fridges in the shorty? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 43 Times in 38 Posts
Default fridges in the shorty?

Might be getting a little specific here but anyone with a 2dr / rear seats removed running a fridge on a slide? Looking for an idea of what this setup does to cargo space. I figure it's going to eat up a fair bit more usable space than an esky maneuvered up against the wheel well, but without the need to pack in ice the numbers on tins p/cm3 may stack up. Things are starting to get complicated back there, too risky to experiment without a visual.
Old 04-10-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

I am guessing that there will be enough space along the length of the loading bay but the load tie-down points' locations might make it difficult to attach the slide. If you are going to use a slide, look into a getting or making a load shelf and a load barrier.
Old 18-10-2017
AJOR Silver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I’m getting a full set of drawers made up where the top deck sits level with the body line, I’ll have mount points on top for a spare wheel at an angle (comp truck style, for lack of a better explanation) and will swap that out with a bolt down system for the fridge when a longer camping trip is underway, putting the wheel back on the gate. (I don’t want the 37 on the gate in a shorty if I’m into some proper rough stuff, to much weight in wrong place. I hope swapping out the bed mounted spare for the fridge mount doesn’t piss me off to much. Pic just an example but picture the fridge where the tyre is but to the left or right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://bit.ly/1eFBSY5
Old 18-10-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JL
Liked 49 Times in 38 Posts

I just chuck my fridge in the back and strap it down. No slide as I don't want to relocate jack etc and loose the under floor storage
Old 19-10-2017
SwampDigger

Liked 538 Times in 397 Posts

I built my own full width slide, (in the JKU), but split the shelf. Fridge gets strapped down on the left, and you can lift the rigt side for access to the storage without pulling the slide out.

Links for those who can't see the phuzzy phone photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LBowm8cdr6jbbYFr1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5riHk4VIU4NXsQi52

Last edited by Banshee; 19-10-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 19-10-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 43 Times in 38 Posts

Test fitted a 40L engel and fits in just right between the rear tie down and the seat mounting points, think no slide will be the way to go for me in the end. Can those little tie down tabs at the rear be relied upon though? They look kinda pissweak
Old 19-10-2017
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevillebartos View Post
Test fitted a 40L engel and fits in just right between the rear tie down and the seat mounting points, think no slide will be the way to go for me in the end. Can those little tie down tabs at the rear be relied upon though? They look kinda pissweak
I used them to tie down my 50L fridge until I sorted out drawers and a slide with no issues. I found them fine for on the beach or medium tracks that I drive on.

My theory was if I had to rely on them to hold the fridge if I rolled it then it was the least of my problems.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Post New Thread  Reply