rub in places they dont without them ,
they also add more stress to the front knuckles as they move the weight of the wheel/tyre furtherout.
Old 19-02-2007
AJOR Bronze

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

wow this is turning into a lost cause! haha so what size do you run on your WJ and what do you think I should use!
Post New Thread  Reply