WK2 Off Road Tyres - Page 86 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman View Post
For all of those who have fitted larger tyres to their WK2's.

The popular size of 275/65R18 will give a speedo error of 5.1% and the speedo will show 95kmh when you are actually doing 100kmh. Also, your odometers will be affected.

On my last vehicle I went up 2 tyre sizes and installed a speed correction device to compensate.

Is there a way to compensate with the WK2?

Cheers,

DM
Yeah as everyone else mentions, tested with GPS, speed is dead on at 100.

The factory calibration is a bit optimistic.
Old 05-05-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 61 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
Yeah as everyone else mentions, tested with GPS, speed is dead on at 100.

The factory calibration is a bit optimistic.
Running 265/65 18s. According to 2 GPSs speed on the speedo is dead on.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 18-07-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Looks like LT off road tyre choice in the OEM 18 inch size has opened up now with Coopers doing their range (AT3 available in either LT or P) AT3, ST Maxx, STT PRO available in LT in the 265/60R18 size.

More choice is good folks!
Old 18-07-2016
Established Member

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Nice find.
Looks like the AT3 is also available in 265/65/18 in LT,
Old 25-07-2016
marsyandme
Visitor

If anyone is interested I have the following for sale

275/65R18 Cooper STT Pros x5 done less than 1000km's
275/65R18 Cooper AT 3 x4 done 3000km's

Located Caulfield South Victoria PM for more details
Old 25-07-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 133 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsyandme View Post
If anyone is interested I have the following for sale

275/65R18 Cooper STT Pros x5 done less than 1000km's

275/65R18 Cooper AT 3 x4 done 3000km's

Located Caulfield South Victoria PM for more details

Wish you were in Adelaide!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28-09-2016

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So, I’ve read this entire thread and I’m still not convinced which way to go. I’ve also been reading here and on various tyre websites about ‘LT’ vs ‘P’ rated tyres and that also leaves some room for doubt.

I am getting a 2” CRDSTU lift on my 2011 GC Laredo 3.6 and I want the larger 65 series tyre on the Laredo 18” rim. I’m tossing up the 275 vs the 265 not for the slightly larger diameter but for the higher load rating.

For example in the Yoko Geolandar ATS G012 (which is NOT an ‘LT’) which I’m considering, the 275/65 has a load index of 123 (1550kg/tyre) vs the 265/65 at 113 (1150 kg/tyre) which would indicate that the 275 would have a much stiffer sidewall and should hopefully be better in terms of overall strength and when lowering tyre pressures.

The load ratings above bring me back to the LT discussion:
We know that ‘ply rating’ doesn’t actually mean layers of cotton anymore but is an equivalent load rating for LT tyres however this from an American (I think) website: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=55

There’s quite a bit about construction etc but specifically:

LT-Metric, LT-Flotation and LT-Numeric Light Truck Tires
Load Range Ply Rating Abbreviated Maximum Load Pressure
B 4 B 35 psi (240 kPa)***
C 6 C 50 psi (350 kPa)***
D 8 D 65 psi (450 kPa)***
E 10 E 80 psi (550 kPa)***
F 12 F 95 psi (650 kPa)***
***Selected large LT sizes are designed with reduced maximum load pressures

Euro-Metric Commercial Vehicle/Van Tires
Load Index Maximum Load Pounds Maximum Load Pressure
116/114 2,705/2,600 69 psi (475 kPa)
118/116 2,910/2,755 75 psi (525 kPa)
121/120 3,195/3,085 83 psi (575 kPa)

So with all of that in mind:

Is an ‘LT’ construction technically no different to a non ‘LT’ (I wont refer to it as ‘P’ for the sake of the argument) that has a load index of equivalent weight per tyre? It is after all just a measurement of the relative loads the tyre can take, and in the example of the 275 Geolandar above its load index 123 is well above those in the Euro-metric commercial table above.

And if that is the case then what is the argument for saying that LT is more damage resistant than non-LT apart from the actual load rating? Is it not then down to the individual manufacturers tyre construction method?

Last thing – If one was to go with 275/65 would it be ok to use a 265/65 as the spare (for reasons of getting the wheel well closed)? The difference is about 13mm in diameter. Is that likely to make any difference at all to the road manners, ESC or safety of operation? I know others have mentioned 255/70 as an option for the spare but I’d rather have an A/T spare than a H/T which seems to be all that can be had in that size in Oz.

Thanks.

Last edited by Veg; 28-09-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply